MMS Video Comes In As Photo & Audio

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a S22 Ultra. Android Ver. 12. Everytime someone texts me with a video file, it comes in split as a static image and an audio file.

I've tried resetting network settings, I've tried restarting the device, and clearing the data on the Messages app.

I'd very much not like to have to do a factory reset as that's a huge pain.

Can anyone help me with this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the person sending the video using an iPhone or Android phone?

Sending video via MMS is always a pain, because there's a filesize limit of about 1 MB for MMS, which is really small. If the other person can use RCS chat in their Android phone, and you have RCS chat turned on, then videos can be sent more easily. If the other person has an iPhone, then all bets are off. Have them share the video by uploading it somewhere (like YouTube or Google Photos) and then sharing the link privately.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Alterangel

Aug 9, 2022
Visit site
Ok I just registered. This happens no matter what the sender is using (Android or Apple). I've even had a video come through here and there, but it seems so to be completely random. Most of the time I just get an image and audio file, but occasionally I'll actually get the video file.

What's RCS? And I used to get videos just fine.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok I just registered. This happens no matter what the sender is using (Android or Apple). I've even had a video come through here and there, but it seems so to be completely random. Most of the time I just get an image and audio file, but occasionally I'll actually get the video file.

What's RCS? And I used to get videos just fine.
Welcome to AC!
S22u comes with 2 message apps , Google and Samsung , which your using?

Alterangel

Aug 9, 2022
Visit site
Not sure. It's blue with a text bubble as an icon. I have also tried both apps called "Messages", and the issue remains the same on both.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-133144_Finder.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-133144_Finder.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 4

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
It's all greyed out

Ok so I think that means that the other messaging app is set as your default SMS app. When you open the app does it ask you to set it as default messaging app? I was just asking you to check that because that will tell you if you are using rcs messaging or not. Not familiar with the other app so not sure how to check it there

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FYI, the app with the 3 circles in the icon is the Samsung Messages app, while the one with the 3 lines is the Google Messages app.

RCS means Rich Communication Services, and is the way that users can send much more information over text (SMS/MMS is a very old protocol and therefore much more limited): https://www.androidcentral.com/what-rcs-and-why-it-important-android. In your messaging app's settings, RCS is typically represented by the "Chat Features" menu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali