Multiple Launchers and Home Screen Customizations... A look into things...

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I am going to TRY and not make this a really long post, sorry in advance if I fail at this...

Until the Fold 3, for the last, I have no idea now many phones and years, I have been running Nova Launcher (paid). I LOVE the customizability of this launcher as it has more features than I will ever use, but for me, there were a few key features that I LOVE and miss with the Fold 3. Now, I keep my home screens pretty minimal at most. I don't like having a screen of icons and folders.

Now, this discussion will mainly focus on the Inner Screen but most applies to the outer screen as well.

My 2 favorite places to stuff icons for easy access is the Dock (at the bottom of the home screen) and a Side App Panel (see screenshots for context).

Now, with HomeUp, I can pretty much get the grids that I want and able to set up my home screen with the icons I love, but there is ONE feature that is missing from OneUI and tools that I REALLY wish they would implement. Oh, and Icon Packs in OneUI Suck. :( Nova did such a better job of this too! :p

If anyone knows a way without changing Launchers to do this, please share!!

Multiple Dog Screens. Nova Launcher made this easy, but OneUI does not allow this and I know that Samsung has done this in the past with previous iterations of their launchers.

Now, I have tried the whole trick on using Tasker and other tools (for which there are plenty of tutorials) to run Nova Launcher and others across these multiple screens. However, they are flakey and not as solid as it would be to have a launcher that works native with the Fold 3 and multiple screens.

Any ideas on how to get things going or are we just in a position to wait for Launcher Dev's to get on the Fold Bandwagon?

Screenshot_20211007-104007_One UI Home.pngScreenshot_20211007-104012_One UI Home.png

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if most people are just using the stock OneUI launcher. I've also been a paid Nova Launcher user for many many years but I am contemplating either going to the OneUI or finding something else that just works better. Even using Nova for both the cover and inside (as that is the only way to do this) is clunky when you switch from cover to inside as it takes a ridiculous amount of time to reload when switching from one mode to another. It's probably because I have like 400 apps installed and it needs to organize the app drawer, but still - OneUI doesn't have this issue.

I've also had it with keep hearing about how the Nova devs won't look into optimizing Nova for folding screens since they believe it's niche and a novelty - while Google is pushing with supporting folding screens, as well as some other launchers. I feel like the Nova devs have been tone deaf for months - they seem to rarely consider suggestions in their Discord channel and they make make curious decisions on things without gauging the audience reaction. Nova is great and remains the best out there IMHO but I think they've been sitting on their laurels for a bit now.

I'm just venting a little about launchers. lol

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I, for one, have not used a "stock" launcher for more than setting up a device and installing Nova for longer than I can remember (old age is catching up).

The Fold is the first time I really have given a default launcher any time to sit with me and at this time, I think the ONLY thing that I am really missing is multiple docks. I love with Nova I can have multiple so I can get to apps very quickly.

All in all, OneUI has impressed, but ONLY because of Good Lock and the additional customizations that HomeUp gives. Without HomeUp, I would have spent a LOT more time trying different launchers and getting something to work.

Also, I can't agree more about Nova Dev's. They go through all the motions to make you THINK they want to hear from you, but, in the end, they just want to give people a voice, but keep the mute button on.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm using stock launcher on Fold 3.. On the ZF2 I used Tasker and a write up from reddit to run separate launchers on folded and unfolded screens... But decided to go stock this time

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm using stock launcher on Fold 3.. On the ZF2 I used Tasker and a write up from reddit to run separate launchers on folded and unfolded screens... But decided to go stock this time

I tried it, and in all honesty, for the trouble and issues that were present the couple days I ran that config, it' wasn't worth the hassle just to get more dock screens.

I decided to stick with OneUI and am okay with it so far. :D

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I tried it, and in all honesty, for the trouble and issues that were present the couple days I ran that config, it' wasn't worth the hassle just to get more dock screens.

I decided to stick with OneUI and am okay with it so far. :D
I had it dialed in nicely and ran great for awhile... Now I can't be bothered lol

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
2 things on stock I hate.

Grid Size.... I want 10 by 10 (Well not on the front..LOL).
Horizontal scrolling dock, I scroll up to open the dock then have to scroll sideways to move thru apps is not intuitive for me.

I am currently using the Niagara launcher currently. It is pretty good and minimal.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
2 things on stock I hate.

Grid Size.... I want 10 by 10 (Well not on the front..LOL).
Horizontal scrolling dock, I scroll up to open the dock then have to scroll sideways to move thru apps is not intuitive for me.

I am currently using the Niagara launcher currently. It is pretty good and minimal.

I assume you ate just using the launcher on the big screen?

How is the performance with just one launcher for the inside and default for outside? I have not tried this and may try it.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I only use the Niagara launcher on both screens, for now.

I would go back to Nova if they add support for different setups for inner and outer, like the stock launcher does.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail