Moto X 2014 Leather or wood?

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Leather or wood is the real question for me. I've always liked the look of the wood, but I'll be honest the leather looks tempting. I'm just curious how it will hold up after a year of everyday use. I'm assuming you would be able to clean it with a leather conditioner. I love the natural color but the lighter come scares me too. What is everyone's thoughts regarding the wood or leather?

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Leather or wood?

I prefer no leather nor down feathers in products I purchase, so wood for me. Not that it account for other chemicals like benzene and rare earth used in production.

The reason why I returned my original Moto X bamboo was because I don't like the white trim, but since it's aluminum this time it's not as bad looking so I'm going for bamboo again.

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I wanted the wood back forever. But after seeing the leather, I'm torn as well. I'd actually get it in a brown leather so you could definitely tell it's leather. I think you can scotch guard leather or some type of protective layer. Also yeah you could use a conditioner of whatever you usually use on leather I assume. Some leather looks good with that weathered look.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I also don't use animal products anywhere it can be avoided (which is basically everywhere). I'll pop for wood though.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I really like the thought of leather, but worry about the durability.

I will probably go for on of the black banded woods. I cannot stand anything to be white.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I'd go for the wood back. I get the feeling that if I had the leather back I'd get some ugly scratches on it that won't come out. And that wood just looks so natural to me.

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

I'd be tempted by the new Moto X -- if Motorola ever make it available in Australia -- simply because it does have a leather back (well... that and a damn fine set of specs!). I love the way leather weathers. Completely different to plastic / faux leather / PU. The leather seats in my car and loungeroom, my leather jackets, wallet and, yes, the leather flip case in which I carry my Nexus 5. Every minor scuff or mark tells a story. And that leather smell...!

ucfgrad93

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

I really like the thought of leather, but worry about the durability.

I will probably go for on of the black banded woods. I cannot stand anything to be white.

Agreed. I wouldn't get the leather back because of the questionable durability.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to trust that Motorola did enough testing to know these won't get destroyed easily. I've had a wood back for 9 months and I like it but I think this time I'll try out the leather. Both look super sharp though.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm going to trust that Motorola did enough testing to know these won't get destroyed easily. I've had a wood back for 9 months and I like it but I think this time I'll try out the leather. Both look super sharp though.

How has it stood up? Curious how it handles no case for that long.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

How has it stood up? Curious how it handles no case for that long.

I've had an ebony wood-backed Moto X for about 7.5 months without at case and it's held up very well including a few drops on pavement and asphalt. No scratches.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Leather for me. The wood reminds me of those ugly PT cruisers and Chrysler minivans with the wood paneling.

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site

Leather for me. The wood reminds me of those ugly PT cruisers and Chrysler minivans with the wood paneling.

Now I'll never be able to look at a wood back without thinking of a PT Cruiser. LOL

Seriously, I'm thinking leather.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Now I'll never be able to look at a wood back without thinking of a PT Cruiser. LOL

Seriously, I'm thinking leather.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lolol yeah you pretty much just ruined the wood backs for me now. Although I'm old so I remember the God awful wood panel station wagons of the eighties.. Nasty lookin..

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I can't wait to try out the new camera on this bad boy!

27.jpg

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Lolol yeah you pretty much just ruined the wood backs for me now. Although I'm old so I remember the God awful wood panel station wagons of the eighties.. Nasty lookin..

Whatever, I still love the Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I wanted the wood back forever. But after seeing the leather, I'm torn as well. I'd actually get it in a brown leather so you could definitely tell it's leather. I think you can scotch guard leather or some type of protective layer. Also yeah you could use a conditioner of whatever you usually use on leather I assume. Some leather looks good with that weathered look.

Exact same boat. I played with MotoMaker every time the X went on sale, and always ended up with a wood back (loved the bamboo with white and silver). I had thought that's what I would end up with, and when the leather rumors started circling all I could picture was Samsung's terrible fake stitched leather look. But then I saw the photos, and wow. I love the look of the natural leather with the black face. I can't wait for the new MotoMaker to go live so I can mess with designs!