Moto 360 Buying a 3rd party metal band?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I ordered a 360 today and was thinking about going to best buy on the way home today to pick up a pebble steel band. How is the quality and comfort of the the steel band? I have read a lot of complaints about it pulling out arm hair.

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have my MOTO 360 and black Pebble Steel band being delivered tomorrow so I'll note it.

Chuck: I've read the Pebble Steel bands look great, but they flake easily from being rubbed on surfaces. So if you go with the Black one it will be fine, but you might have to replace it down the line (which to me isn't a big issue as it works as a stop gap to find the long term band option for me) if it gets nicked up.

Also: I highly recommend picking up a Watch Repair Kit. I got one a while back on Amazon and it makes changing bands, and links, super super easy. Yes, you can use the included stuff w/ the Steel and some bands, but having TONS of different pin tools, a mount to set the watch on to knock it out, etc... it's just nice to have for 15 bucks.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
And so I'm done. Little tricky but no issues.

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 22846.jpg
    22846.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 22841.jpg
    22841.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 22843.jpg
    22843.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 87

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
And Motorola definitely dropped the ball not releasing the stainless steel giving the money to other people

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That looks sexy. Define tricky.

So I had to wiggle it into place to get the clasp to snap because the 360 space has a groove on the middle that cause slight interference. For the most part it went in, but I can see some bands needing to have the center altered to get it to fit. Not so with this but had to add a little pressure for it to snap in. I'd recommend a jeweler to put it on for you if you're not comfortable doing it.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My Ritchie band is a no go for the squeamish, I had to take a dremel tool to the inside of the watchband. The fit was so precise I had to if I wanted to be able to access the pins if I ever wanted to remove the band. The slots for the jewers tool gets tucked away too far inside the watch body requiring the mod, so for the average Joe I would steer clear. If you are handy with a power tool then go for it but I see people are reporting better options out there without needing to go through the hassle. IMG_20140916_213136.jpgIMG_20140916_213652.jpg
IMG_7903.jpgIMG_7907.jpgIMG_7908.jpgIMG_7910.jpg
Just a quick update, I bought this watch band from Amazon over the weekend and got it yesterday, sold by Ritchie but fulfilled by Amazon Prime. At the time I bought it it was $13.00 and Prime. I suspect they have gotten a lot of interest due to people searching for 3rd party black bands for the Moto 360 (Like me) and have gotten greedy from the new peaked interest. Now it looks as if they have raised the price by $3.00 and dropped the Prime so due to the need to modify this is NOT a good option anymore but it does look good on the watch and it is impossible to see the mods when worn.http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DKYC7TK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Edit: Looks as if I misspoke, to be fair and unbiased I actually bought my band from Gizmo Gurus Fulfilled by Amazon Prime, they must have sold out so my Amazon search takes you to the next available supplier. My bad, Ritchie isn't ripping people off I'm just dense and did not pay attention.

gizmo gurus.JPG

Last edited:

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

drexappeal

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So I found this forum while I was trying to figure out how to change my band. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I took off my leather band and replaced with an old La Mer band that the face was cracked on and I LOVE it!!!! =)

I know it's not what you guys were all going for, but I'm super stoked that I can replace it with something fashionable.

View attachment 136453
This is the most elaborate band I've seen used with any smartwatch. Do you have any pics of how you got it attached to the Moto 360?

sprinttouch666

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I can report that the Truffol band for Pebble Steel does NOT work on the moto 360.

https://www.truffol.com/store/smartwatch/strap_pebble_steel/silver

Too thick and wide on the ends. Very sad as this band is much more premium feeling (I have one on my pebble steel). Oh well...will use the stock pebble steel band until something better is available or confirmed by someone here.

If there any chance the Truffol band could work if you turned the straps around? I hear that many straps are much thinner at the clasp than the other end (but you could attach the watch end at the clasp). Curious because I really like the Truffol band.

