My LG G3 only gets 2G (Edge) signal, how can I fix it?

A

AC Question

I received my LG G3 this week, I bought the D850 that is originally of AT&T but it's opened and works with my simcard. The problem is that it only works with 2G and it cannot be changed to 3G or 4G. It's really annoying that I got this full data plan with 4G and only getting that awful EDGE. What could I do to fix that? Someone told me that it could be fixed by flashing the phone but I'm not sure how to do that. I really appretiate if someone could help me! Thanks.
BTW I live in Colombia but the phone should work perfectly with the network here.

TheRoundCross

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, but I guess that's the problem, there's no option for that. And when I go to General>About phone>Network in Mobile network type shows EDGE, and can't be changed. How can I switch to 3G?
It displays you infos about current connections. You can't change anything from there. You have to go in "Settings" and then clicking the first option on which is written "More..."
Than you can find such option I mentioned above and you can change Network Type Connection. :)
I received my LG G3 this week, I bought the D850 that is originally of AT&T but it's opened and works with my simcard. The problem is that it only works with 2G and it cannot be changed to 3G or 4G. It's really annoying that I got this full data plan with 4G and only getting that awful EDGE. What could I do to fix that? Someone told me that it could be fixed by flashing the phone but I'm not sure how to do that. I really appretiate if someone could help me! Thanks.
BTW I live in Colombia but the phone should work perfectly with the network here.

TheRoundCross

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes, but I guess that's the problem, there's no option for that. And when I go to General>About phone>Network in Mobile network type shows EDGE, and can't be changed. How can I switch to 3G?
Ehi, I just dealt with that kind of problem on a G3s running lollipop... Interface it's the same of G3, so:
1) ensure yourself that "Settings > Tethering and Networks > Mobile Networks > Network mode" is set on "GSM/WCDMA/4G (auto)"
2) then check if there's an available APN to which data can connect. Click on "Access Point Names" (or simply APN) in the same screen and add internet configuration of your internet provider (for example Vodafone): you can find thia kind of infos on internet.
Then, save modifies and enable the APN just created.

In the end, everything should work as expected :)

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Issanman

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
My wife brought a Tmobile LG phone to Thailand and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why it would only seem to do 2G edge and never would show 3G no matter what I did to the settings. It turns out that the phone she brought does not have the 2100MHz band built in. The only phone cell provider that works where we stay in "out in-the-middle-of-nowhere" Thailand, (AIS) does all their 3G on the 2100MHz band. The OP may be having a similar problem.

Roma Bakhchiniani

May 17, 2015
Visit site
hello dear friend i have same problem and i root my device then install buildprop editor next i change in buildprop ru.build.target.operator from ATT to OPEN
but at this moment not working rington vibrate end teathing hotspot, network mode is working perfect you can use 4g switcher app

Alexx388

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
I aslo have a LG G3 At&t unlocked, also the same problem.

Reading almost everything I could find on internet, the problem is that there is no Network mode option in the panel, and also there is no RAT option in the hidden menu. It seems AT&T blocks those features and I don't know how to unlock them. I even don't know if another firmware would solve this... but an smartphone like this one with onle 2g (EDGE) internet signal, really SUCKS.

Anybody with a possible solution for this? I would try anything..

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Check the phone specs (gsmarena usually has any GSM phone listed) against the frequencies your carrier uses (see Cellular frequencies - Wikipedia - scroll down if you're not in the US and select your part of the world, then your country).

2. Check that the APN in the phone matches your carrier's APN. If it doesn't, you won't get 3G or 4G, only 2G or wifi. (On some phones, you can't edit the APN. You add a new one, enter your carrier's values, then you can select that one as the one to use.)

Luckycharlie

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I aslo have a LG G3 At&t unlocked, also the same problem.

Reading almost everything I could find on internet, the problem is that there is no Network mode option in the panel, and also there is no RAT option in the hidden menu. It seems AT&T blocks those features and I don't know how to unlock them. I even don't know if another firmware would solve this... but an smartphone like this one with onle 2g (EDGE) internet signal, really SUCKS.

Anybody with a possible solution for this? I would try anything..

Yup. Me too. Got LG G2 from ATT. Switched to straight talk and only edge. Every once in a long long while I'll catch a glimpse of 4G but then it's gone. APN is all set right ect. And I know service is good here cause my wife has an older LG with straight talk and it gets perfect signal right by Me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
factore