Migrating from Galaxy S10 to Pixel 6 Pro and Home Screen short cuts / folders

Steveo66

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
I am in the process of migrating from a Galaxy s10 where I am using the standard One UI launcher, and moving to a Pixel 6 Pro and considering the Nova Launcher.

My challenge is whether there is a way to copy/paste or migrate my home screen app folders to the Pixel 6 Pro? If not, that is not a huge deal to re-create these.

My other challenge is various home screen shortcuts that I have created and organized, for example Google Maps/Navigator shortcuts that I have on my S10 and would be much more of a pain to re-create on my Pixel. Does anyone have any ideas on this? As I understand it, even Nova Launcher's backup function does NOT backup/restore shortcuts.. I am told that shortcuts, such as things from Google Maps, contacts and stuff similar will not be backed up for security and privacy reasons.

So, all that being said, what options are their to migrate my shortcuts to my new phone, short of manually recreating them? To note, rooting this device is not an option for me.

Thanks in advance for any information here!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd install nova on your S10 and import the oneUI setup, then backup the nova launcher setup and transfer and install the backup to the pixel 6.

Steveo66

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
I'd install nova on your S10 and import the oneUI setup, then backup the nova launcher setup and transfer and install the backup to the pixel 6.

It is a really good thought, and I should have noted that I already tried this. One would think that should work , but when installing Nova on my S10, bear in mind it is an alternate launcher, and has no means to migrate all the stuff from the stock One UI launcher to Nova. From research I have done, older versions of Nova Launcher did offer an "import" mechanism to import the setup from the current launcher, but I guess there is no "standard" as far as launchers go, and mixing or importing settings between launchers apparently led to a host of problems. And as such, this feature is no longer in current versions of Nova.

Additionally, even if this were supported, as noted in my original post, the Nova backup/restore process does not include shortcuts!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It is a really good thought, and I should have noted that I already tried this. One would think that should work , but when installing Nova on my S10, bear in mind it is an alternate launcher, and has no means to migrate all the stuff from the stock One UI launcher to Nova. From research I have done, older versions of Nova Launcher did offer an "import" mechanism to import the setup from the current launcher, but I guess there is no "standard" as far as launchers go, and mixing or importing settings between launchers apparently led to a host of problems. And as such, this feature is no longer in current versions of Nova.

Additionally, even if this were supported, as noted in my original post, the Nova backup/restore process does not include shortcuts!

Sorry about that, I didn't realise Nova had removed the import function... that sucks. I also 'should've read your entire post, I was rushing haha.

I think you might be boned... we'll see if anyone comes up with anything I guess...

Steveo66

Sep 1, 2022
Visit site
Sorry about that, I didn't realise Nova had removed the import function... that sucks. I also 'should've read your entire post, I was rushing haha.

I think you might be boned... we'll see if anyone comes up with anything I guess...

No worries at all.. I do appreciate you chiming in! I think you may be right though, but hopefully the other smart people on this forum have some ideas!!

In addition, the guy from Nova support indicated that it is a Google security policy that is behind why shortcuts are not backed up... more specifically he stated "to make sure people don't abuse it and get access to your bank account, personal/private contacts or anything similar. It's in place to protect all of us.". I am not sure how backing up and restoring my own shortcuts is a security risk though - hmmm :-\ . And if even if it is a minor risk, give me the option to take it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow