New Merge story

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Have we really reached the point where no one makes slider QWERTY phones anymore?? That they are all black slabs and we get no choices aside from the Droid# if we want a stinking keyboard?? Because all I've seen (for Verizon) is the Merge and possibly the Xperia Pro.

Where is Verizon's Epic 4G knockoff?? Or any of the (admittedly not stellar spec'd) Samsung keyboard devices for ATT? I mean c'mon Verizon!!!

(I hate that they are the only ones with decent coverage where I live...:()

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Have we really reached the point where no one makes slider QWERTY phones anymore?? That they are all black slabs and we get no choices aside from the Droid# if we want a stinking keyboard?? Because all I've seen (for Verizon) is the Merge and possibly the Xperia Pro.

Where is Verizon's Epic 4G knockoff?? Or any of the (admittedly not stellar spec'd) Samsung keyboard devices for ATT? I mean c'mon Verizon!!!

(I hate that they are the only ones with decent coverage where I live...:()

I know...The only android phone on VZW with a keyboard that's not a Droid is the Ally and that's just "mehhh" all over. :-\

Not to mention it's keyboard is nothing special either...in fact it's potentially worse than the Droid # because of the way the spacebar is mixed in with the letters....do. not. want.

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and one other thing:

No way these are new renders. Twitter

Any if you look at Google news - HTC Merge, you'll see that hasn't stopped people from running a story. Judging from the CES video release in March and this, I've reached my conclusion on pocketnow and per the news results, apparently some others too.

My previous point remains. You guys do your research and have your s*** together. If you look at those guys that are running this story, it's clear they aren't doing theirs. And it's why I'm here. :D

Unrelated to this topic, I think we need a facepalm smiley.

montreux88

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Are those pictures in the article the press shots? I feel like I've seen them before. Hell, my photoshopped April Fools Day picture has similar pictures. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to get out of this article.

Considering Phil's post in another thread, I'm not sure I buy this one. But I want to be disappointed in my thinking that this is wrong.

what post are you refering to?

dyslexicbunny

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
ok...so I am slowly coming to grips with the fact that Phil is probably right, the VZ Merge may be dead...but there is one thing nagging at me. If VZ really meant to never release the phone, why create, upload, and still not remove the VZ Nav App from the market?? Also, why include it in the ad disclaimers for the Indy Car app days later??

I realize this could just be glitchy behavior on the part of the morons at VZ, but...

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
ok...so I am slowly coming to grips with the fact that Phil is probably right, the VZ Merge may be dead...but there is one thing nagging at me. If VZ really meant to never release the phone, why create, upload, and still not remove the VZ Nav App from the market?? Also, why include it in the ad disclaimers for the Indy Car app days later??

I realize this could just be glitchy behavior on the part of the morons at VZ, but...

While I'm hopeful this *isn't* the case, I'd imagine it can be attributed to different departments working on difference aspects of support... and not everyone is always 100% up-to-date on recent changes to the lineup.

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe...I guess I just expected better. As my friend at the VZ call center told me, they are usually pretty quick and accurate with communication. (Additionally she said they get tech support general manuals a week or more before the phone is released, so I always ask her if she's heard anything...its usually no :( ).

Either way...not happy with the fact that lil Blue gets it, but Big Red don't...

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe...I guess I just expected better. As my friend at the VZ call center told me, they are usually pretty quick and accurate with communication. (Additionally she said they get tech support general manuals a week or more before the phone is released, so I always ask her if she's heard anything...its usually no :( ).

Either way...not happy with the fact that lil Blue gets it, but Big Red don't...

Same i'm hoping that the VZ navi thing proves to be right...but chances are its just a case of a company being too big so everyone doesn't know what the other is doing....

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If I were a VZW customer looking forward to a new qwerty slider, it wouldn't be the Merge, probably more like the Droid 3. I think that's what you were saying, BoSox, with the "Droid#". Although I realize it will be another 4-6 months wait. I haven't seen much on the Xperia.

