Multiple Issues after Razr ICS upgrade - Issues List

JeffL6899

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
EMail problems with Motorola Droid Razr ICS Upgrade on Verizon:
1. Three of 5 email accounts were disabled because settings were totally scrambled and changed: type of accounts (POP3/MAPI), ports (all different incoming and outgoing ports), security settings, etc.. Two accounts were with Comcast.net, one was with another ISP. Google worked fine and settings were OK - because gmail always resides on the Google server. Hotmail account was also stable. It appears that the problem is with the upgrade software itself related to the native email client on the Razr. All my other files on the device appear (so far) to have survived the "upgrade".
2. All the email accounts were there after upgrade, but all emails on the device were gone from the folders. Neither Verizon nor Motorola techs understood that you simply cannot re-download from the host email servers, if you have other clients (like on your PC) that delete the email once downloaded to other client like Outlook. All three techs that worked on the issue suggested that I could simply delete all the accounts and recreate them. The of course, there would be no email to download and everything would be fine.

Interesting that on the Razr new (4.0.4 version software) "Help Topics" in apps the first topic is "Before you Upgrade to Android 4.0". How insane is that?? You have to install the upgrade (which cannot be undone) before you know anything about any of the issues involved.

My advice: On a Verizon Droid Razr, do not upgrade to Version 4.0.4. The email snafu is enough on it's own to declare this "upgrade" as a total disaster. This needs at least a 4.1 to resolve some of the issues. I have not been using it enough to evaluate the other issues that others have already highlighted. According to both Verizon and Motorola I am the first user to report having lost all their email on the device. The Motorola tech generally indicated that this is such a great upgrade that I should be happy to have it, and that it is normal in an upgrade to have to reset all your email settings and I should not have been surprised to have found all the email messages gone. This is my last Motorola phone. I thought each generation of Droid was going to be better. Time to look at other operating platforms.

Droid Nigel

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
So I dont post here much, but I read the forums a lot. I too experience some issues with the ICS update, but I followed the instructions to wiping the cache, and my two main issues have been fixed.
Connectivity:Suddenly the phone effortlessly transfers from 3g to 4g, which is
a BIG conflict resolution, because my house is right on the borderline of the 4g network in my area, so the phone would struggle picking a network and seemingly just dropping connection all together. Now it goes back and forth NO PROBLEM!
Speed: Also the phone was chugging and lagging like molasses at some times. I [opened a whole bunch apps and it's been running much faster except for when Im making calls. If i press a contact, it kinda lags to the start of the phone call.

Those were my two issues with the upgrade, and now they seem nonexistent. I advise everyone to do a cache swipe from recovery mode.

ddaily

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I hate this upgrade and still find it ridiculous that you cannot convert back to GB withouth being rooted. Problems include:
Battery life failing
Inability to manual choose 3G
Email synch problems (emails checked and deleted from PC not reflected on phone)
Hate the new text format - look and funcationality
Upgrade deleted some notifcation settings
The annoying, ever-present background data warning
Some widget changes that don't allow me to customize as my phone used to be
Redundant apps placed on my phone
Inability to hide apps that I can't deleted from my phone without creating a whole new group

Those are just the ones I can pinpoint in the 20 hours since I "upgraded". I have found no redeeming features as of yet.

I need someone who has an in with Verizon/Motorolla so that can help us revert back to GB. I LOVED my phone then.

ddaily

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Another issue, and this one is HUGE. I had already pinpointed issues with it not syncing with activity to my yahoo account, but now it's not even sending emails.

Fail.

:'(

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
It seems to have settled down today, but I'm still reading almost 100% on the cpu usage. Maybe the app reporting on the CPU is inaccurate. The screen appears to be the battery hog culprit from what I can tell. I think that has always been the case, but not to this extent.

I can't figure out how to clear the cache. help to find a thread on that info would be appreciated.

I read somewhere that there are people that think the screen is nicer looking on ics. I'm not convinced. But maybe between whatever they have done to improve that coupled with the brightness adjustments they have changed in the software is making the screen work harder. I sure don't know. Just throwing out thoughts. What I do know is that for some of us you are right. We are having to screw around with this phone now way too much to make it work. It's nothing like it was before and I'm still pissed. I see simple issues all over the place. Even dialing a call can be buggier than before. Heck my number pad locked up yesterday while trying to check a voicemail. Had to restart the phone and this is all after 2 cache cleanings and a factory reset. Total BS. Any kind of phone call use to be the most reliable part of this phone. ICS lovers will come on this thread and profess their devotion to it which is fine but the deal is we all get caught up in this drug we call 'change'. We get caught up in wanting the latest and greatest of everything, and a lot if times at a cost. There are others that are not having these issues, fantastic and for them ICS is the greatest thing ever, until Jelly Bean arrives of coarse. Problem is this OS was pushed out to us to make a deadline because everyone was gripping about not having it yet and when you do that, you make mistakes. They should have put on their big boy shorts and told people it's just not quite ready yet. If they don't correct them fast, they will have screwed up a very good device and possibly Motorola's best chance of regaining some respect in this business. 3300 battery, brilliant, screen tech improving, solid performer for the majority of it's users, check. Bowing to peer pressure of the people who demand the latest and greatest every 6 months, JUVENILE! Moto take back control of your future and fix this situation before we all by iPhones.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If you do a factory reset, a hard reset, you WILL have to reinstall all the apps you have acquired. :(

Only if you don't have backup checked. If you have it checked and a back up has been performed, most of your apps will be or would have been, restored automatically. I retained 400 of my 410 apps. You do loose some of your data from the app though so be careful with that. I got my Notepad app back but without my data. Some say it's best to unchecked the auto restore and manually only the things you really want. That will be my next move if things don't smooth out for me soon.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

Kim Lovick

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
When I upgraded from good old GB (Gingerbread) to ICS( It's Creamed Something) all went well for about 2 hours then the phone started to lock or freeze either for a few seconds or for ever until the battery completely drained or would not end a call or would accept a call then just turn off - the annoyance just got more and more.

Factory reset - - Twice
Cleared the Cache memory - - - - - dozens of times
Left it with a drained battery
Tried every reboot option on the menu
Considered putting it in the toilet and taking a on it.

Result it would work for 1-5 hours than start the whole locking and rebooting till it was flat resurrected itself.

Last resort tried yesterday - I put it in a freezer bag and froze it for 6 hours (well it is supposed to be Ice cream sandwich) - let it thaw for 1 hour then turned it on - - - so far 24 hours hardly any battery drain all Apps working.

Being an electronic engineer I can see how this may cause problems but thought it worth the risk.

I will post again in the next few days if this has a long term effect
:cool::cool:

Josh Noyb

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I did it on my droid razr with ics, but i have had to do it like atleast three times, and exactly the same things as the guy said about his phone hetting hot.. -___-

Dr Fallen X

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, I had 1 upgrade under the recent Jellybean update for my DROID Razr, and ever since buffering takes years, sometimes doesnt even work and I have to reboot my phone, YouTube app doesn't work, Facebook app doesn't work, constantly lagging up my phone(earlier today i had to soft reset my phone because it wouldn't unlock), My Music app constatly stops working, and many more problems that have already been listed like the battery drain propblem, all I would like to do is uninstall the recent update without having to back up my files and factory recent my phone.

It might just be my phone but alot of other people that I come across arent happy with the new 4.0.1 Jelly Bean update. Please fix this or allow people to uninstall updates if they aren't happy with it, without having to go through the hassle of factory reset.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ugo