New Swiftkey is Fantabulous...

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Are there any naysayers? I have never seen such a lovefest on an Internet forum before. I am using it right now for the first time. I personally must be the of person in the world who likes the stock Samsung keyboard. The way they space the letters helps me type more accurately.

I am finding that as I type this using SwiftKey that the larger keys help me type much faster and I'm not noticing any typing mistakes to go back and correct.
I don't like the warning it gave basically telling me that SwiftKey is logging everything I type including credit card numbers. Maybe this is why it's free now. All these phones and tablets do nowadays is collect personal data.

Dr. S

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call myself a naysayer, but I keep trying SwiftKey and always end up going back to Swype. The gesture typing just seems a lot smoother to me.

SwiftKey's number row is nice though, and the new minimalist themes are gorgeous. But they're a lot less functional since they don't have the secondary characters displayed. Do they plan on updating existing themes to add that sort of thing? Or will they put it in a new theme and try to make everyone buy it again?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are there any naysayers? I have never seen such a lovefest on an Internet forum before. I am using it right now for the first time. I personally must be the of person in the world who likes the stock Samsung keyboard. The way they space the letters helps me type more accurately.

I am finding that as I type this using SwiftKey that the larger keys help me type much faster and I'm not noticing any typing mistakes to go back and correct.
I don't like the warning it gave basically telling me that SwiftKey is logging everything I type including credit card numbers. Maybe this is why it's free now. All these phones and tablets do nowadays is collect personal data.

All keyboards need that permission. Unless you use a physical keyboard that is.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Are there any naysayers? . I personally must be the of person in the world who likes the stock Samsung keyboard. The way they space the letters helps me type more accurately.

same here, something about the layout of sk just isn't working for me. It's a bummer cuz i love their prediction. So i end up back with the google keyboard.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

All keyboards need that permission. Unless you use a physical keyboard that is.

This. They have to have this permission since they are the main input on everything.. So It can see everything. I've used SwiftKey for years without issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
5 minutes isn't fair time! :p.

It was really obvious that we weren't compatible, but I'm willing to give it another shot at a later date. Honestly, I do voice dictation a lot more than I use the keyboard on my phone.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Today the Google keyboard is better for me, but I'd REALLY like themes to become available on Google's keyboard. Themes are awesome. So are customization options (size, location, docked, etc - whether or not to show a separate number row, etc, etc). Android and the OEM's can learn a lot from these apps.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why are Google and Apple not copying THIS and using it as their default keyboards? It's better than either of them.

Now that it's free it will own the world. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&token=Wv-XQBpM - The Nickel theme is just awesome...exactly what I have always wanted the keyboard to look like.

Only downside is that this might destroy any competition. It is that good.

Ya, I used to use Swype exclusively. Then I switched to Google Keyboard when they put that into the Play Store. However, when I got a Nexus 7, I installed SwiftKey because I hated the layout of the Google keyboard on tablets. Now I use SwiftKey exclusively on all my devices. Having the dedicated number row in the newest update is amazing.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been using it since they just made it free and it is amazing.

It gets better the more you use it... Then you sync it to the cloud so when you get a new phone you can download it again.. Sync it.. And it knows all your stuff right off the bat :D.

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
It gets better the more you use it... Then you sync it to the cloud so when you get a new phone you can download it again.. Sync it.. And it knows all your stuff right off the bat :D.

Yeah its pretty spot on right now. Every time the keyboard opens up the word bank always shows kk, I, and Yeah. Because they're my most used words for texts.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It was really obvious that we weren't compatible, but I'm willing to give it another shot at a later date. Honestly, I do voice dictation a lot more than I use the keyboard on my phone.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

The great thing is there are so many choices for keyboards. And keyboards are a personal preference. So user what's best for you

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

You know, those security warnings can be a bit harsh... There's a page somewhere that actually says what those mean, and not the worst case scenario as to how they can be exploited. Basically, Switftkey, or Swype, or Google Keyboard.... it has to process what you type and do something with it. Do you want predictive text? It needs to keep track of what you type. Do you want it to learn your own particular vocabulary? Yep... key logging.

I can't be sure, but I would chance a guess that even Google probably leaves the keyboard data be when it mines data... I would be surprised if they sucked in data not processed through Google Now, Chrome, etc....

A keyboard logging your keys is one thing.... a flashlight using your GPS to get your location to report back... THAT is abuse. :)

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Cubed Red FTW!
u2ybe5y7.jpg

Sent from my GS5

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member