Managing and monitoring Android phones

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I have a bunch of Android phones in my organization. Most of them are Moto G (3, 4 and 4 play) with a few other Androids. Most of theme should be running Marshmallow, although one or two may be a bit further back.

I need to be able to manage these phones. The single most important thing I need to be able to do is to manage the amount of data these people can use. I just had someone use a ridiculous amount of data, leaving us with some significant (and unexpected) overages. I need to keep this from happening. If it's not possible, I'd at least like to be able to get automated reports of how much data is being used for what, per phone that could be sent to the appropriate supervisor.

I'd also like to monitor and control what people are doing with their phones.

These are all company owned phones and the data costs are also being paid by the company- no one is expecting this level of control over a personal phone.

There was an article recently on Parental controls, but I can't find it. I'm not sure that's what I really need here, anyway. Something similar, probably, but doable in a business context. I looked at what our phone carrier (AT&T) offers, and it doesn't offer much, as far as I can see.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
MobileIron, AirWatch. I don't know what controls those corporate management apps have for data usage but they can certainly be used to monitor the devices and control aspects of them.

Google also has Android for Work out - check into that, though it may require use of one of the 3rd-party tools as I know the company I support uses MobileIron to manage AfW devices. https://www.android.com/work/

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I don't know how I missed this...

GFW doesn't seem to have the full capacity I need, based on what they have told me. Possibly combined with these other products, it might work. I'm looking at those.

What has been your experience with MobileIron?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
My experience is just as a user and support agent (but not administrator), I can't really speak to how well it works for administering devices.