New to Android Central... Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Questions

Saajan Patel1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

My name is Saajan Patel, i am new to android central. I just recently bought my first android, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I love it! I intend to use it to replace my notebook (when i start school again in the spring (i am a full time student)). I just used it to study for my finals and it worked great! I have an iphone 4s, my father has an ipad 3, my school gave me a lenovo laptop, my sister has a macbook pro, and now to this family, i have added this new samsung.

(I posted this in Samsung Note 8.0 because i could not find the 10.1... if there is a 10.1 out there, admin, i apologize please transfer this thread to that section)

First of all, let me say that i do not have any bias with the phones or tablets, i bought my dad an ipad because he is not good with technology and i wanted to get him something that did not make him tweek alot of settings to the point where i would be lost to. I got myself the galaxy note 10.1 for school.. and because i wanted to try out android.

Now here are some problems or issues or questions that you experienced androiders (if thats what you/we are called).
1) So i put music into my tablet few days ago via usb and using the usb settings on the tablet as (to camera) so it reads as a harddrive. Today i plugged it in and i can see the music on the android and the folders, but on my laptop, i only see the folders, no music content. I went and double checked on the tablet, everything is there.

2) My friend gave me "Insanity" via usb as well and i am having the same issue as #1 above.

3) I have been reading alot about the 64gb microSD maximum input. Can someone confirm that and also what "format" do i need to buy the microSD. If there are any good links that will not break the bank for this, please provide, i would happily use it.

4) I bought a case online for my note 10.1, and it comes with a sleeve, headphones, and bunch of other stuff (14 Accessory Charger Cable Leather Case Bag for Samsung Galaxy Note 10 1 N8000 | eBay) is it worth it? I already ordered it, and i thought it was good. I didnt need the high tech cover by samsung which i saw at best buy which had an outrageous price!

5) For the things i have bought on ebay, it list a stylus, will that work with my tablet? If not, will it work with an ipad?

6) What are your recommendations of apps and widgets, i have searched alot, but i need something that can be useful and productive. Since my tablet has the Smart Remote app, does that have a widget?

7) Sometimes i feel like my tablet is slow sometimes, but then sometimes its super fast, anything to suggest to keep it fast at all times or shall i get used to this?

8) Does samsung and phone use the same charger? They look the same, but they don't fit eachother.

9) What are your best recommended accessories for the tablet?

10) Is jellybean 4.1.2 the latest for this tablet? Will there be a new one coming out anytime soon?

11) Anything i should know for my further use of androids or this tablet?

12) Love the tablet! Liking android alot! Thank you!

13) I apologize for all these questions, i know it alot.

Thank you,
I appreciate the help!
Saajan Patel

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

My name is Saajan Patel, i am new to android central. I just recently bought my first android, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. I love it! I intend to use it to replace my notebook (when i start school again in the spring (i am a full time student)). I just used it to study for my finals and it worked great! I have an iphone 4s, my father has an ipad 3, my school gave me a lenovo laptop, my sister has a macbook pro, and now to this family, i have added this new samsung.

(I posted this in Samsung Note 8.0 because i could not find the 10.1... if there is a 10.1 out there, admin, i apologize please transfer this thread to that section)

First of all, let me say that i do not have any bias with the phones or tablets, i bought my dad an ipad because he is not good with technology and i wanted to get him something that did not make him tweek alot of settings to the point where i would be lost to. I got myself the galaxy note 10.1 for school.. and because i wanted to try out android.

Now here are some problems or issues or questions that you experienced androiders (if thats what you/we are called).
1) So i put music into my tablet few days ago via usb and using the usb settings on the tablet as (to camera) so it reads as a harddrive. Today i plugged it in and i can see the music on the android and the folders, but on my laptop, i only see the folders, no music content. I went and double checked on the tablet, everything is there.

2) My friend gave me "Insanity" via usb as well and i am having the same issue as #1 above.