Duncan J

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak about if it would work but the band is tapered to 20mm at the clasp so I doubt you could attached the clasp to the "watch end" which is 22mm :(

Come on after market 3rd p[art moto 360 bands. If 3rd parties can churn out iStuff accessories within 24 hours don't make use wait (that said make it good so I'm prepared to wait a bit :))

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
If there any chance the Truffol band could work if you turned the straps around? I hear that many straps are much thinner at the clasp than the other end (but you could attach the watch end at the clasp). Curious because I really like the Truffol band.

Yea, I don't see that happening... I haven't tried it, but I don't think you would be able to attach the larger 22 mm end to the latch... which, as mentioned above, is tapered down to 20 mm. The only real way I can see it working off the top of my head is to grind down a bit of the Truffol band were it contacts the body of the Moto 360.

I made a post about this over on sister site, Connectedly HERE if you want to read up a bit more on it.

Pic of the Truffol I received and tried on my Moto 360 for reference:
y4utyry3.jpg

Rustydog1972

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to contribute my experience to the thread.

I have metal deployment bands and buckle straps on other watches I wear depending on my needs. I wanted a metal band that was more classic/retro in appearance to combine with the 360 round look. Despite the tech I thought it would be a nice combination for my needs.
IMAG0563.jpgIMAG0565.jpgIMAG0568.jpg
I looked at the prior discussions about finding a fit. These are my actual observations and not as much micrometer measurements. First the 22mm is very accurate both in measurement and band fit. The thickness of the stock band, mine was grey was 4.0 plus or minus .05 at the spring pin. It is important to realize that bands may have different thickness between watch and buckle end. Especially leather. I have found this before on my other watches.

Now for the observation. I spent about 5 years in HS and College working at a jewelry store and have changed hundreds of bands and adjusted sizing on many. What I found to be the challenge on the 360 was not as much the depth, once the 4.0 mm selected it was the curvature of the housing under the "Lip" created by their design. So the straight pin and straight band must not be to thick to fit the spacing from the hole and the rounded housing (toward the end of band or radius from spring pin). I have a micrometer and just could not find a way to get a measurement to provide. I also found that the brushed stainless is a match, sandblasted finish shows darker but could also be satisfactory for some. This is my observation buyer choice.

If you look at the leather band it has a cut out in the middle. Motorola also provides a thinner spring pin. I had to use the original spring pin as the band came with one that is slightly larger, more like my other watches and it did not allow the links to fit into the space between chassis and hole for the pin. Once I did that it was just a little finesse to get lined up and then all was good.

Summarizing what to look for: My opinions and actual observations. 22 MM (of course), 4.00 MM thickness max, minimal depth between line past the center line of spring pin. My opinion is less than 2 mm on measurement as close as I can get. Or experiment with bands that have a "Curve" at the end to allow for the tight clearance while still meeting other parameters.

I purchased the band on line lots of price ranges and spent more for one that had features that I knew would benefit my fitting needs. It also provided a more "Retro" look I desired. Strapcode is the company that I used. The can be found by using the .com ending on their name. Quality packaging to prevent scratches, smoothness of the links and operation of the clasp are all very good.

Shipped from China but arrived in less than a week along with a strap tool, mine disappeared in the move but will probably show up now that I bought another. Watch is very comfortable and the additional weight is good for me and also the ability to stand small amounts of water is great. Like what happens when you wash your hands. The stock band had already spotted in a couple of places.

I hope this information helps.

Last edited:

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Summarizing what to look for: My opinions and actual observations. 22 MM (of course), 4.00 MM thickness max, minimal depth between line past the center line of spring pin. My opinion is less than 2 mm on measurement as close as I can get. Or experiment with bands that have a "Curve" at the end to allow for the tight clearance while still meeting other parameters.

This is excellent information. Based on this, I would assume you would see no problem using nato straps with the 360 (typically 1.2mm thick or so)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984