Need to dial twice to make an outgoing call

ninad7

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Have been facing this issue for a while now. Whenever I make an outgoing call, the first time, the dialer Does Not make the call. However, if I try again (i.e. the second time), the call is dialled. I have cleared all defaults for all diallers on my phone and uninstalled few of them. The only ones I now have are the default and Contact+. It's been irritating and am short of resetting the device (current OS4.1.2). Any pointers to solving this issue

blanger

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I seem to have the same problem....except i have to sometimes mash on the call button a good 10-15 times before it actually responds. This does not occur all the time, but happens at least every 4th call. WHy is this happening.I am using the stock keypad and i do not have too many apps. Just before this problem showed up, my phone would freeze once in a while (like once a week maybe). Maybe the two are related.

Could someone help out please...or at least point us in the right direction to fix this.
Thanks.

Jay Dxb

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the same the problem in my old galaxy s3 and even the new one. A blue line appears after the first dial and you need to dial again. By the way there is a lag, a slowness in most internal functions. You know what I mean - it takes a countable few seconds to open anything. Is it an android issue or a samsung issue. Havent used any other androids - so cant be sure. Missing my old iphone 4s's butter smooth operation. Alas, but its nowhere near the s3 in resolution and many other features. If only samsung could be as internally fast ( not about downloads/ net ) as an iphone....

Jay Dxb

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
thanks for that great answer julie.... try rebooting or get tech support ! Who doesnt know that. Im trying to find a simple solution that doesnt involve messing up with my phone or going to service center.

Jay Dxb

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I had the same the problem in my old galaxy s3 and even the new one. A blue line appears after the first dial and you need to dial again. By the way there is a lag, a slowness in most internal functions. You know what I mean - it takes a countable few seconds to open anything. Is it an android issue or a samsung issue. Havent used any other androids - so cant be sure. Missing my old iphone 4s's butter smooth operation. Alas, but its nowhere near the s3 in resolution and many other features. If only samsung could be as internally fast ( not about downloads/ net ) as an iphone....

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
thanks for that great answer julie.... try rebooting or get tech support ! Who doesnt know that. Im trying to find a simple solution that doesnt involve messing up with my phone or going to service center.

judes response was a reasonable one, unlike yours. there's no need to get sarcastic in response to her comment.

ub3rst4r

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for bumping this thread but I just wanted to add to it for other people that may be coming across this problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and a few weeks ago, an update for the OS (Android) was released and ever since then, every time I'd go to make a call I'd have to dial twice. I'd dial the number the first time and then right after making the call, it'd go right back to the dial screen and I'd have to dial again. When I dialed the number the second time it'd go through. I phoned the tech support for my carrier (TELUS) and it turned out the problem was my phone became misaligned with their mobile network (because of the update). TELUS restarted my phones connection to their network and now I don't have to dial twice every time I want to make a phone call.

WarrenJeanes

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Following on from ub3rst4r's comment I went into the Mobile Network settings and did a manual network search which disconnects you from the network and then allows you to reconnect to your service provider (my thinking being if this is a sync issue this should be the simplest way of sorting it out). After that restarted phone and it seems to have solved this issue for now although no telling how long it will last.

Don't know if it will work for everyone because I'm in South Africa (and our choice of service providers is not spectacular) but worth a try. Hopefully this is something they will fix in an update.

Hope it helps.

Tim Waterson1

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Can someone respond to this from ANDROID, or someone with a significant amount of knowledge about phones that can indicate the most likely cause of why this is happening and whether or not it is possible to fix, or that this will be fixed in future updates of the phone. This is a very real and serious fault, which in my opinion makes the phone almost worthless. Also, if anyone has contacted tech support regarding this, did they get a solution that worked for them.. after all that is the point of this forum... Thanks!

Daniel Birch

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same trouble as you so I hope this "fix" works for you. This is more of a workaround than a fix.

1. Open your Phone App.
2. Open Settings.
3. Tap on Call.
4. Scroll Down to Auto Retry.
5. Check "Auto Retry"

Now try making a call. On my phone, it fails the first time, but then immediately retries which, of course, works the 2nd time and it happens so fast you barely notice that it is failing the first time.

Jfrenchy

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I agree with Jay....no reason to post anything other than an answer that worked not some crap to try? It is very time consuming to reset a phone and bring it back to where you had it. If you don't have an answer or something that has been proven to help don't contribute! Come on use your head!

Patti McGavic

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
This looks like it worked for others, but it doesn't work on my Note 5. When I open my Phone App and select Settings, I do not have an option simply called 'Call'. I have a section for Call Settings, which has 'Call Blocking', 'Answering and ending calls', 'Call alerts', 'Ringtones and keypad tones', and 'More settings'--which only has 'TTY mode' and 'Hearing Aids' options. I've checked every other setting on my Phone App, and I do not see an option to select 'Auto Retry'. Anyone have this issue with Note 5 who can help?

Thanks!

anon1010tr

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
WarrenJeanes answer fixed this on my phone. Thanks, keeps me from having to call the mostly brain dead customer service reps and trying to explain to them what was needed here.

Richard777

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello, me is to tell you that for almost bought my phone, I had to dial twice every time I had to make an outgoing call. After several tests with different solutions that were proposed on the forums, nothing was done. As against this, saying that this could come from applications but you know the brain teaser this causes until it told me that it came from may be my antivirus. As this is an application that constantly analyzes and is still in sleep then may be I had just discovered the problem. To my surprise after uninstalling the program I have since then no problem .... the antivirus which I subscribed was (Avast). I did some research and I replaced it by (CM Security AppLock Antivirus ) which is very well evaluated in this moment. I hope the help I bring you will solve your problem. Richard.

Rhett Lawson

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Awesome! This fix worked, right away. Thanks WarrenJeanes for this most helpful information. :)
Simply manually selecting my network service provider prompted the phone to refresh the connection. I don't know why rebooting didn't work, but I'm just glad that I only have to dial once now.

BilalBaloch

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
I was facing the same issue on my Samsung galaxy A7 (2015) dual sim ,later i come to know that my voice call selection is my data sim by default owing to which it is not allowing me to dial in first attempt while on 2nd attempt i tap on my Sim2 calling button which gets succeed. It nutshell my problem resolved by changing voice call preference to Sim2.