Moving to new old house Cell Phone signal strength for AT&T and Verizon.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
They're not real responsive. When I last called the tech support number I more or less stumbled on
At first I was keeping a log, then when I had a dial tone but no internet I was throughly confused. Guess I need to keep a record: Date and time; Internet yes/no; Dial tone yes/no; Router but no Internet yes/no. And probably local weather (?).
Seems like the Router firmware should be logging some part of that. When I looked I couldn't find it. Well pencil and paper is techie enough some days.

Perhaps router or network conflict? It's been a few years but I used to have a problem when the router was conflicting with different equipment on network sometimes

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks but nothing here that wasn't before. Other than geography (moving accross town) the only change I did was to remove the other, mini-wireless router (plugged into the cable modem) that was dedicated to the standby whole house generator.
Am puzzled big time. I've got a home networking guy coming by to review the cabling in the house maybe he can shed some light.

jameny5

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Hmm, well I guess we'll have to wait for them to resolve that issue to see if that's in fact what your problem is. If they claim the problem is solved and you're still having issues, then sometimes the solution is to get a different router.
You know one funny thing? My friend has Spectrum in New York. They had to change her router twice within the same year. You know another funny thing? The routers were brand new. Spectrum does have its up and downs. This we know. I remember their intermittent internet days too. I hope he finds a fix for his problem.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Lightning arresters and signal strength?

This new-old house and several others in this subdivision get only so-so cell phone signal strength. AND many of the houses here have lightning arresters on the roof. I _don't_ know but theorize that in the 90's mini building boom lightning arresters were a very topical subject. (Something of a scasm.)
It there a connection? Dors the presence of those antennas interfere with, or ameliorate cellphone signals?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lightning arresters and signal strength?

I recall another post about this in the recent past -- was that you as well?

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lightning arresters and signal strength?

Possibly. I did a quickee search and nothing turned up. And I tend to be forgetful at 75.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I realized we never really addressed the possible contribution of the lightning arrester, but I haven't been able to find much conclusive evidence on the web. I don't know much about the different kinds of arresters, but theoretically, if any of them are designed with multiple conductive grounding paths around the house, then maybe they might act like a Faraday cage, causing interference with wireless signals?