move a folder of Word docs and Excel spreadsheets from my PC to my N7?

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to move a folder of Word docs and Excel spreadsheets from my PC to my N7 so I can add, delete, edit, view on N7 with Quickoffice (or something else?). Do I simply USB-connect N7 to my PC and copy the folder under SD? I assume that Quickoffice will look for filetypes, display titles, and allow me to open them.

When I have no further need for folder I assume I can simply delete it (using ES File Explorer)?

Told you it was a simple question!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're using Quickoffice, be aware that from what I can tell, it will only look in the Download folder and your Google Drive for documents. So if you move your documents to some folder called "My Documents," you won't be able to access them using QuickOffice.

It sounds like the easiest thing for you to do is just upload your documents to Google Drive. Then you can edit them using either QuickOffice or Google Docs/Sheets (although for the latter, you'd have to convert them to Docs/Sheets format first).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that QuickOffice can directly edit Microsoft Office documents, but Google Drive (i.e., Google Docs/Sheets) can't directly edit them--as I mentioned above, it has to convert the document to Google Docs/Sheets format first.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'd like to read/edit my docs off-line, so accessing them from Google Drive may not be a good option.

Surprised to hear that QO does not scan entire SD for docs, but only Download folder. (Some forums suggest otherwise). Given the choice, I would have liked to store my docs in a dedicated folder under SD. (Can I store a folder under Download, or just the individual files?) Can you recommend a (free) basic reader/editor that can access folder/file from SD/ and save them back to that place?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was a little surprised myself about Quickoffice, but please note that I was testing it out in a cursory manner on my Nexus 5. What I did was save a PDF file to the Movies folder, just to see if Quickoffice scans all folders for compatible documents. But it still only gave me the option to look for documents in Google Drive and Downloads. I'd be curious to see if other people were able to get it to look in other folders.

There are lots of other office apps available on Google Play, like Docs to Go, KIngsoft, OfficeSuite 7, etc. A bunch of them are free, or free to try, so see if they fit the bill for you.

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Tried "Kingsoft for Android". Meets my needs -- and much more. Makes use of integrated file manager so I can copy my PC office stuff to anyplace under sd/. Good interface; lots of cool features -- and its free!

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The more I use Quick Office the more I like it -- good doc viewer, just enough editing, and good support documentation. Seems well suited to Nexus. Would benefit from an integrated file manager to open docs off-line (I guess G wants to force use of G-Drive). The work around seems easy enough. Transfer docs from PC to N7 sdcard (using usb or other) and use a file mgr (i use ES File Explorer) to open desired doc in QkO. Any edits get saved back to sd storage.

I notice that QkO has a listing of "Recent Files". These can be re-opened directly from QkO without the need for file manager. Not sure what "Recent" means. Do these files disappear after a set time, number, or size? Anyone know?

cybernutte

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got both OpenOffice and WPS Office (the new name of Kingsoft Office) on my tablet. I consistently have found that when I've opened .doc files, they are much clearer in WPS than in OpenOffice. With .docx files, however, there's little difference.

I should also say that when I try to open a file, both ES File Manager and OI File Manager offer me both OpenOffice and WPS Office no matter where the file is located. Thus, I don't think you have to look only in your Download folder--at least, that's not been true for me.

Jeffrey Flynt

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'd like to read/edit my docs off-line, so accessing them from Google Drive may not be a good option.

Surprised to hear that QO does not scan entire SD for docs, but only Download folder. (Some forums suggest otherwise). Given the choice, I would have liked to store my docs in a dedicated folder under SD. (Can I store a folder under Download, or just the individual files?) Can you recommend a (free) basic reader/editor that can access folder/file from SD/ and save them back to that place?
QO can open a file from just about anywhere on your device. Click the folder icon. It defaults to documents. Click on documents and select internal storage. Then select your file.

Another option for copying files from your PC is to share them on the Windows PC using file Explorer. If you are on the same network, like at home on WiFi, then the shared files can be directly accessed on your Android device using ES file Explorer or another file Explorer that has a LAN option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gerryp123

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
You wrote:
QO can open a file from just about anywhere on your device. Click the folder icon. It defaults to documents. Click on documents and select internal storage. Then select your file.

This does not seem to be the case for my QuickOffice v 6.3.1, running on N7 (2013) under KK 4.3. When I open QC I see a Flders icon at the top right. Tapping this brings up the "Open From" screen with choices of "Recent", "Drive", and "Downloads". I see no "Documents" option.

I could, of course, select a document from "Downloads" if I chose to place all my docs in the N7 download folder -- but I'd rather keep them in a dedicated folder under SD.

What am I missing here? Perhaps there is an option somewhere that I should set?
Please respond directly to gerryp123@bellsouth.net
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chariesdevil