Nexus 5: Best Alternative SMS App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I sideloaded the stock (i.e. AOSP) text apk. No BS, does the job.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Any chance you could point me in the direction of sideloading that bad boy? 8SMS is pretty good, but man I love me some AOSP SMS action. I hate that they left it out and force Hangouts on us.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Any chance you could point me in the direction of sideloading that bad boy? 8SMS is pretty good, but man I love me some AOSP SMS action. I hate that they left it out and force Hangouts on us.

I posted a DB link to the apk in a Hangouts/sms thread either in this forum or the N7 2013 forum. If you can't find it, I'll try to put the link here later today.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've tried them all. Textra is the neatest and cleanest, never lags or crashes, lots of updates. Coolest feature is the favorites drop down. Pull down the shade and open a new text and your most contacted pops up to make selection super easy. Only thing missing is a privacy box for individual contacts. Hopefully coming soon.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

My understanding is that 8SMS *is* the stock AOSP/Android SMS app that was removed from Android in favor of Hangouts. They just renamed it and added some additional features.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello SMS is pretty solid. If you have ever used an iPhone this app will seem very familiar. My only gripe is there isn't a dashclock extension.

Posted via Android Central App

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Handcent. I like it better than Textra because I can set Handcent to only search for mobile numbers in my contacts. Textra won't do it. All the other things you mentioned in your post Handcent does. There are multiple themes out there and they're all free. Right now I go back and forth with either the HTC Sense theme or Samsung text app theme. It works great on the N5.

Try it and see what you think.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Hated Hangout after trying it twice even after it was updated. I then ran with 8SMS for about a month but had issues with picture that were texted to me I never got from friends on different networks. Switched to Textra and now I get the everything. Both 8SMS and Textra are good but I have changed my vote to Textra. They are both free so try them out.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hated Hangout after trying it twice even after it was updated. I then ran with 8SMS for about a month but had issues with picture that were texted to me I never got from friends on different networks. Switched to Textra and now I get the everything. Both 8SMS and Textra are good but I have changed my vote to Textra. They are both free so try them out.

Those are the two I would choose. The only issue I have with Textra is that I don't like how it doesn't use a more AOSP look. 8sms is great for looking like stock Android which is what I prefer. Did you figure out why your pictures weren't coming through? I haven't had any issues with that yet. I'm on AT&T.

RSindian

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I go back and forth between Hello SMS, Evolve SMS and Sliding Messaging Pro. I love the interfaces, and they just work consistently for me. I like to switch the look up after awhile.

Last edited:

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Textra is my favorite based on its features. Coming from a Samsung device, I really enjoy the ability to designate different text message sounds for evryone. Textra provides this by long pressing on the individual's name. This opens a new menu.