My Review of the XZ Premium

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Weird that there isn't a forum after even the review from AC is out, so thought I'll just share this here. Had the phone for a while for review, and I liked it more that I though I would. I was really hating on the bezels, the chrome finishing, etc. But I got hold of the black unit, and ended up liking it.

IMG_7983.jpg

It's still way too big for me, and the bezels are rather big, but it's around the same as the U11 or the iPhone 7 Plus, so it's not really an outlier here. Other than that, the phone is really solid. The 4k screen is an overkill for normal viewing distance, but it's still amazing to look close up and see how dense this screen is.

The performance is really good too, with Sony's UI being pretty lean, almost close to stock android. The touch response, app launch speeds, gaming performance are all top notch, and feels speedier than the Galaxy S8 and LG G6. The battery life is surprisingly decent too despite the 4K screen. Sony is probably upscaling 1080p most of the time unless there is a need to display native 4k. Average around 5 hours of Screen on time over a full day of use. Or once I tried really heavy use with lots of gaming and some camera use, got 7.5hours screen on time over 10 hours of use. Pretty decent.

Camera is going to be a bit polarising. Some like the image processing, some just hate it. I used to hate Sony's processing and their camera UI having used most generations of their phones like the Z3, Z3 Compact, Z3+, Z5, Z5 Compact, X, and X Compact. But I can definitely see the improvements over the years. I have no issue with their daylight shots now in full auto mode.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

I do agree with Andrew in his review that Superior auto mode can be a bit finicky, but it worked fine for me most of the time. I also find that there is a setting to change the touch to focus to adjust the brightness too, so essentially spot metering. For me the camera works better that way, but pity that there isn't an easy way to slide and adjust exposure like most phones.

The only downside is that low light shots still isn't up to par compared to the other flagships. It still looks good to me, but just that when you pixel peep, it's easy to tell that the camera has to go for higher iso and faster shutterspeed to compensate for the lack of OIS. The aperture not being as wide, might be a factor too. So the images doesn't seem to have as much details with softer edges, more grain, and noise. But it's still good looking enough though.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

It does have other things to make up for that drawback though. Sony's steadyshot in daylight and 1080p looks mightily steady, and might be the best stabilisation I've seen on a phone. And the 960fps camera is extremely fun to play around with. It can be challenging to get the timing right, but incredibly satisfying once you do.

I have the full resolution images on Google Photos shared here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=WUt6V0pHN01sdjJva0o3ODVRU1JPWUVJMkZBSG13

Anyway, sorry for the really long post, but just want to share my thoughts on the phone. For those who don't want to read, i do have a video review up as well.

(the lack of a fingerprint sensor to me is a deal breaker in the US though)

Hopefully when a XZ Premium sub-forum does come about the mods can help to move it to the correct spot. :)

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Just to add on a bit, I have seen a few other reviews since then, and mine's probably a bit more positive than others. I have no doubt that it has its flaws, and on paper the Galaxy S8 is probably one of the best phones around. Looks stunning too. But when it comes down to actually using the phone in a day to day situation, the XZ premium is just as good to me. Performance feels smoother, and interface looks cleaner too. And the unique feature (960fps) is actually really fun to use. Sony does have some ways to go still, and i totally get some of the hate around, but it's not a bad phone.

Also in Singapore where I live, the price of a XZ premium at resellers are around SGD850, so around 615USD? And it's actually a little bit cheaper than the S8. So it's actually not a bad deal here. At 799USD and without fingerprint sensor, you should probably avoid it. :p

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your review. I really want to want this phone, but I absolutely cannot accept that forehead and chin. I do not know what Sony are playing at, with this design in 2017.

Hoping the XZ1/Compact will FINALLY hit the spot.

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Nice review. I have tried the phone myself and found it quite good actually. What's holding me back is the lowlight camera performance. Maybe that noise and grain can be fixed through and update ? OIS is not always necessary just look at the Pixel (I have the XL).
The XZ P is only a 1.3 mm taller than my XL so its bezels are not unusually large.

Last edited:

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your review. I really want to want this phone, but I absolutely cannot accept that forehead and chin. I do not know what Sony are playing at, with this design in 2017.

Hoping the XZ1/Compact will FINALLY hit the spot.

Thanks! For me I find it still acceptable in 2017 (barely), but come later half the year, we'll probably see even more phones with thinner bezels. So in 2018, I think they'll be in trouble if they stick to the thicker bezels.

For me the XZP is way too big for me too, so while I like it, it's not something I would use. But if there is a XZ1 Compact, i'll be totally on-board. Love their compact series.

Alex_Hong

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Nice review. I have tried the phone myself and found it quite good actually. What's holding me back is the lowlight camera performance. Maybe that noise and grain can be fixed through and update ? OIS is not always necessary just look at the Pixel (I have the XL).
The XZ P is only a 1.3 mm taller than my XL so its bezels are not unusually large.

Yeah, lowlight is probably the weakest link for the whole camera experience. I'm guessing part of the reason for that grain is due to the use of a higher ISO and faster shutter speed since it doesn't have OIS. Not helped that the aperture is 2.0 compared to other flagship phones around. Unless they change their image processing to be more like Google's HDR+ mode perhaps.

Size wise the iPhone 7 Plus is around the same size too actually, along with HTC U11. It's a big phone with bigger bezels, but for now it's actually still considered the norm considering at this point in time, the only other 2 mainstream flagship with super thin bezels are the G6 and the S8. But it's not going to stay that way for long though. haha.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, lowlight is probably the weakest link for the whole camera experience. I'm guessing part of the reason for that grain is due to the use of a higher ISO and faster shutter speed since it doesn't have OIS. Not helped that the aperture is 2.0 compared to other flagship phones around. Unless they change their image processing to be more like Google's HDR+ mode perhaps.

Size wise the iPhone 7 Plus is around the same size too actually, along with HTC U11. It's a big phone with bigger bezels, but for now it's actually still considered the norm considering at this point in time, the only other 2 mainstream flagship with super thin bezels are the G6 and the S8. But it's not going to stay that way for long though. haha.
For me, the weakest link is the insane amount of sharpening done by the camera that introduces tons of nasty artifacts and also no raw output.

WinU

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Does the group texting; single text thread, not where it sends to everyone individually, work on the new XZ Premium? I understand group text was built actually to send a single text to each person, not build a chat room. However all my Samsung phones did the single group text. I don't understand how theirs works and the Sony doesn't. Aren't the both using Android messaging? I'm trying textra now but hate using a 3rd party app. I'd rather not. Is the problem the app or the Sony phones? I have the XZS!

Last edited:

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi Alex
Have been following your videos on YouTube named xplod566
Yes the phone is mighty good.camera at low light is a hit or miss but yeah the phone is premium build and so does the features os etc of the phone

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz