Missing the Voice Search button? Here's the fix!!

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've actually gotten quite used to just hitting home and using the search widget.

It adds one additional button press from previous phones, but when you factor in you are long pressing the search button, comes out to about the same time wise.

nieuwiefan

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright people. I have figured out the trick to finally add a voice search shortcut that you can add to the menu bar and always have it on every screen.

1) Download this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....sika524.android.quickshortcut&token=Xyo1rUzB

View attachment 26801

2) open the app

View attachment 26802

3) type voice and select the highlighted activity that ends with RecognitionActivity

View attachment 26803

4) add the new shortcut to the menu bar

View attachment 26804

5) Enjoy your new voice search shortcut

Sent from my ALL NEW HTC Evo 4G LTE!!

Thank you! That was very helpful!

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I've actually gotten quite used to just hitting home and using the search widget.

It adds one additional button press from previous phones, but when you factor in you are long pressing the search button, comes out to about the same time wise.

All you have to do is drag it to bottom of task bar.
425756cf-b225-6697.jpg

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Reactions: ginglish

facemymusic

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
If you're to lazy to do all that, there's an app in the play store that gives you an automatic shortcut: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.companion.GVButton
I've been using it since the day I got my phone, and it works great. Its designed for the GN but works flawlessly for me on stock. The icon isn't as pretty, but still super simple and works great.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's an alternative that makes it possible for you to access the Voice Search from wherever the notification bar is available, so you don't have to go back to the home screen. Basically, you make it available in your notification pull-down menu:

2z6atu9.png

To do this, you will need to install two apps from Google Play:
  1. Google Voice Search Button-GN (which facemymusic mentioned in the previous post)
  2. Widgetsoid

After both apps have been installed, try to add a Widgetsoid widget to your home screen, and choose either the 4x1 or 5x1 widget. Select whatever other options you would like to be able to access quickly via the notification bar. (As you can see, on mine I've got several chosen: Wifi, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, GPS, Airplane Mode, Flashlight, Battery, Voice Search.) You can scroll through the available options. Also, note that the toggle for 4G doesn't work with our phones; it was designed to work with the OG Evo for turning WiMax on or off, but does not work with the Evo 4G LTE.

Anyway, to add the Voice Search button, go to the "Shortcuts" tab, and then tap on the plus sign next to "Application"

169p75h.png

Scroll down and look for an app called "GVS"; select it as the shortcut you want to add.

2vcf2fb.png

You can change the order of the icons by tapping on an icon, then tapping either "left" or "right." Once you've chosen all the things you want to appear with the notification menu, switch to the "Advanced" tab, scroll down and make sure the checkboxes for both "Notification" and "Widget Invisible" are checked.

1fzas9.png

That's it. Now every time you pull down your notification menu, you'll be able to access the Voice Search.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Won't work for us. The Evo LTE's home button is capacitive, and cannot be "double-clicked."

Technologically a capacitive button can be double-clicked just like the screen, which is also capacitive. If it doesn't work it is not because the technology doesn't support it, but because the programming doesn't.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Technologically a capacitive button can be double-clicked just like the screen, which is also capacitive. If it doesn't work it is not because the technology doesn't support it, but because the programming doesn't.
Well, yes, technically, you're right. HTC phones with Sense will simply displayed the zoomed-out home screens if you tap the home button twice, so it is a software issue if the screen is on.

girlymoongirl

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
I installed the app searched for the voice search activity and there were two Google voice search results neither of them ended with RecignitionActivity. I tried creating a shortcut against both if them. I could even add it to the menu bar that follows every home page but when I select the shortcut I get "application not installed"

girlymoongirl

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
so i just shrunk the google search bar widget which shows both the G and the microphone but its small and placed it on the bottom right of all my pages.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe