The Pixel 5a Battery Endurance Thread

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
One of my main criteria for a cell phone is battery life. Prior to the 5a I have owned Pixel 2XL and Moto Droid Turbo. All were battery beasts. Surprisingly, the 2XL, with it's 3520 mAh battery proved to have better battery endurance than my Droid Turbo, with a larger battery of 3900 mAh.

So here comes the Pixel 5a with an incredible 4680 mAh battery. What kind of battery life will we get?

I've been keeping a log. I don't have much data collected yet, but I just went two full days on a single battery charge. I took my phone off the charger on September 8th at 9:00am at 94% charge. I just put it on the charger this morning, September 10th at 8:31 am and it was at 15% charge. During those two days I had screen on time of 6 hours, 2 minutes. I am thrilled.

Last Sunday I went from 99% charge to 42% charge in 12 hrs. 3 minutes and I had 4 hours 34 minutes screen on time. This tells me I could probably use my 5a phone continuously for over 8 hours between charges. Goodbye battery anxiety!

I have installed GSam battery app and will be keeping an eye on battery performance. This battery app tracks individual app usage and how much they contributed to battery drain, screen on time, battery temp, etc.

[Edited: Overnight I lost 9% of charge in 9 hours 50 minutes. So the battery loses about 0.9% per hour when idling. (Yes, I know this depends on what apps are running in the background.)]

Last edited:

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
One of my main criteria for a cell phone is battery life. Prior to the 5a I have owned Pixel 2XL and Moto Droid Turbo. All were battery beasts. Surprisingly, the 2XL, with it's 3520 mAh battery proved to have better battery endurance than my Droid Turbo, with a larger battery of 3900 mAh.

So here comes the Pixel 5a with an incredible 4680 mAh battery. What kind of battery life will we get?

I've been keeping a log. I don't have much data collected yet, but I just went two full days on a single battery charge. I took my phone off the charger on September 8th at 9:00am at 94% charge. I just put it on the charger this morning, September 10th at 8:31 am and it was at 15% charge. During those two days I had screen on time of 6 hours, 2 minutes. I am thrilled.

Last Sunday I went from 99% charge to 42% charge in 12 hrs. 3 minutes and I had 4 hours 34 minutes screen on time. This tells me I could probably use my 5a phone continuously for over 8 hours between charges. Goodbye battery anxiety!

I have installed GSam battery app and will be keeping an eye on battery performance. This battery app tracks individual app usage and how much they contributed to battery drain, screen on time, battery temp, etc.

[Edited: Overnight I lost 9% of charge in 9 hours 50 minutes. So the battery loses about 0.9% per hour when idling. (Yes, I know this depends on what apps are running in the background.)]

Good to know! I just bought one and waiting for it to arrive. While my Pixel 4A has excellent battery life I opted for this similar phone because of the larger battery. I'm not an excessive user but any GPS navigation really drains battery fast. I rather avoid the battery anxiety. But again for what it is, I was shocked how long my 4A lasts!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just went 36 hours on a single charge.

Went from 95% charge down to 26% in 36 hours, 31 minutes. Screen on time 5 hr. 21 min. which consisted of Twitter 1 hr. 11min, Chrome 46 min, Tapatalk 36 min., Messages 1 hr. 12 min, plus other app usage.

I set my screen brightness to 50% then I turn on adaptive brightness and leave it on. I have adaptive battery turned on.

I see there is a settings option in Battery called adaptive charging which apparently reads your morning alarm setting and adjusts the charging rate so the battery charges slowly overnight reaching full charge by the time you wake up. Slow charging keeps the battery from warming up too much (compared to rapid charging) which extends battery life. Interesting. I don't remember this on my 2XL, though it probably was there since it was on Android 11.

Absolutely loving battery life on the 5a.

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Battery life is a complete non-issue for this phone. Absolutely love it. I forgot to charge it overnight, and it made it all the way through the next day.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I took my phone off the charger @ 10am yesterday morning at 100%. We did some travelling yesterday and right now just after 11pm, I'm at 38 hrs off the charger and 5 hrs of screen on time. Best battery life I've had on a phone.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This keeps getting better and better. Don't know if it's Google magic with their battery optimization software or if the battery is getting "broken in."

I just went TWO DAYS with my phone off the charger. Not only that but I still had 33% battery remaining, after having charged to 96% at 9:24 am Monday morning. I probably could have gone three days between charges, or at a minimum 2 1/2 days. Being weekdays I didn't use my phone as heavily as I do on weekends. I had 4 hours 10 minutes screen on time.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
This keeps getting better and better. Don't know if it's Google magic with their battery optimization software or if the battery is getting "broken in."

I just went TWO DAYS with my phone off the charger. Not only that but I still had 33% battery remaining, after having charged to 96% at 9:24 am Monday morning. I probably could have gone three days between charges, or at a minimum 2 1/2 days. Being weekdays I didn't use my phone as heavily as I do on weekends. I had 4 hours 10 minutes screen on time.

I'm not a power user myself and mostly use my phone for text, calls, and occasional web and youtube browsing. Ended up having to charge at the end of the third day with around 22% charge left on the device. I'm pretty sure it could have lasted a 4th day. Of course this is just my experience based on how I tend to use my phone. I'm very happy!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Off charger: Thursday at 9:06am, 96% charged.

On charger: Saturday 3:09pm, 17% remaining. Screen on time 6 hr. 11 min.

54 hours. Used 79% of battery. Astonishing.

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
If I am fairly easy on my 5a I can get over 48hrs on a full charge. Very cool. This is my first Pixel and am liking it more each day. The other day I downloaded android 12 beta 5. Am a bit sorry that they removed the weather from at a glance.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
On average after having this phone for two weeks I can say I get two days out of the battery based on my usage. Extremely happy!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 5a for about 2 months now. Since it's mostly fully set up now my daily usage has settled into somewhat of a routine. I use the phone more on weekends than weekdays (workdays).

Believing that charging to 100% puts unwanted stress on the battery, I have a notification set up in GSam battery monitor app to alert me when the phone has reached 95% charge capacity. So I never charge above 95%.

If I charge my phone to 95% on a Monday morning, and with "normal" usage, I will get down to around 15% to 20% charge remaining when I'm ready for bed on Tuesday night. It will show between 5 and 6 hours of screen on time used in this time. Pixel Battery app will show "Full charge lasts about 2 days 12 hrs." I will have about 10% charge remaining on Wednesday morning when I charge it again.

So, for my usage, this is a 2 days between charging phone.

beantownsouth

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
This is a screenshot of my wife's P5a battery usage, late this afternoon. Her phone has been off the charger for 2 1/2 DAYS!!! Granted she is a light user with only a few apps installed. Still, the battery life is crazy good.
9b82fd99-5ff1-492f-a4bd-c2957e5907ec.jpg