The Merge has older specs, especially compared to new VZW phones. The Droid 3 looks to be on par with the newer phones, including dual core and front camera I think, and LTE I'm sure. Of course I also realize some want Sense over Blur. But have you seen the videos of 2.3 with Blur?...looks pretty nice!

I'll admit the Merge is nice but it would have been much nicer in comparison had it been released last year when it was first rumored to come to Verizon. I'm still at Alltel and we're glad to have it as an option because frankly, we'll take what we can get. I actually helped a friend set up his Merge today. He switched from BB.

As for myself, I'm still waiting on the Droid X (Milestone X at Alltel) which is due out next Thur. Only 10 months behind VZW's release. I think I'd rather have the keyboard over touchscreen only, but I like the bigger screen and HDMI on the DX. So all we can do at Alltel is look forward to new old phones. The Merge is still nice though, especially for Alltel, but sub-par for VZW at this point.

Btw...the Merge feels heavy. It was my first reaction. I've handled several DX's, and although I didn't have one to compare today, I'm pretty sure the slider is quite a bit heavier.

Droid 3's meh (to me) for many reasons:

1. Why the hell isn't the keyboard better, at least by the pics so far? It appears to be a spinoff of the smushy membrane tiny keyed crap keyboard as Droid 1/Droid 2. Also...why are the top few rows staggered yet the bottom rows aren't? It makes no sense. I'd be willing to try it out though, who knows I could love it!

2. It'll probably run Blur...despite the rumor's. :/ I don't want Blur...period.

3. Encrypted bootloader will probably be on it...principles and all that...:p

4. This is probably the weakest excuse but I want a new phone soon. My Droid 1's slowly beginning to feel like its time to trade up (funky headphone jack behavior, bubbly keyboard) and I also don't want to lose my New Every 2. Finally, I want in on a new phone before capped data and I'll probably be able to save money on the Merge purchase price wise than a Droid 3 which'll sell for the typical 199.99 (or more for LTE) for months.

I know the specs on the Merge are now strictly midrange compared to 8 months ago, but I'm sure I could live with the restrictions for 2 years....:-\

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
If I were a VZW customer looking forward to a new qwerty slider, it wouldn't be the Merge, probably more like the Droid 3. I think that's what you were saying, BoSox, with the "Droid#". Although I realize it will be another 4-6 months wait. I haven't seen much on the Xperia.

Pretty much what I was saying, yes. I just go with "Droid#" because despite the difference in internals, to those of us who want better hardware keyboard-wise, they are all the same damn phone :(

Xperia has been hard to come by news wise, but the pics show a great keyboard and so long as they make a CDMA version like the PLay, it may be my next phone...though I'm told it is much more plasticy than your typical HTC...

The Merge has older specs, especially compared to new VZW phones. The Droid 3 looks to be on par with the newer phones, including dual core and front camera I think, and LTE I'm sure. Of course I also realize some want Sense over Blur. But have you seen the videos of 2.3 with Blur?...looks pretty nice!

Like I told my friend who works at Verizon's call center (who tells me all the time to just get a black slab with a virtual keyboard because thats all everyone wants...BS!), I don't need super fast and flashy. I work for the government so I'm more of a business user, I don't need to be able to watch tv or game the day away so the 800meg snapdragoon is fine by me. Also, FFC is no biggie, as I don't need people I talk with on the phone actually SEEING that I am barely paying attention to them. As for LTE...I don't use the web/data on my phone nearly as much as many people do...plus its not in my area for a long while...so 3G is ok by me...

I just need a fairly speedy (mid to upper mid range) OS that has decent call quality, is android so I can have a couple fun goodies, syncs with my calendar and gmail, and has a really good keyboard because I have bigger fingers (and because in my work, I can't afford auto-correct shenanigans).

I'll admit the Merge is nice but it would have been much nicer in comparison had it been released last year when it was first rumored to come to Verizon. I'm still at Alltel and we're glad to have it as an option because frankly, we'll take what we can get. I actually helped a friend set up his Merge today. He switched from BB.

