Visit site
【Version】
V2.20.40.97_20150917

【Model Name】
ZenFone2 (ZE551ML)

【Release Date】
2015/09/22

【Release Note】*

1* ** ***Fixed the display issue after answering a call.
2* ** ***Fixed the issue that photo will be yellowish when use flash .
3* ** ***Improve stability of modem
6* ** ***Improve memory usage
7* ** ***Fix Power and Boost duplicated icon issue

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll say one thing about ASUS, they sure do send lots of system updates out for this phone!

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
WiFi scanning still turns itself on though. 😑

ASUS ZenFone 2 (4GB RAM)

You sure it's not Google location doing that? Because when I go into that setting, it clearly states that it will constantly scan for wi-fi location even with wifi off etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You sure it's not Google location doing that? Because when I go into that setting, it clearly states that it will constantly scan for wi-fi location even with wifi off etc.

I don't think so, because this doesn't happen on my Nexus 5 with Location Service or Location History turned on. The Keep Scanning On option says "Let Google's location service and other apps scan for networks, even when Wi-Fi is off"--it sounds like more of a permission thing, rather than indicating that if you turn on Location History (or just the basic Location Service), that it will force the wi-fi scanning to be turned on.

Albert Tan888

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
WiFi scanning still turns itself on though. 😑

ASUS ZenFone 2 (4GB RAM)

This is a normal feature of asus when you try to change power profile either performance or normal mode. If you want wifi scanning to be permanently off choose custom. But if you change profile again as the one mentioned above, it will automatically be turned on as it is programmed as default setting on those profiles.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Even on Custom, it keeps turning on. It really shouldn't be normal--if the user turns it off, it should stay off. It's hard to tell how much extra power the scanning might take, and it may be inconsequential, but I would imagine it's still not zero.

Albert Tan888

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Even on Custom, it keeps turning on. It really shouldn't be normal--if the user turns it off, it should stay off. It's hard to tell how much extra power the scanning might take, and it may be inconsequential, but I would imagine it's still not zero.

As ive said if you change profile other than custom it will turn on.

You have to turn off wifi scanning manually under customize mode as long as you don't change profile it will never turn on again.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by what you said. You initially said, "If you want wifi scanning to be permanently off, choose custom." I am on Custom, and I haven't changed it at all. I have turned it off manually many times while on Custom, and it keeps turning back on.

Albert Tan888

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I'm a bit confused by what you said. You initially said, "If you want wifi scanning to be permanently off, choose custom." I am on Custom, and I haven't changed it at all. I have turned it off manually many times while on Custom, and it keeps turning back on.

Am sorry for that ok here goes

1.) go to power saver then custom mode

2.) on Custom mode select your preferred settings.

3.) exit power saver then go to wifi settings

4.) turn off wifi scanning

And your done. As long as you don't change your power profile and is always on Custom, the wifi scanning will remain off regardless.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but that's exactly what I've been doing. I really don't think this is an intentional feature on ASUS's part--I think it's a bug.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll take many updates to make any phone better vs. (if you're lucky) I update a year then at some point none after year two.

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
To many updates. that is why I switched to a Galaxy A-7 phone. Not to many updates.

Wow. I honestly find that funny.

It is usually a positive thing to get updates frecuently, or at least it's way better that getting 2 or so from the OEM on the first months and then forgetting about the device (and still having bugs and issues).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ASUS's updates for this phone have been largely problem free, at least for me. This wi-fi scanning issue is the only thing that I've noticed.