My pictures.... What's up?

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
All I hear is how great the camera is.... I have the att D850 version and bought it new in sealed box. I've had the phone about 3 weeks and can't seem to get a crisp picture, even in good light! So frustrating, in a picture taking fool.

Thoughts?

uploadfromtaptalk1448435269795.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448435331886.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The first picture is focused on the fence, so the trees are blurry.

The second one looks as if you're metering on a dark spot (use an app with spot metering and hold, so you can meter on, say, the flower at the bottom, hold that metering, then reframe the picture and snap. (If you're metering on that dark fence, it'll overexpose everything.)

That's all basic photography. The phone may be smart, but cameras are still dumb.

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
The first picture is focused on the fence, so the trees are blurry.

The second one looks as if you're metering on a dark spot (use an app with spot metering and hold, so you can meter on, say, the flower at the bottom, hold that metering, then reframe the picture and snap. (If you're metering on that dark fence, it'll overexpose everything.)

That's all basic photography. The phone may be smart, but cameras are still dumb.
No, if you zoom in a little you can see they are not remotely clear. Here is a couple more pics; one taken with the LG and another taken with my iPhone. uploadfromtaptalk1448464388065.jpg
LG
uploadfromtaptalk1448464432657.jpg
IPhone

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Not intending to throw iPhone into the discussion, but clearly the photo quality is odd. If seen pictures posted in the middle picture thread that show very good pictures from the LG G3! I posted this to see if my routine pictures are typical and that "right shot" just hang happened yet....?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure there's nothing on the lens glass? Looks like you're shooting through plastic or something.
Failing that, condensation somewhere inside the camera module?

Posted via the Android Central App

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Belodion, I agree, it does look like I didn't take the plastic protective film off the lenses, but it is clear/clean. Downloaded a couple other camera apps, same result.

Otherwise, this phone is great. "M" update maybe a camera engagement????

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be best to get a replacement. Either that, or have the camera module replaced. The warranty would surely take care of it, either way.

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting development! Went to the AT&T store to have them look at the phone. Because it is a factory refurbished unit, the carrier warranty doesn't apply (eBay store).

They took the back off and exposed the camera module by taking camera housing off. I was told it looked like trace condensation in the camera. When I got home I took the back off and let a hair dryer blow on the camera housing for about 10 minutes. The picture quality is much better, but not 100% yet. I think I am on to something here!?!?

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
660932a2c54b127be0aa609c9b84388c.jpg

Better??

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
87bc2693128c6c3e091208946e657434.jpg

Outside. Not perfect, but much better. May let the hair dryer blow on it again tomorrow for a while. And I am not using the hot setting.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Well rex, I don't know, it may be better but there's still room for improvement I'd say. But if the condensation is inside the camera module, heating might not fix it. They're sealed components aren't they?

Edit....I just saw the outdoor one....looks better.

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well rex, I don't know, it may be better but there's still room for improvement I'd say. But if the condensation is inside the camera module, heating might not fix it. They're sealed components aren't they?

Edit....I just saw the outdoor one....looks better.
It's weird, and I agree that camera module must be sealed. Gave this a shot because of the trace condensation theory from AT&T.

I also have the iPhone 6, but after using the G3, I simply can't use the other.

I went on eBay and ordered the OEM rear camera. When it gets here, I'll find a local place to put it in for me. In the mean time, I am happier.

rexbaumgartner

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
One more day has passed and the camera is still improving! I don't get it! The OEM camera module replacement is due to be delivered tomorrow, but I might just give this a few more days to see if it clears up completely. Perhaps the storage that the phone (although in sealed box) was extreme cold temperatures??
b2c5269bd7779125335db8379a652a83.jpg

06acf33a50f5147b5d00e119f7a6743b.jpg

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ithink I had same problems as you have. I figured out that the camera was not focusing. I had to tap the side of the phone several times before it would snap into focus. I ordered a new camera module but after calling T Mobile they said they would replace the phone under warranty because it is a known issue that some of the phones had defective camera modules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod