My first couple of days with my first ever Blackberry device

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
When I first saw the leaked photos of the Blackberry slider that eventually was named the Priv I thought to myself, if that phone turns out to be any good at all I'm getting one. I've never owned/used any Blackberry device but I was nostalgic for the physical keyboards of my Treos and Palm Pre and thought the Priv design looked great.

After reading Russell's review Thursday night (and a few others for comparisons sake), I decided I'd take the plunge and check it out. I hopped on AT&T's site and ordered one for next day pickup at the Chicago Michigan Ave store by my office. Apparently it was a good thing I did it when I did, when I went in at noon Friday to pick up the phone I had to wait 20 minutes because they had actually had to go to the other AT&T store down the street to get mine as they were already out (so basically they sold my pre-ordered phone to someone off the street when they opened at 10 AM - nice).

So, what's the experience been like for someone who knows literally nothing about the Blackberry software experience? First off, it turns out there's a learning curve here with the keyboard that I didn't expect. Not that its essentially anything different than other physical keyboards I've used, but its funny after several years of using soft keyboards like Swiftkey how you get the muscle memory for the punctuation shortcut key - the first time I tried to hit a question mark on the Priv physical keyboard I locked up because my normal gesture of course wasn't available. Now I know it's an alt-key, but I'm old (52) and my close-up vision isn't what it used to be, and it turns out those tiny physical keys are kind of hard for me to make out when I don't have my reading glasses on (the soft keyboard has much larger depictions of the keys). Just something I hadn't thought of.

Also this may by typical for Blackberry users, but for me the alt and shift keys on the physical keyboard are on the opposite spots of where I would expect them. I keep hitting the alt key because its where I naturally expect the shift key. I think I've figured out why the keyboard is laid out like that: most experienced Blackberry keyboard users probably never use the shift key since all you have to do is long-press the letter key and you get a cap automatically. This is actually a cool feature but it's going to take some "retraining" time on my part to make this a natural input mechanism. But if you do your caps that way, then the alt key is really handy where Blackberry put it as you're going to use it way more than the shift key.

I like some of the other shortcut features on the physical keyboard as well, once you learn they're there - I wish there had been a real "manual" on the phone or in the box for us first time users, but I'm finding lots of good stuff on the Blackberry Priv support website.

One thing that initially was driving me crazy was trying to the the cursor control via the physical keyboard capacitive features to work. While the scrolling function works fine, I couldn't get the double-tap function to control the cursor to work at all, and was beginning to think my Priv was defective somehow. Turns out its an issue with Hangouts, which initially was the only thing I was typing in. The only way I can get cursor control while composing a Hangouts text is to actually touch the text area on the screen; then I can scroll the cursor around. I tried it in Evernote and it worked exactly as Russell described it in the review (big relief!), and actually works incredibly well, I prefer it immensely over the long-press and drag on the screen method. Now it just needs to get fixed in Hangouts :) Note that I can't get swipe-left to delete to work either in Hangouts, but it works everywhere else I've tried it.

I can see myself using the physical keyboard for replying to work emails or typing longer notes in Evernote, but honestly I'm shocked how good the Blackberry soft keyboard is. Its method of text selection by popping word suggestions over the next letter in the word your typing is brilliant. I haven't even bothered to switch over to Swiftkey even thought it's loaded.

One thing that no one seems to get right in my experience (besides Motorola) is the initial download/transfer of apps. When I upgraded from my Moto X Pure Edition 2014 to my Moto X Pure Edition 2015 I was stunned to see it copied over all of my home screens exactly as I had them on the 2014 phone. I was hoping for a similar experience with the Priv and even tried the Blackberry transfer program, but it was lame as it basically transfers everything via Google Drive and takes forever, vs. just setting up a peer-to-peer wifi connection and transfering directly between the two devices. I'm still setting up my home screens.

I am re-thinking them however due to some of the cool software tricks of the Priv, particularly the pop-up widgets which are fantastic. I'm basically opting in to all Blackberry "things" (except BBM - I've never used it, no one I know uses it, so why start now?) to give them a fair shot and see if the way they work will really make a difference in my workflow. So far the pop-up widgets are a winner (where they make sense, like Calendar, Pod Catcher, Twitter Mentions), the Blackberry Hub is interesting (although I wish the envelope icons would indicate the account color vs. just that little line on the left side), and I have no idea if I'm really going to use the productivity center. I turned on hold to stay awake but I haven't noticed it make a difference at all, the screen will still go off after the set time even if I'm holding it.

Overall I like the launcher/app drawer, but am disappointed that if I reboot the device I lose "OK Google" until I've manually launched it once again from the search bar so the OS can cache it. And the power key being on the left side is driving me insane - I keep hitting the volume up button to try and turn on/off the screen. Also the power button is in a bad spot for me when taking pictures, I tend to put my thumb right where it is to support the phone in landscape mode.

Speaking of the camera, it seems fine, slow with the flash/low light as people have said, however I've had it completely lose pictures, meaning I take one, see the preview, take another, take another, and the middle one never actually gets saved. Happened twice last night, which is pretty frustrating. I also don't like how the lens is setup, it "stretches anything in the farther edges of the screen away from the center, so if you're taking a group shot the faces at the edge of your picture are distorted, or if you take a 4:3 picture in portrait mode (to get a full-length picture of someone, for example) they are stretched at the top (their head!) and bottom. I've noticed similar behavior on other phones (my Sony Z3 Compact does this too in certain modes) so its not totally surprising, but unwanted none the less.

