Moto G6 fine with VoLTE on AT&T, even though it's not on their Feb 2022 whitelist?!?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
So the games continue with ATT and their mysteriously small "list" of "approved" phones that will continue working after February 2022.

The list is meaningless guys, they are playing with people's fears trying to get them to purchase new ATT phones. My wife's unlocked Moto G6 wasn't on the list... but still works perfectly with VoLTE/VVM/RCS etc even though it wasn't supposed to, and we were supposed to get a message confirming that. I'm guessing my unlocked Moto Z3 play will also be fine, considering that it's also not on the list but the older Moto Z2 Force (which I believe was an ATT branded device) is.

Overall I've liked ATT (I liked them better before Cingular bought them out), but the crappy lies/games they play with consumers is very irritating :mad:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re: Moto G6 fine with VoLTE on AT&T, even though it's not on their Feb 2022 whitelist?!?

My guess is that the list probably wasn't meant to be completely comprehensive, and that some phones not on the list may still work. It's probably a way to prevent liability, so that customers can't complain about their phone losing service (in addition to generating more sales:-\).

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
re: Moto G6 fine with VoLTE on AT&T, even though it's not on their Feb 2022 whitelist?!?

So the games continue with ATT and their mysteriously small "list" of "approved" phones that will continue working after February 2022.

The list is meaningless guys, they are playing with people's fears trying to get them to purchase new ATT phones. My wife's unlocked Moto G6 wasn't on the list... but still works perfectly with VoLTE/VVM/RCS etc even though it wasn't supposed to, and we were supposed to get a message confirming that. I'm guessing my unlocked Moto Z3 play will also be fine, considering that it's also not on the list but the older Moto Z2 Force (which I believe was an ATT branded device) is.

Overall I've liked ATT (I liked them better before Cingular bought them out), but the crappy lies/games they play with consumers is very irritating :mad:

The system isn’t perfect but AT&T has been kicking off plenty of devices recently that aren’t on the list and sending those device owners free AT&T supported devices of varying age, specs and desirability.

It seems to happen based on system IMEI sweeps or similar device checking. It also seems to be triggered sometimes by switching out SIMs between supported and unsupported devices.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

The system isn’t perfect but AT&T has been kicking off plenty of devices recently that aren’t on the list and sending those device owners free AT&T supported devices of varying age, specs and desirability.

It seems to happen based on system IMEI sweeps or similar device checking. It also seems to be triggered sometimes by switching out SIMs between supported and unsupported devices.
Yeah read that the other day in my news feed one person received a Note 9 free

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Yeah read that the other day in my news feed one person received a Note 9 free

That's good to hear.... I was reading on Reddit and multiple other sites that ATT were shutting off people's 2-3 year old flagships, some even recently purchased, and sending them cheap prepaid go phones to replace them. Not cool, especially when the phones are perfectly capable of running on ATT after the 3g shutdown. And lots of folks pick up 2-3 year old flagships (including me) because you get a lot of phone for not a lot of money.

ATT also had that scandal a year and a half ago where they sent out the very strange emails to tons of their customers telling them their phones would stop working, but weren't clear when, and also included links to get new carrier branded phones through them. And a lot of the folks actually had approved phones that would continue to work just fine :eek:

That was no accident lol. But Big Business gonna be Big Business I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's good to hear.... I was reading on Reddit and multiple other sites that ATT were shutting off people's 2-3 year old flagships, some even recently purchased, and sending them cheap prepaid go phones to replace them. Not cool, especially when the phones are perfectly capable of running on ATT after the 3g shutdown. And lots of folks pick up 2-3 year old flagships (including me) because you get a lot of phone for not a lot of money.

ATT also had that scandal a year and a half ago where they sent out the very strange emails to tons of their customers telling them their phones would stop working, but weren't clear when, and also included links to get new carrier branded phones through them. And a lot of the folks actually had approved phones that would continue to work just fine :eek:

That was no accident lol. But Big Business gonna be Big Business I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't hear about those situations but thats crazy :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Holy moly, Android Go phones?!? Well, at least they weren't flip phones.:confused:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
We get awesome phones, for awesome prices through promotions most of the time, and an awesome forum to talk about them on, so I can't complain too much lol. I wish sometimes big corporations wouldn't try and manipulate us, but in the big picture it's not that big of a deal :)

I just wanted to let folks know about my research and experience, being an ATT customer dealing with their upcoming 3g shutdown in February of next year. It appears that if you've had an account with them for a while, and your phone is VoLTE capable, you should have no problems. If you're new to them, and bring an unlocked phone thats a couple years old or older, your phone might not work.

I have a Moto Z3 play along with 3 mods that I was using occasionally (I haven't had it that long, only got to use it a couple times actually, but enjoyed playing with it), that I will be bummed about if that $350 worth of equipment is rendered useless, even though it's VoLTE capable, just because ATT decides not to support it. My wife's G6 is supported, and it's the same age and was half the price new of the Moto Z3, but she's been using it steadily, where I've only had my sim in the Z3 a couple times.

I think if a phone will work on a carriers network, they should let it work.... not pick and choose :-\

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, ATT volte requirements are so different than any of the other carriers. I guess volte is not a true standard per se, and ATT chose to implement it differently than any of the other US carriers.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, ATT volte requirements are so different than any of the other carriers. I guess volte is not a true standard per se, and ATT chose to implement it differently than any of the other US carriers.

Well, the VoLTE is a standard but in the USA, it's considered like WiFi Calling and Mobile Hotspot, an Enhanced Calling Feature, that each carrier only has to support voluntarily on the devices it chooses to support. With AT&T, typically, Enhanced Calling Features are supported on devices that are carrier sold and carrier locked to AT&T network. Also, not every AT&T carrier locked device gets all three Enhanced Calling Features on the AT&T network. Then, depending on the OEM, factory unlocked devices may have some or all Enhanced Calling Features supported depending on how what certifications the OEM has paid AT&T for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards