missing first typed letter since DL09 update

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I had a bone stock Fascinate that I manually flashed the DL09 update. Everything worked great but I noticed that sometimes when prompted to enter text, I would miss the first letter I meant to type. It wouldn't do it every time so I thought it was just my fat fingers. I started paying more attention and sure enough, sometimes the first letter I type does not register. The phone will give the audible tick for the keypress but the character doesn't show in the text field. Has anyone seen this?

I have also seen the first 2 letters get capitalized instead of just one. This doesn't happen often and only since the update.

Since then I have rooted and de-binged the phone. No change in the typing bug.

I haven't seen this complaint before. I hate to reflash the entire system for something so minor.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I haven't noticed this, but what I have noticed since the update is that sometimes the text field will be completely greyed out when when the keyboard pops up and it won't enter ANY text that I type, the only way to fix it is to back out of the application completely and go back in.

drinkhere

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
root

hi can you help me root my fascinate please my having problems. when i run start root and it pushes the files the phone turns off but it tells me "device not found" what can i do ? is it maybe because of the new update DL09 ?

Thanks

StormToFascinate

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have also noticed the first two letters being capitalized after the update. This seems to only happen when I'm typing on the browser but not when texting, and it only seems to happen at the very onset of typing and not when I retype what ever it is I'm typing. Other than that I haven't noticed any other bug.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a bone stock Fascinate that I manually flashed the DL09 update. Everything worked great but I noticed that sometimes when prompted to enter text, I would miss the first letter I meant to type. It wouldn't do it every time so I thought it was just my fat fingers. I started paying more attention and sure enough, sometimes the first letter I type does not register. The phone will give the audible tick for the keypress but the character doesn't show in the text field. Has anyone seen this?

I have also seen the first 2 letters get capitalized instead of just one. This doesn't happen often and only since the update.

I haven't seen this complaint before. I hate to reflash the entire system for something so minor.

Are you using Swipe? I noticed that too, and it's why I had to ditch Swipe for the stock Android keyboard. Between that and the general inaccuracy of swipe when typing letter by letter, it was just unusable for me.

Switched to the standard keyboard and everything's fine.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

X2 on the first two letters getting capitalized. Never ever happened before the update but now happens occcasionally...??? I did the OTA update.

I haven't had the letters not show up yet though....I will be on the lookout however now.....

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am using Swype. I do like using it. It appears that it is not just my phone. My phone also has the problem the first typing try only. One the "glitch" occurs, if I back up and retry, it will never do it again until the phone sits for a while. It seems like the keyboard (or Swype) has trouble waking up after being unused for a little while. Does anyone know how I could remove and reinstall Swype to see if it helps?

GrainOsand

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I too have the swype bug. 1st 2 letters of first sentence. Its very annoying. I tried to remove swype and reinstalled with swype apk from system dump. No good bug still there. My dev friend said it might be a tell bug. Meaning a bug that samsung hides in the update code and only executes if you root. I'm not sure tho. I finally just turned off auto cap feature and am capping myself. Let me know if you guys find the bug.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I can definitely tell you that rooting has nothing to do with the bug. My phone was bone stock before the DL09 update. The problem started immediately after I flashed the DL09 but before I rooted my phone. My wifes phone downloaded the DL09 OTA and I have not seen the bug on it but I have only tried it a couple times. I'll post if I do see it on her phone. It has never been tweaked in any way except for OTA updates.

skiddingus

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone seen this bug on an unflashed/unrooted stock phone? My wifes Fascinate is totally stock and I have been able to get the double caps but I have not seen the missing first letter problem. I would like to know if anyone with an unaltered phone has seen the missed first letter. My phone has both problems but only occasionally.

Lindsey#AC

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have an unrooted fascinate. I am getting the caps bug; bowever, I noticed that it did not do it when typing in this reply text box. I notice it primarily in the browser. Swype also seems much less accurate in catching my swypes after the DL09 update.

buildscapeinc

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Completely stock here too and mine is doing it after the update. Swype will either capitalize the first two letters or will capitalize the first two words. There is also a lot of giberish in the swype word list that was not there before the update. I love swype and this is killing me. I really do not want to have to find another keyboard to use.

GPS is much better now and that I really like.

Brian

Timmedic

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Mine is capitalizing the first two letters as well. I mostly use swype but it is also doing it when I manually type in entries. I am not rooted, yet, and this only started after I updated ota DL09.

ryken229

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This has been happening to me too, ever since I flashed DJ05 and the Superdark Rom a few weeks ago. The first two letters are capitalizing in the browser and I am occasionally missing my first letter.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this from the time I flashed DL09 and it is not just in the Browser - it is also occurring in the market search window.. It will vacillate between omitting the first letter or double capping.

I can say that is is not ROM related. It was there on stock DL09.

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm on DJ05, and swipe will sometimes miss the first letter. I haven't noticed the second capitol letter bug, but I haven't really been watching very close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Authority_Institute