Media Server killing battery

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
What the heck is media server?

The last few weeks it's been showing up as major battery drain. This morning been unplugged 1:21 minutes and down to 80% and gsam says app usage is 64.7% of that and Media Server is 47% of that.

What is it? I haven't done anything but browse some sites, no videos played, and texted like 3 people.

Thanks.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Here is a pic of gsam since 6 hrs and 40 mins when I reset gsam for a custom time frame.

Isn't the discharge while on/off supposed to be less when off??

Attachments

• 2090.jpg
    2090.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 155

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
And other shot of main screen

It was 96% when I reset it and didn't use it, in my pocket for most of time until 4:30 (reset around 12) and I'm at 18% at 6:41 pm

Attachments

• 2089.jpg
    2089.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 144

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What the heck is media server?

The last few weeks it's been showing up as major battery drain. This morning been unplugged 1:21 minutes and down to 80% and gsam says app usage is 64.7% of that and Media Server is 47% of that.

What is it? I haven't done anything but browse some sites, no videos played, and texted like 3 people.

Thanks.

Media Server can work overtime if a media file has become corrupted. Do you have a lot of photos or videos stored? It can be pretty tedious, but you may want to backup all of your photos, videos, and music, then erase them from the phone. (It's a good idea to backup your photos/videos regularly anyway.)

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Media Server can work overtime if a media file has become corrupted. Do you have a lot of photos or videos stored? It can be pretty tedious, but you may want to backup all of your photos, videos, and music, then erase them from the phone. (It's a good idea to backup your photos/videos regularly anyway.)

I have them on Google photos

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If they're backed up to your Google Photos in the cloud, then you can open the Photos app on your phone, tap Menu>Settings, then Free Up Device Storage. Google Photos will determine which photos are backed up to the cloud, and delete them from the device only.

Jonbo298

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Media server "went rogue" on me a few days ago too. To the point where I had the screen on for an hour doing stuff and it was still using more battery than the screen. Didn't figure out what media file may have been/become bad but this site is helpful on resolving it if it keeps happening. Fix Android Media server scanner SDcard CPU, Battery drain (just don't think literal for SD card since it's the Note 5 but Samsung still uses SD card directories so those steps are still applicable with a few tweaks)

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I hate this media server. Ugh. I can't find anything to help.

I've got all photos and videos backed up to google photos and then cleared out my gallery. Also deleted iHeartRadio.

I don't know what else to do other than factory reset it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also go to the App Manager, select Media Storage, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. (You might have to tap the Menu button first and select Show System in order to see Media Storage.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Does it matter if you Clear Cache/Data from Chrome? Someone in that thread did mention that Clear Data seemed to fix it (while someone else noted that Clear Cache didn't).

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Disable or uninstall chrome browser and use something else. This is what finally fixed the problem for me. I tried media re.scan and even a factory reset but after a day or two the problem came back. Have had zero issues since disabling chrome.

Edit:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/EJSiLeWiN7Q

I've found several of these threads and they all point to chrome.

I uninstalled chrome and media server isn't even showing up on my battery list in gsam since i uninstalled it.

Thank you!!

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
What is sandbox or sandboxed ?

I had a string of some process that had sandbox written in it with chrome. Actually 2 of them. Now i have one with sbrowser but it's small battery use.

nutt_case

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Does it matter if you Clear Cache/Data from Chrome? Someone in that thread did mention that Clear Data seemed to fix it (while someone else noted that Clear Cache didn't).

Not for me at least. Some even say chrome beta solved the issue for them, but I tried the beta and dev channel and still had it.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I too uninstalled Chrome and haven't had the problems with drain and mediaserver since. I love Chrome but will leave it off my phone until I see that the problem has been solved.

bjones7134

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I've been having this same issue since my SM-T700 upgraded to 6.0.1 this month. I've been having other issues too since last month with screen/button freeze up for a bit, having to hold the power button down to shut it off, then it works fine after reboot. But within 24 hrs it happens again. I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I've had no such issue with my Note 4 on 6.0.1 since last month. But I don't use the browser much on my phone, but it is still installed on it. I'd hate to lose access to my bookmarks on my tablet, but I'll keep it off for at least a week and see if the problems persist.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this same issue since my SM-T700 upgraded to 6.0.1 this month. I've been having other issues too since last month with screen/button freeze up for a bit, having to hold the power button down to shut it off, then it works fine after reboot. But within 24 hrs it happens again. I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I've had no such issue with my Note 4 on 6.0.1 since last month. But I don't use the browser much on my phone, but it is still installed on it. I'd hate to lose access to my bookmarks on my tablet, but I'll keep it off for at least a week and see if the problems persist.

You shouldn't lose any of your bookmarks on the tablet by deleting Chrome off your phone. I still have Chrome on the PC and all my bookmarks remain. Tablet should be the same.

bjones7134

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I may have worded it wrong, loose access to my bookmarks using Internet app, I don't see a way of importing them into that browser. I've never had an issue using Chrome on my Note 4, but I don't use it much on that device. But I've never seen media server show up on battery usage list.