3) I have been reading alot about the 64gb microSD maximum input. Can someone confirm that and also what "format" do i need to buy the microSD. If there are any good links that will not break the bank for this, please provide, i would happily use it.

4) I bought a case online for my note 10.1, and it comes with a sleeve, headphones, and bunch of other stuff (14 Accessory Charger Cable Leather Case Bag for Samsung Galaxy Note 10 1 N8000 | eBay) is it worth it? I already ordered it, and i thought it was good. I didnt need the high tech cover by samsung which i saw at best buy which had an outrageous price!

5) For the things i have bought on ebay, it list a stylus, will that work with my tablet? If not, will it work with an ipad?

6) What are your recommendations of apps and widgets, i have searched alot, but i need something that can be useful and productive. Since my tablet has the Smart Remote app, does that have a widget?

7) Sometimes i feel like my tablet is slow sometimes, but then sometimes its super fast, anything to suggest to keep it fast at all times or shall i get used to this?

8) Does samsung and phone use the same charger? They look the same, but they don't fit eachother.

9) What are your best recommended accessories for the tablet?

10) Is jellybean 4.1.2 the latest for this tablet? Will there be a new one coming out anytime soon?

11) Anything i should know for my further use of androids or this tablet?

12) Love the tablet! Liking android alot! Thank you!

13) I apologize for all these questions, i know it alot.

Thank you,
I appreciate the help!
Saajan Patel

First off: welcome to the forums!

1+2. Try accessing your music through the stock music player. Should look like a note with a circle around it.
3. Samsung has had some issues with higher capacity cards reading in devices. 64 gets into the XD stages which takes a different format, and that format is licensed by Microsoft. SO at times it's a compatibility issue. If you haven't bought a card yet, try a 32 HCSD card.
4. Seems a little excessive in piece numbers Most of that stuff is duplicates and more things you have to keep track of. But, that is also my opinion. Overall, not bad for the price you pay.
5. Stylus should work. You may need to link it, but even then I don't think so.
6. Peel should be the remote app. Please elaborate on what kind of apps you would like. Just general categories. One I can think of right away is Kingsoft. Allows editing of most, if not all, formats of documents, even Microsoft. I like that app so much, I got it for my PC.
7. Depends on what apps are either running in the background, or you may be seeing Android in the process of killing apps to make RAM available for your current use. You can disable bloatware apps to make more room for what you will use. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ng-apps-galaxy-s3-tab-2-no-root-required.html
8. The end that connects to the device is different. Something in the pin configuration.
9. I think #4 covered that. Lol...
10. Yes. And I think 4.2 is coming out later this year or early next year. Depends on where you are. International always gets the new version first. US comes later, my estimate is based on last heard rumor, and US version.
11. Elaborate, please.
12. I have a tab 2 7.0, so a lot of the features are similar.

Saajan Patel1

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for moving the thread and thank you for replying back.

The apps i want to elaborate are such that will be useful for college. Like agenda keeping and such. Maybe a quick calculator? Scientific/graphic calculator if possible? I am a civil engineering student if that helps.

Do you guys recommend on any sources for getting a 32 microSD compatible with my tablet that wont break the bank? I know some places you can find it for 20, other places you can find it for 50.

Also, i still was not able to access the music on my laptop via usb connected to the tablet.

Thank you,
Saajan P

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for moving the thread and thank you for replying back.

The apps i want to elaborate are such that will be useful for college. Like agenda keeping and such. Maybe a quick calculator? Scientific/graphic calculator if possible? I am a civil engineering student if that helps.

Do you guys recommend on any sources for getting a 32 microSD compatible with my tablet that wont break the bank? I know some places you can find it for 20, other places you can find it for 50.

Also, i still was not able to access the music on my laptop via usb connected to the tablet.

Thank you,
Saajan P

Go into Play and tap the magnifying glass to search for apps. Type in calculator and try them out.
As for cards, Amazon or Shop android on this site offer good deals.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.