Must find a more accurate typing method

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
I have used BlackBerry physical keyboards for decades. Over the past nine months or so, I have been trying to get used to the keyboard on a Samsung S9, but I'm entirely at a loss. Sometimes as much as 40% of what I've typed came out wrong. My hands and thumbs are average size and I'm quite good with hand-eye coordination. I have no idea how others have gotten this to work. I guess years of experience with it.

I've tried a number of the most highly rated keyboard apps (Gboard, SwiftKey, 1C, Smart Keyboard Pro) and I've tried landscape mode, but I'm still experiencing way too many typos.

I have no need for a phone that's larger than the S9 (and I wear my phone on my belt with a holster in landscape orientation).

However, I could use a better camera (for front- and rear-facing videos) and I must find a better way to type with accuracy.

I see that the width of the Note 10+ is only about 10% more than the width of the S9, but maybe it will be enough to make it easier to type accurately with my thumbs.

I've heard that the stylus makes typing more accurate for some users. It may be slower, but my speed is horrific now due to all the typos.

I'd appreciate opinions on whether going to the Note 10 or the Note 10+ is likely to result in a significantly better typing experience for me.

Thanks!

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
You say that you've used BlackBerry physical keyboards for decades and then list the virtual keyboards that you've tried and disliked.

Have you never tried the BlackBerry VKB?

I also used the BlackBerry keyboards for years (PKB & VKB) and couldn't use anything else now on Android. Currently using Cobalts rendition of the BlackBerry VKB on my Nokia 7.1

Give it a shot.

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
You say that you've used BlackBerry physical keyboards for decades and then list the virtual keyboards that you've tried and disliked.

Have you never tried the BlackBerry VKB?

I also used the BlackBerry keyboards for years (PKB & VKB) and couldn't use anything else now on Android. Currently using Cobalts rendition of the BlackBerry VKB on my Nokia 7.1

Give it a shot.

I'm not seeing anything along those lines in the Play Store.

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
You can afmdjust the size of the keyboard

Can't make it wider than the default, which uses the entire width of the screen. Can only make it higher, which doesn't help much since it's the width of the keys that's the main challenge. And landscape has its own challenges since it's awkward and won't work with banking logins and such.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using the swipe typing in landscape mode? That's my preferred method using the Samsung keyboard, Gboard or SwiftKey.

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Have you tried using the swipe typing in landscape mode? That's my preferred method using the Samsung keyboard, Gboard or SwiftKey.

Actually, at your suggestion I tried it and it led me to seeing that this might just be workable. That won't work using the two thumbs, of course, so I tried it with my index finger while holding the phone in the other hand and that seems reasonably workable. And then I tried it with a stylus -- which I picked up earlier today in my hunt for a solution -- and that works even better. So, then I tried swiping in portrait mode with the stylus and that seems to be workable as well.

So does tapping on the keys with the stylus, though swiping seems like it may be faster and just as "almost accurate" once I get the hang of it.

Thanks!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can't make it wider than the default, which uses the entire width of the screen. Can only make it higher, which doesn't help much since it's the width of the keys that's the main challenge. And landscape has its own challenges since it's awkward and won't work with banking logins and such.
Gotcha :(

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have fat fingers. I gave up trying to type with two hands.
I just type with one hand and live for word prediction.
Of the few keyboards I have tried, I like SwiftKey the best.