Need stylus like Note 8, but don't want to buy a phone with a stylus

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
I use the stylus on my Note 8 a lot. The phone is giving out now due to age. There are only a few phones that come with a stylus that I'm aware of - S22 ultra, S21 Ultra, the samsung folding phone, and the moto stylus. I don't particularly want to buy any of those phones.
Can I buy another android phone that will work with a third party stylus that's anywhere near as good as the samsung stylus system? If not I may be stuck buying one of the folding phone from samsung.
Thanks for any input.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Samsung partnered with Wacom over a decade ago for active stylus tech, if you want the pressure sensitivity, palm rejection, and other properties of an active stylus you need a phone that supports it. The technology is built into a layer of the screen itself.

Any phone can use a capacitive stylus, but that performs no different than a finger touch.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I feel like the OP is better off getting used Note 9, or Note 10/+ . It's prolly the most economical path to getting anywhere near your Note 8 but would be an ypgrade (especially the Note 10).

xnote

Oct 25, 2021
Visit site
I"m the OP. I couldn't find the login link until just now.
Those are all useful replies, thank you. I had a feeling that the capacitive type styluses would all be inferior to the samsung/note experience, and that's a problem.
Then, the bottom line is that to have a note-like stylus experience, we have to have a phone that a "active" or "inductive" screen; and that limits the selection to just the few known phones from Samsung (the Notes, and later era S2x ultras). Argh...so many phones, so few options.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I"m the OP. I couldn't find the login link until just now.
Those are all useful replies, thank you. I had a feeling that the capacitive type styluses would all be inferior to the samsung/note experience, and that's a problem.
Then, the bottom line is that to have a note-like stylus experience, we have to have a phone that a "active" or "inductive" screen; and that limits the selection to just the few known phones from Samsung (the Notes, and later era S2x ultras). Argh...so many phones, so few options.

[I changed you to post owner]