Need Advice on System Update for Orig Incredible

DashDroid

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I have an Incredible, obtained from Verizon back in May 2010. Still have service with Verizon but now it's 2+ years and so am out of contract currently.

It is not rooted and never has been rooted. For now, no plans to root.

Never have received any notification of system update from Verizon-- never. Not sure why-- is there a setting somewhere that turns system update notifications on and off?

More concerning, when I go to "About Phone" and "System Updates" I get the message "Your system is currently up to date."

But I know that is not accurate. Here is my "Software Information" from "About Phone":

Firmware- 2.1-update1
Baseband - 1.00.03.04.06
Kernel - 2.6.29-cc1c2268
Build - 1.22.605.0

So here is what I want to do-- update my Android to 2.2 (Froyo?) at a minimum and preferably 2.3 (Gingerbread?), as long as there are no bugs/problems with the update in question. I don't want to slow down my Inc or reduce its battery life, or cause other negative issues, in order to update its Android version.

I would like the 720p and 820.11n features, plus have the ability to use watchespn (when it comes to Android via Comcast) and to use Comcast VOD. As I understand it, 2.2 covers all of these bases except for Comcast VOD, which requires 2.3.

Is it even possible to choose the Android version I will update to? Or do I have no choice but to accept Verizon's latest update (June 2012) which I have seen a lot of complaints about.

I would like to do the update as simply as possible but also avoid doing it through Verizon-- worried I will get the most recent, buggy version.

I have seen links out there, for example to a "Gingerbread" update in November 2011, but the links for the downloads at google.com are all broken. It seems Google currently does not want downloads of the Android updates direct to phone users from its website-- or am I wrong?

Any advice as to which version is best for the Incredible (given what I want it to do-- see above) and how to get it onto my Inc with the least amount of pain possible (and not through Verizon to avoid the buggy most recent update) would be great.

Thanks in advance.

D.

DashDroid

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, will try that if no other option, but is there any way to download Froyo or Gingerbread for the Incredible without using Verizon. I want to stay away from Verizon and its latest update if possible.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
DashDroid - Welcome to AC!

Here is a link to a RUU (PC/USB Cable) update.
Stock Images | PvilleComp's

The Latest one is actually the one before the update last month. It's stock HTC. There are directions in the software. This will reset your phone in the process so be sure you back up your contacts and make a list of apps you want to re-download.

Hope this helps.

DashDroid

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
PvilleComp:

Thank you very much for the info and link to 4.08.605.2 (the 2.3.4 Gingerbread).

Is there anyway to do this install without resetting the phone?

I am a bit apprehensvie about that kind of a reset (losing contacts) but will do that if it's the only way to avoid the latest Verizon build (4.08.605.15).

Thanks.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
PvilleComp:

Thank you very much for the info and link to 4.08.605.2 (the 2.3.4 Gingerbread).

Is there anyway to do this install without resetting the phone?

I am a bit apprehensvie about that kind of a reset (losing contacts) but will do that if it's the only way to avoid the latest Verizon build (4.08.605.15).

Thanks.

Contacts are the easiest thing to get back.
Do you have your contacts saved on your gmail account ?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Either move contacts to your gmail or, even if you have done it, in the contact app under menu there is an export contacts button. Export both your phone contacts and your gmail contacts to the SD Card. If they don't come back on Gmail when you re-sign in you can import them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d