I tried the picture password and think its a really cool idea, but honestly its quicker to type in a PIN than hunt for my number and then drag it around and precisely place it where it needs to go.

The wireless charging location is in the lower third of the phone which is unfortunate, since it will work with my LG WCP-700 charging pads that I used with my old Nexus phones but you have to place the Priv high on it so it covers the notification LEDs. The Priv will also charge with the old Nexus "ball" Qi charger, but it really isn't practical as it has to sit so high up on it that the base becomes unstable. The newer Nexus Qi charger (the small square one) doesn't seem to work at all with the Priv, but it does magnetically connect to it and when it does it turns the Priv display on - not sure what's going on there. If I end up sticking with the Priv I'll probably look to see if there's an official Blackberry charging pad.

Which will probably happen, because the Priv is really growing on me. Its a tad wider than I would have liked, but it still feels good in the hand and I really like the look of it. The bottom speaker is plenty loud, but I am concerned that the earpiece max volume seemed low to me on the few calls I've had (that could just be getting used to where to place the phone up to my ear, however). I also really like the charge indicator that runs up the side of the screen. This week I'll be checking out its Bluetooth capabilities, it will need to connect to my LG headphones without "skipping" when in my front pants pocket as I walk the mile from home to work - something that the current Moto X has no trouble with but the iPhone 6s is abysmal at (that's my company/work phone and it's getting replaced with a Verizon Droid Turbo 2 on Monday - a long, strange story in its own right).

To sum it up, so far so good, and it gets better as I learn the intricacies and shortcuts of the device.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
swipe down on the physical keyboard to get the symbols pop up.

no need for alt keys.

also question mark should always be on the screen while typing with the physical. isnt it?

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
also question mark should always be on the screen while typing with the physical. isnt it?

No, it's alt-v. Again it's just getting used to where they are. Swiping down on the physical keyboard does give you a symbols touchscreen keyboard, but ? isn't one of the symbols on it :)

Vetboy

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
No, it's alt-v. Again it's just getting used to where they are. Swiping down on the physical keyboard does give you a symbols touchscreen keyboard, but ? isn't one of the symbols on it :)

What if you swipe down twice? I see the ? on the virtual keyboard.

Posted via the Android Central App

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Just to make sure you understand this about picture password as well. You don't have to have your finger on the number and you don't want to move your finger to your chosen spot. Touch the screen anywhere and move your chosen number to the spot. You can also use personal pictures instead of the stock ones.

I'm only telling you this because when I first got my bb10 and tried picture password, I hated it because it was too hard. I thought you had to have your finger on the number and then move it to the precise spot. Well if your finger is in the way you can't see that spot.very well can you? Lol. You may be already figured that out but wanted to throw that out there for you.

Posted via Android Central App

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just to make sure you understand this about picture password as well. You don't have to have your finger on the number and you don't want to move your finger to your chosen spot. Touch the screen anywhere and move your chosen number to the spot. You can also use personal pictures instead of the stock ones.

Ha yeah I get that, it's just sometimes it was tough just to find the actual number anywhere in the grid, in the time it took me to find it on the gird I could have typed in my PIN. It's still cool, but a PIN for me is way faster (and DTEK likes it better anyway :) )

pmccartney

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Ha yeah I get that, it's just sometimes it was tough just to find the actual number anywhere in the grid, in the time it took me to find it on the gird I could have typed in my PIN. It's still cool, but a PIN for me is way faster (and DTEK likes it better anyway :) )
The picture password method can be a little slower than the PIN method but it's advantage is that it is more secure.
If a person watches you type your PIN they can learn it. You can allow a person to watch you use picture password and they will not know your combination.

Glad you're enjoying your Priv.

Posted via the Android Central App

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
How is the ear speaker on it? I have some hearing loss, and while I love my z30, the ear speaker could be louder. Curious about the Priv

fozybear

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Enjoyed your review! I am a long time BB user and am really looking forward to getting a PRIV. I expect to have a similar learning curve with Android as you have with BB and the Hub.

I think this marriage will help strengthen both product offerings and elevate Androids presence in the market place! I can only see greater things to come in the near future!

j21jam6

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Excellent post OP. Well thought out and written well. Glad you're enjoying the Priv.

Posted one-handed via BlackBerry Passport

Sleepy_ER_Dr

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Great Blackberry first time user review. Don't forget to let us know how HUB is. Glad to see you are enjoying your priv and willing to give it a chance at least. :D

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How is the ear speaker on it? I have some hearing loss, and while I love my z30, the ear speaker could be louder. Curious about the Priv

It's good but I find I need to place it in a precise spot on my ear to hear it at it's loudest, it's easy to muffle it if you place it too high on your ear. Basically the edge of the phone needs to be right over your ear canal (does that make sense?).

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Quick follow up on the Bluetooth performance

Bluetooth with my LG 800 headset has been perfect - I haven't had a single skip on my mile-long walk to/from work each day. I've mainly been using it with Pocket Cast but have also been streaming music over Play Music. I've used it both in my front pants pocket and in my jacket pocket with no issue. On the same walk the iPhone 6s was very susceptible to location interference (my walk is through downtown Chicago) and if my messenger bag would block the phone in my pants pocket. Nothing like that with the Priv I'm happy to report :)

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Just swipe down on the physical keyboard for quick punctuation. Do it again for numbers. No need for alt.

To me the alt is quicker once you know where the particular punctuation is, it's a quick press-press vs. swipe down and reach up to hit the symbol you're looking for. To each his own though :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia