My 1st 5G experience

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 5G model of the Note 10 plus because it should have been already rolled out in my neighbourhood, after being in contact with my carrier/provider a couple of times I ended up kinda accepting that it just wasn't enabled yet here.
Then today I brought a friend to a store 2 miles away to buy a new laptop and when I went to check the time on my phone I saw the little 5G where 4G normally is, ran a quick speed test and got over 300 mbps download speed, that's roughly 3 times what my broadband is at home when it's best.
Fingers crossed it will be in my area soon enough if it is so close by

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Was there any noticable impact on your battery ?

I ask as I've read feedback from people who say using 5G even in standby depleted their battery faster.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Was there any noticable impact on your battery ?

I ask as I've read feedback from people who say using 5G even in standby depleted their battery faster.

I was only in the shop 15-20 minutes altogether and didn't pay any attention to battery.
Simply just spotted the 5G symbol and then tried the speed test, considering that I got over 300mbps consider to an average of 119mbps at home with WiFi and 4G data download booster enabled I think it was pretty impressive.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I was only in the shop 15-20 minutes altogether and didn't pay any attention to battery.
Simply just spotted the 5G symbol and then tried the speed test, considering that I got over 300mbps consider to an average of 119mbps at home with WiFi and 4G data download booster enabled I think it was pretty impressive.

Don't buy it yet. Not enough infrastructure on ground.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
from the 5G videos I've seen it looks like you have to be right up on the node for it to work. Literally turn a corner and you're back to 4G. Seems like it works more like a home WiFi router than a cell network.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
from the 5G videos I've seen it looks like you have to be right up on the node for it to work. Literally turn a corner and you're back to 4G. Seems like it works more like a home WiFi router than a cell network.

You would be correct in that assessment. Since 5G uses millimeter wave radios, things like walls, buildings, and distance affect it more than the longer wavelength systems like 3G and 4G.

That is the single biggest challenge of deploying 5G. The sheer amount of repeaters needed to provide appropriate coverage in an area. Cities are charging the carriers per pole for installing 5G antennas. The average in the US is approx $30-$40 per pole; except in in Hawai'i. The City of Honolulu wants to charge approx $2500-$3500 per pole. I'm not sure how they will manage in the rural areas in the US. I don't think putting up antennas every couple of miles will go over well.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
In US you see more of the MM wave than here in Europe where mainly midwave is being used in the beginning, putting it simple is really that yours will be faster but more inconsistent where ours is the opposite.
I'm sure it was true 5G otherwise I would see the 5G indicator at home as well where my WiFi is both 2.4 and 5 GHZ

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I just can't wait until it gets more widely rolled out... Look at this.... BOOM - "Mic Drop!"
ab693a25366fa2b092464f0dfcce450f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgibbs83