Mobile hotspot connection problem

droid4grandma

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a Droid4 and I am finding that my laptop will not fully connect to my mobile hotspot if there are other wireless networks around, i.e. connects locally but no internet access. If I am in a clear area, no problems, hooks right up. I have wireless turned off. Any suggestions?

MotoMaxx

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a Droid4 and I am finding that my laptop will not fully connect to my mobile hotspot if there are other wireless networks around, i.e. connects locally but no internet access. If I am in a clear area, no problems, hooks right up. I have wireless turned off. Any suggestions?
Im having the same issue with my RazrMaxx, the issue did not start til after the last update that took place, I use it with a Xyboard and its just connects and drops within a few seconds.....sucks

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This wouldn't help with the tablet but you could try downloading PDANet onto your phone and laptop. I had a ton of issues with the stock hotspot and used this application as the bridge sorta speak. It appears to be a Motorola issue since you're experiencing this on a Droid 4 and I experienced it on a RAZR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Im having the same issue with my RazrMaxx, the issue did not start til after the last update that took place, I use it with a Xyboard and its just connects and drops within a few seconds.....sucks

Sorry for the double post, but do you know anyone with a RAZR that could test their phone with your tablet? I had this same exact issue with my Thunderbolt when I tried to connect to my Xoom. I ended up selling my Xoom to a friend and her Thunderbolt had none of these issues. I'd test my RAZR on my Xyboard, but I cancelled my hotspot months ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems with my Droid 4 and my Galaxy Tab 10.1 together. Absolutely seamless.

Using my Droid 4 tethered to my laptop, however, I find that sporadically my laptop doesn't see the phone at all. Particularly, if my laptop isn't next to my phone with WiFi turned on and searching at the time the hotspot becomes active, the hotspot SSID never shows up in the windows network list. Also, 60-70% of the time after my laptop connects it can't get an IP address from the phone. Most reliable solution is to go to a command prompt and do an ipconfig / release followed by an ipconfig / renew. Once connected with an IP address, I've never been kicked off or had any further problems.

Jack Watts

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems with my Droid 4 and my Galaxy Tab 10.1 together. Absolutely seamless.

Using my Droid 4 tethered to my laptop, however, I find that sporadically my laptop doesn't see the phone at all. Particularly, if my laptop isn't next to my phone with WiFi turned on and searching at the time the hotspot becomes active, the hotspot SSID never shows up in the windows network list. Also, 60-70% of the time after my laptop connects it can't get an IP address from the phone. Most reliable solution is to go to a command prompt and do an ipconfig / release followed by an ipconfig / renew. Once connected with an IP address, I've never been kicked off or had any further problems.

I had this same problem with my rooted Bionic, but I was completely unable to tether my W7 laptop 100% of the time. ip/confing, ip/renew completely solved the issue. I had tried pretty much every tethering app I could find, and this finally took care of it (it always showed "connected" but "no internet access". Thanks for the tip!

jclrfamilia

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site

Keeping my fingers crossed that it works. Never had a problem before with my wifi at home but connecting to my mobile hotspot on my galaxy s5 and my bf's galaxy s5 seems impossible. It will connect but I can't get it to connect to the internet.

Kimberly Kocan

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site

Hey I have the HTC one with same problem, I haven't tried connecting on computer but using mobile hotspot doesn't work. WiFi works on the HTC, but not mobile hotspot. Pleeaasseee!!!! Help!!!! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej