Motorola's Nexus - possible details on new mid-range Nexus phone

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you ask just regular techs or you have some upper level connections?
just store managers and supervisors, but nothing higher level than that. I beg them to pass on to the higher ups that their customers want a Nexus but they tell me their customers want Droids and Galaxy series phones. I think we should start an email campaign to corporate. At least let them know there is demand.

What is their freaking problem with Nexus? Is it just because they are control freaks?
I think that is part of it. They don't like that you could get Google Wallet on the GNex and get rid of their bloatware. The other part I think are the frequent updates to the OS - that has a cost on their end, too.

I would love to switch but I'd have to pay a hefty cancellation fee for all 3 lines.
I will never leave as long as I have unthrottled truly unlimited 4G LTE data. If they ever mess with that, I will go back to ATT.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I like Apple's idea of selling the previous generation phone as a mid-range device and the even earlier generation phone as a low-end device. Maybe Google should sell the GNex for $199/$249 and the Nexus S for $99/$149, with 8 and 16 gigs of storage, respectively, all unlocked.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I like Apple's idea of selling the previous generation phone as a mid-range device and the even earlier generation phone as a low-end device. Maybe Google should sell the GNex for $199/$249 and the Nexus S for $99/$149, with 8 and 16 gigs of storage, respectively, all unlocked.

Depends if factories are still pumping those phones out too.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends if factories are still pumping those phones out too.

Good point. But Google would save the money needed to design a new phone. They would also have the advantage of having a recognized phone name. All they would have to do is get the factories to start building the phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

va2azerik

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Why would they Fu*k up the Nexus brand with a mediocre mid range phone.Just when the N4 kind of gave the brand some traction. Call it anything else other than Nexus.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Why would they Fu*k up the Nexus brand with a mediocre mid range phone.Just when the N4 kind of gave the brand some traction. Call it anything else other than Nexus.
Google has to do something with Samsung dominance. If they start selling mid range phones for $199, this will definitely put a lot of pressure on smartphone market owned by Samsung so far. They have to show Samsung that if they start flirting with their own OS, they will have war.

twaffle

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that the Razr line was selling well, no?

Not even close. Motorola has lost over 33% of their market share since the RAZR's came out six months ago. Their up the creek with HTC, but without a new phone paddle.

- - - Updated - - -

Google has to do something with Samsung dominance. If they start selling mid range phones for $199, this will definitely put a lot of pressure on smartphone market owned by Samsung so far. They have to show Samsung that if they start flirting with their own OS, they will have war.

Why, exactly? As long as they end up using Google services, why does Google care about Samsung dominance?

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not even close. Motorola has lost over 33% of their market share since the RAZR's came out six months ago. Their up the creek with HTC, but without a new phone paddle.

- - - Updated - - -
Ask yourself why Google would price their own phone so aggressively. And this is really their phone, they own Motorola. They did say that they would not do this a year ago, and then this.

Why, exactly? As long as they end up using Google services, why does Google care about Samsung dominance?

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Either Google wants more Nexus sales to generate even more revenue or Google is afraid of Samsung becoming too big, branching off onto Tizen or some other OS, taking most of its customers with it, and leaving Google with a huge chunk of projected profit missing. Well, not huge chunk, but significantly large drop in the bucket.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Even if the RAZRs are selling well, those are still only on one carrier, so their sales will be dwarfed compared to the sales and visibility of Samsung.

Technically not on one carrier, other carriers outside of the US get RAZRs too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
We're hearing that Moto and Google might well be working on a mid-range Nexus device -- i.e. something not intended to replace the Nexus 4, but a device that's just as aggressively-priced.

Some quick hits --

- A Nexus phone built by Motorola and branded as such
- 4.5-inch screen, likely 720p or thereabouts, very little bezel
- Unknown CPU, 1GB of RAM, 5MP camera
- Composite, interchangeable colored back plates (red, purple, white, pink, green, blue)
- May be advertised alongside the Google Watch, with Google Now support
- Price $199 outright with 8GB of storage

Given the timing of all this, I'd guess this thing is a good bet for an appearance at Google I/O, though we have no specific info on that.

Very much unconfirmed rumor territory for the moment, so treat it as such. (There's a reason this is being posted here and not anywhere more official :))

I'd like to know where in this rumor territory it was hinted to be a Nexus. This sounds a lot more like Motorola is releasing it as the low cost phone alongside others that will make up their X line. My guess is it will be one of the X line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
downthisroad4