My S4 and HTC One Comparison (Ongoing)

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
About .5" diagonally. Compare the two devices next to each other to see the real difference. Is usable display space is not an issue, no harm no foul.

That said, seems silly both being the same size, yet far less useable display on the One.

This is correct. I used both devices and the One's screen starts off .3" smaller and gets smaller in various apps that have the dreaded menu bar. It's most notable on popular apps like Facebook and Angry Birds. Supposedly, it is being address in the 4.2.2 update but when that update is coming to US carriers is anyone's guess.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Kudos to HTC and getting rid of the bar as an option! I wonder if the Google version will have this? My guess is no. Google thinks everybody absolutely loves the bar taking space up.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for the link. This is a great move at the right time. I'm sure by the end of the month US carriers will be releasing the update or know a date. Alot of one's have already received it though in other areas of the world.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/07/08/htc-one-widgets-video-assist-with-android-4-2-2-update/

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I have started to experience random dropped calls on the S4. When trying to re-connect the phone does not want to actually complete the call unless I reboot. I had similar issues with the GS2. I have not experienced this issue with the HTC One. I am happy with the voice quality on both phones.

I also find that S View (or whatever the feature is where the phone is supposed to not dim the display when you are looking at it, scroll/stop scrolling based on where you are viewing, etc) works haphazardly at best. When it works at all.

I really want to like the device but the more I use it the more let down I feel. The big winners on the S4 for me are the screen size, the calendar widget and most likely the camera. I need to use the camera more but believe it will live up to expectations. These three items are making it hard for me to commit to the HTC One despite my feelings that overall the HTC One is a better device for my needs. If AT&T does not roll out 4.2.2 by the end of the month that may be enough to make the S4 the winner. The black bars on some of the screens really, really bug me. Here the phone has a great display and the highest PPI (I believe) and you want to waste too much of the screen with an ugly black bar.

I was pretty happy with the HTC Ones battery life but my subjective feel is that the S4 may have a bit better life the way I use the phones.

If the S4 is the winner I will try a different unit.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree that nav bars on small displays suck! I just wish the hubris plagued Android team realize users would like the feature BUILT IN TO THE OS as an option to hide it. This is the one aspect that iOS is better than Android- no display space taken up by a fixed nav bar.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree that nav bars on small displays suck! I just wish the hubris plagued Android team realize users would like the feature BUILT IN TO THE OS as an option to hide it. This is the one aspect that iOS is better than Android- no display space taken up by a fixed nav bar.

I had to agree with this post.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey WickedRabbit.....I just wanted to thank you for this comparison/review. I know there are a ton of them around but it is nice to get it from a "typical user" standpoint.

I had been scouring craigslist looking for a deal on an at&t S4 for weeks and finally came across a black HTC One priced so good I couldn't pass it up. Now I've got a guy that wants to trade me his S4 for my One. Problem is I have really been enjoying using the One! I have not had the chance to use an S4 so I've been reading your thread and looking forward to your updates. If you had to pick one over the other, which would you go with?

Thanks again.

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison. I just got an s4 and boy did it lag. Had to put a Google edition ROM on it and that helped. I still want the HTC one though.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I do not see the lag folks mention. I have a stock S4 Verizon 32gb and loaded 260 apps on it. Used both stock firmwares and neither have lagged. Even when updating apps in the market at same time. Just as fast as my S3 or faster in UI. Near instantaneous. I use Nova though since do not care for Wiz.

niko_orsini

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this, it's very helpful for me.
Next week I'm going to buy my first (yes, I'm an iOS user :p) Android phone and, obviously, the two phones I'm looking at are the One and the S4. And, obviously, I can't decide.

There's only a thing that worries me about the One: the camera. Is it bad?
I like taking pictures and store them on my Mac, just to watch them later. I don't want to print them or doing things like that.

Anyway, the One is really a sexy phone.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Next week I'm going to buy my first (yes, I'm an iOS user :p) Android phone and, obviously, the two phones I'm looking at are the One and the S4. And, obviously, I can't decide.

I like taking pictures and store them on my Mac, just to watch them later. I don't want to print them or doing things like that.

Anyway, the One is really a sexy phone.

The One uses the different kind of camera with Ultrapixels. Not sure about how terrible the quality is. But based on reviews, it's not as devastating as others have said.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey WickedRabbit..... If you had to pick one over the other, which would you go with?

Thanks again.

Thanks I'm glad you're enjoying the post. As of right now I do find myself going for the HTC One more than the S4. And while there are things I like about the S4 (I like the physical home button, power button on the side, larger display, and Smart Stay) the HTC One just seems like a more polished phone. Right now since I'm not done with the trial I won't say which way I'm going as of yet, but I will say I'm cautiously optimistic in hoping Verizon picks up a 64gb version of this. Using Zoe regularly I just don't see the 32gb being enough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

WickedRabbit

May 31, 2013
Visit site

I like the camera. The S4 seems to take better photos during the day, but the One is no where near bad. It's a good camera. As the sun starts the drop or when indoors it's not even a contest - HTC shines here. For how I use my camera I'm preferring the HTC One camera as a more well rounded camera. Both take good outdoor photos, but only the One takes good indoor. The S4 are pretty noisy and not usable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta