My Biggest Issue: You can get competitor phones that will blow the Moto X away....for less $$$

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So what part of this paragraph is not hearsay or speculation?
Studies are not public, the amount of work done and how it was done are not public.
No executive in their right mind would admit that their studies are inconclusive, specially when they have a vested interest.

Actually they are statistically significant. I don't train technicians, I train everyday people and workers. We've had customers who didn't even know how to unlock their phone's screens.

Statistically significant does not mean what you think it means. Your experiences are not significant. I'm sorry that you believe they are, but statistically, they are not.

As for the first part, are you honestly trying to claim Motorola and Google executives lied to the entire tech press? Apparently you are not familiar with how Google operates. This phone would not have been approved by Google unless the research backed up their plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not an expert on this stuff so I don't know the answer to this.. maybe someone can help me.

Would it have been possible for them to have put an s800 in their X8 platform or would the extra cores have taken up too much die space?

how incredible would this phone be if that was possible though? I'm guessing the S800 probably cost 10-30 dollars more a piece over the S4 Pro? so bump the phone up to $600 and you have a ridiculously insane phone.. it would still have all its "casual" appeal and practical user appeal, but it would have won the heart of all the techies as well.. the phone would be hard to keep on the shelves.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Your experiences are not significant. I'm sorry that you believe they are, but statistically, they are not.

As for the first part, are you honestly trying to claim Motorola and Google executives lied to the entire tech press? Apparently you are not familiar with how Google operates. This phone would not have been approved by Google unless the research backed up their plan.

When did the executives lie? They didn't, it's called marketing. It's how companies can get away with selling weaknesses as strengths (Apple anyone?).
I don't mean to offend or anything but you may be green behind the ears when it comes to marketing and sales.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Sry to but in with my 2 cents. i used to work at a Best Buy and in other areas of sales as well, ppl will buy what the sales person tells them is good. That goes for either the sales person telling them it's good, or Samsung brand name They are clueless. OR they will walk in already knowing what a friend said is the best if they respect that person a great deal. And the people who think they know stuff will go for specs b/c that's all they know, they are in no way going to understand that a gpu...doh, all gone.. bye bye. And many people are not creative enough to know what they'll get with dif. features so it's easier to understand 1.9 is greater than 1.7. You have to be able to explain to people in what way things will benefit them, otherwise, esp with things that are new, it is very hard to understand. 720P 22" TV vs. 1080P 22" TV. Oh, 1080 is better. okay. The thing people imo will understand the most, is the size of the phone, cuz it's is easy to see and feel. They will not understand the rest of the phone. Then there are the demographics for whom none of those things apply to. For people who like futuristic stuff, the voice thing will click for them right away, they will get that phone, ring it up. Females will buy the moto they don't care if they're boyfriend said the samsung is "better" (which he thinks cuz it has more stuff), unless there is a sales person making them feel stupid for wanting it, then they get the samsung and learn to like it. Large men will buy the samsung.

(unless moto comes up with a better marketing strategy)

People who are analytical will do a effective cost benefit analysis, that's about 20% of all people in my opinion in general who are critical thinkers. lol.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
When did the executives lie? They didn't, it's called marketing. It's how companies can get away with selling weaknesses as strengths (Apple anyone?).
I don't mean to offend or anything but you may be green behind the ears when it comes to marketing and sales.

It has nothing to do with marketing. That is where you are making a mistake. It has to do with the process of these ideas being approved for production, a process at Google that is well known and also applies to Motorola.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
People who are analytical will do a effective cost benefit analysis, that's about 20% of all people in my opinion in general who are critical thinkers. lol.

My estimation is that your too optimistic about the 1:4 of critical thinkers to non. :)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if anyone posts this yet, but yahoo finance reported the build (parts + manufacturing) of the Moto X 16GB was about $214 per handset.

S4 was $233, iPhone of course was something like $205. I think i read Motorola/Google are selling the X to stores for $350, no idea what sammy sold the s4 for, prolly more than 350 since their retail price was higher. Maybe $375?

off contract price for s4 was, what, $630, Moto X, $575.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Don't know if anyone posts this yet, but yahoo finance reported the build (parts + manufacturing) of the Moto X 16GB was about $214 per handset.

S4 was $233, iPhone of course was something like $205. I think i read Motorola/Google are selling the X to stores for $350, no idea what sammy sold the s4 for, prolly more than 350 since their retail price was higher. Maybe $375?

off contract price for s4 was, what, $630, Moto X, $575.

Figures are way off. I have posted up articles on this before. If the phone costs around 600 off contract, the carrier is only getting about 10-15 percent off.

The reason why Apple and other companies make so much profit off their phones is because they do make that much profit off their phones.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Figures are way off. I have posted up articles on this before. If the phone costs around 600 off contract, the carrier is only getting about 10-15 percent off.

The reason why Apple and other companies make so much profit off their phones is because they do make that much profit off their phones.

Can you expand on that? Which are off? and what prices would be more likely? thanks.

cheeto0

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
These are better specs than the HTC One, and pretty much on par with the Galaxy S4.

Laptop magazine said in real world use the moto x was faster than the galaxy s4. Didn't have any lag like the s4. So its not all about specs.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Can you expand on that? Which are off? and what prices would be more likely? thanks.

If the iPhone is being sold off contract for 600 dollars, the carrier is paying between 510-540 dollars for that phone. This is why they are called subsidize phones. There isnt a great discount at all off retail for selling in bulk.

Motorola hasn't change its pricing structure at all, so if the phone is 549 off contract expect that the carrier is paying 85-90 percent of that price.

It is why it was rumored that when the Nexus 4 was being sold by Google on the play store at 349, that Google may losing around 150 to 200 per phone.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If the iPhone is being sold off contract for 600 dollars, the carrier is paying between 510-540 dollars for that phone. This is why they are called subsidize phones. There isnt a great discount at all off retail for selling in bulk.

Motorola hasn't change its pricing structure at all, so if the phone is 549 off contract expect that the carrier is paying 85-90 percent of that price.

It is why it was rumored that when the Nexus 4 was being sold by Google on the play store at 349, that Google may losing around 150 to 200 per phone.

Ahh, the $350 is off. That makes much more sense. lol, that would be sooooo much profit for the carrier, and $350 would make no sense for a $2xx build, a **** load of money goes into the product in addtion to total build cost.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Ahh, the $350 is off. That makes much more sense. lol, that would be sooooo much profit for the carrier, and $350 would make no sense for a $2xx build, a **** load of money goes into the product in addtion to total build cost.

Also R & D, software development, warranty service etc etc.