Micro-USB Connector

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I recently purchased an aftermarket/no brand Android cell phone from China. So far there are no regrets and it has worked out nice. However like all things that are not brand name there are always trade offs and less attention to detail. This perhaps is one of them. The headphone jack is too deep, I think this was a problem with the more rounded over shell of the first iphone. I fixed this with a deeper adapter to plug into my headphones. However the other one on the same lines is the USB. Other than that they screwed up there is no advantage to this, but the micro USB port sits in a few milimeters deeper than standard. This cable shown shows a rather oddly oversized (in length) micro USB connector. Where can I source this cable? I can't find anywhere online that sells a longer length connector head. But I thought I would give it a go here. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20130107_163626.jpg
    IMG_20130107_163626.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 25

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Micro-USB Connector

Isnt this that nonstandard usb mini b with squere shape like this?

wiki.s1mp3.org/images/d/d0/Otherusb2.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Odp: Micro-USB Connector

No no, it's definitely micro-usb, just longer. My other normal micro usb cables work but they are just too short. Not square as your link shows. All it is is about 3mm longer. Probably some proprietary run because the idiot who designed it soldered it too deep to the PCB. I feel this could bite me in the rear one day. I thought the whole point of micro usb was to standardize the industry! Well, only if they respect it.

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

It doesn't, it's the exact same size as I already stated, it's just longer in length. It's just the way the photo was taken.

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

No luck finding this there either. I guess I'm doomed. Anyone know how far in the plastic housing the connector goes? I am thinking of just modifying one I have to see how far in the metal body goes.

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

Well it's a no go on modifying an existing cable as the metal housing is only so long. I tried cutting back the plastic shell and couldn't get it long enough.

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Whoah thanks so much! I was just reading this after you posted and it says that the nook uses an elongated version of micro usb. I got one on amazon prime for $9. Let's hope it works, people said it fits the nook color. Thanks!