I'm switching from BB as well (the Pearl Flip, if THAT doesn't tell you I don't need super-fast and prefer BIG buttons, I don't know what would...:p)

As for myself, I'm still waiting on the Droid X (Milestone X at Alltel) which is due out next Thur. Only 10 months behind VZW's release. I think I'd rather have the keyboard over touchscreen only, but I like the bigger screen and HDMI on the DX. So all we can do at Alltel is look forward to new old phones. The Merge is still nice though, especially for Alltel, but sub-par for VZW at this point.

There's another thing...I need the phone to fit in my suit pocket or my jeans pocket depending on the day...anything above 4" is just too big IMHO.

Btw...the Merge feels heavy. It was my first reaction. I've handled several DX's, and although I didn't have one to compare today, I'm pretty sure the slider is quite a bit heavier.

I can live with heavy. I'm 6'3" and 210 lbs...if I can't lift a slightly heavier phone I'm in trouble!!! :eek: And frankly I like my gear to be more substantial...I hate tech that feels fragile when I handle it, which if frankly one of my concerns about the Xperia Pro...but if VZ lets me down....who knows...:(

OH, and one more thing...I could live without Blur. My preference lies with Sense...but I will say Blur looks better than the Timescape UI they have on the XperiaPro...but again, if its my only option with a good KB, I'll learn to like it...

Reactions: rickhamilton620

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I just want to say "ditto" to BoSoxHusker's whole post. I've been sitting on an upgrade for two months now, waiting for the Merge. I can't give up yet. For what I need, it looks to be the perfect phone for me.

Reactions: BoSoxSuperman

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Droid 3's meh (to me) for many reasons:

1. Why the hell isn't the keyboard better, at least by the pics so far? It appears to be a spinoff of the smushy membrane tiny keyed crap keyboard as Droid 1/Droid 2. Also...why are the top few rows staggered yet the bottom rows aren't? It makes no sense. I'd be willing to try it out though, who knows I could love it!

2. It'll probably run Blur...despite the rumor's. :/ I don't want Blur...period.

3. Encrypted bootloader will probably be on it...principles and all that...:p

4. This is probably the weakest excuse but I want a new phone soon. My Droid 1's slowly beginning to feel like its time to trade up (funky headphone jack behavior, bubbly keyboard) and I also don't want to lose my New Every 2. Finally, I want in on a new phone before capped data and I'll probably be able to save money on the Merge purchase price wise than a Droid 3 which'll sell for the typical 199.99 (or more for LTE) for months.

I know the specs on the Merge are now strictly midrange compared to 8 months ago, but I'm sure I could live with the restrictions for 2 years....:-\

Couldn't have said it better myself. I already have a phone that is very close to this thing (Droid 2), but I'd gladly take a Merge over this for the same reasons I'm not terribly interested in the D3: crappy keyboard, locked bootloader and Blur. I've been sitting on an upgrade for a second line (that I intend to use as an "alternate" upgrade) since September, and the Merge has mainly been all I've seen that's interested me - I'd just sell the Droid 2 then. I only got the D2 when I did because I wanted to get in on the Smartphones Talk Free promo that had running a while back; I couldn't pass up the deal even though a Merge was what I wanted.

Sure the hardware specs on the D3 sound good, but I'm not going to go with another crap keyboard like I have on this D2. What I'd really be interested in is a Merge with better specs, like a Merge 2, but I haven't seen anything even alluded to such a device coming out in the foreseeable future. Likewise, I've seen nothing keyboarded with good specs from LG or Samsung anticipated either.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What I'd really be interested in is a Merge with better specs, like a Merge 2, but I haven't seen anything even alluded to such a device coming out in the foreseeable future. Likewise, I've seen nothing keyboarded with good specs from LG or Samsung anticipated either.

Yep, If LG could somehow get the Quantum WP7 phone over to VZW, shove Android on it, and make sure their shift and alt key issue was resolved, that would be a great phone. The keyboard looks fantastic:

LG-Quantum.png

:p

BoSoxSuperman

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Best line ever from my friend who works for the VZ call center:

"If you would just let Verizon dictate to you which phone you should want, life would be so much easier"

Sad...but true at this point...:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid