Lost location services since firmware update (developer edition)

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Since I updated to the latest firmware every app that requires location claims that location services are turned off, even though all of them are clearly enabled. As a result my weather widgets just say "current location" and apps like Maps and Google Now don't function properly. Anyone else having this problem?

howard1979

May 2, 2013
Visit site
It is not caused by firmware update. It is related to google map update and facebook update. (Not sure which, can be both. But likely to be Google).
You can either wait for the next update from Google (or Facebook?) or do a Factory reset, which will solve the problem.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
i found this in another thread that fixed my 'current location' problem. maybe it will clear everything up?

"go to settings>apps>all apps search for "weather" and clear the data out on the weather app and weather widget. It seems to have fixed the issue."

HunterKen7

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Yup, had to do a factory reset in order to fix it. No matter what was checked/unchecked, the location service wouldnt start. You can see this by going to Settings >> Apps >> Running. There should be a Google services listing with the Network Location Service running inside.

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Well that sucks. I didn't even realize I had this issue until I saw this thread. I don't want to do another factory reset. What a pain.

Well the factory reset fixed the location issue, but it explains why my phone was getting such good battery life. With the location service back my battery is back to draining very quickly.

Last edited:

Rikirm

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I am having a similar issue, although only with Google Now and Maps. Maps seems to be working fine and it gets my location ok but every now and then I get an error message: unfortunately Maps has stopped. Other location based apps seem not to be able to get a GPS fix sometimes. I used to have GPS Status and since the Google update, it kept on looking for GPS signal, whereas before the update it worked flawlessly. I removed it.
I am new to Android. The HTC ONE is my first Android Phone after two iPhones. I understand that Android is not iOS and I can live with a little less stability but honestly I wasn?t expecting to have to do a factory reset after only one month of use.
As for factory reset, I understand this brings my HTC ONE to its original status when I unpacked it. I have HTC backup enabled on Dropbox. The Backup file itself is rather small, about 26mb. Can I be sure that it will reinstall all my downloaded apps as well as all my settings?

Thank you

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I am having a similar issue, although only with Google Now and Maps. Maps seems to be working fine and it gets my location ok but every now and then I get an error message: unfortunately Maps has stopped. Other location based apps seem not to be able to get a GPS fix sometimes. I used to have GPS Status and since the Google update, it kept on looking for GPS signal, whereas before the update it worked flawlessly. I removed it.
I am new to Android. The HTC ONE is my first Android Phone after two iPhones. I understand that Android is not iOS and I can live with a little less stability but honestly I wasn?t expecting to have to do a factory reset after only one month of use.
As for factory reset, I understand this brings my HTC ONE to its original status when I unpacked it. I have HTC backup enabled on Dropbox. The Backup file itself is rather small, about 26mb. Can I be sure that it will reinstall all my downloaded apps as well as all my settings?

Thank you

Hopefully this doesn't sour your Android experience. It seems the location issues are related to Google's recent update to search not playing nice, and not something integral to the One itself.

Before you do the reset, also make sure to backup your SMS messages too (if they're important to you). For some reason those are separate from the other backup. And to answer your question, restoring from the backup will put everything back in its place and re-download all of your apps minus the ones you paid money for. It takes about 10 minutes for the phone to put everything back in its proper place, including the custom arrangement of your app drawer. As a result, don't expect it to look exactly like it did before right when you get to your home screen. After some time it'll look the way it did before the reset and it won't overwrite any photos, videos, or system settings.

Kylazin

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Just as an update, even after the factory reset, the problem came back. Must have something to do with the Maps update. I'll just sit tight since Big G knows about the issue.

Rikirm

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Is this affecting several kind of phones or only the HTC ONE?
I guess if only the ONE is affected, Google won?t feel the pressure to release a patch for it. Might well leave HTC to do it.

ShinKen

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Is this affecting several kind of phones or only the HTC ONE?
I guess if only the ONE is affected, Google won?t feel the pressure to release a patch for it. Might well leave HTC to do it.

Seems to be only impacting HTC devices from the thread I am following over at Google support. Makes me wonder what HTC did differently...

Posted via Android Central App