Stylo 5 SMS ISSUE! Helllp!!

PiXiL LoVe

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
okaayyy so I've seen like a hundred+ other posts about this same issue with a sleewwwww of various phones, carriers, & actual problematic issues, sooo here's mine and hopefully someone can help me with my particular situation.

Base issue: I cannot receive SMS text messages from ONLY my boyfriend it is causing serious issues in our relationship. :'( & it's pissing both of us off. This has happened very sporadically over the course of the last 1y9mo we have been together, across a multitude of devices, all with the same carrier tho. So I'm sure details are all to oft never given enough of, I'll try to include everything I can think of.

--Details--
My phone: LG Stylo 5, recently updated with Android Q update, developer options turned on
His phone: Samsung Galaxy J2 {not sure android version or if current on updates, he's bad on upkeep with his phone} no developer options turned on

Carrier: Both phones are on the Metro by T-Mobile Network, separate lines not on the same plan though, as well yesterday I had Metro reset my network connection from their end through customer service line.

Messaging Apps: We are both using the standard built in stock messaging apps for our respective devices we've never had our numbers on Iphone's with iMessage (my number is semi-new to me so I double checked through Apple's de-register help center online)

I receive MMS from him just fine but not SMS. He receives my messages about 99.95% of the time with no issues.
this has been happening extremely sporadically on all of our phones and only with each other he can send & receive SMS & MMS with any & everyone else, as well can I with everyone else.

Neither of us have each other blocked in any way shape or form, either on our devices or through Metro.

This was happening before my phone's update to Android Q & has been exacerbated since the update. I have gone through all of my network settings, SMS/MMS settings, and Developer Options as well as ANYTHING else I can fathom may cause any interference. i do have a VPN set up through which i make money from an App called Smart Panel, however, this problem existed before I set that up on my device & has persisted since I set it up. I am at a total loss here. so far the only thing I haven't done is boot in safe mode on my device. I still need to check in his phone to see if there are any issues from his end but regardless if anyone can think of anything else to try on my end it would be so appreciated & always worth a shot I know I'm not the only one that's ever had this issue & its more often than not a quirky ill-known setting or something so simply dumb that can happen to cause issues like this. However, it's a pestilent problem none-the-less. Any help is appreciated.

I am fairly tech savvy & learning coding atm, so nothing is too complicated for me to understand/do, except apparently figuring out this dumb and sporadically persistent issue.
As I said, I have not gone through his phone to see if any issues are coming from his end but will be soon and if it fixes it I will updated and close this thread.

Best Regards & Thanks in Advance for any assistance offered!
-Pixil

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
For note, the J2 is likely running 8.1, the same as mine. This isn't the first time I've seen issues with SMS over Metro, I saw at least one thread last week. There was also another Stylo 5 user complaining of the issue, as I recall. Is there any way to use another form of communication, like Messenger, maybe? Or contact Metro and have them refresh the service to both phones?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do both of you have RCS turned on? It might be called something like "Advanced Chat" in the messaging app's settings. Make sure both of you have it turned on -- if you already do, then try turning off RCS and see if that makes a difference.

I agree with BergerKing's suggestion of trying a different messaging platform. Telegram is quite good.

PiXiL LoVe

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do both of you have RCS turned on? It might be called something like "Advanced Chat" in the messaging app's settings. Make sure both of you have it turned on -- if you already do, then try turning off RCS and see if that makes a difference.

I agree with BergerKing's suggestion of trying a different messaging platform. Telegram is quite good.

Thanks for the warm Welcome! i have all the options in that section on I've gone through turned them on & off trying multiple means of trying to get SMS working again. I, However, Have not checked his phone let me go get it real quick & see if I can figure it out. Also he is not on facebook at all so messenger is out but we have both tried Googles' Messages app & had the same issue, just as sporadically. That's why i feel at such a loss cause its only with him but it's been an issue on all the phones we've had since we've been together. Let me get his phone and I'll see what i can find there.

PiXiL LoVe

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
For note, the J2 is likely running 8.1, the same as mine. This isn't the first time I've seen issues with SMS over Metro, I saw at least one thread last week. There was also another Stylo 5 user complaining of the issue, as I recall. Is there any way to use another form of communication, like Messenger, maybe? Or contact Metro and have them refresh the service to both phones?

You know, I didn't think to have them refresh service to both phone simultaneously. That might be key. I'll get on the line with them and see if I can do that real quick. As well as checking his advanced SMS/MMS options. I shall Be back momentarily.

Thanks for the help so far yous guys. Ill update soon if it worked...or not. We shall See.

PiXiL LoVe

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
I've dealt with a lot of crazy network issues over the years, they can do strange things.

yes they definitely can. I, too, have had my fair share of dealings. No one in tech support used to know anything about windows phone before when it was windows mobile PDAs omg it was always a pain dealing with trying to figure out problems on those. Absolute chaos. loved my WinMo6.5 but jeez the issues with network errors esp. with at&t.

I am currently on the line with Metro trying trouble shooting options sending network refreshes & all the fun things. oy vey!

PiXiL LoVe

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
So any idea how to turn the Chat feature off on the J2? It says the type of message is chat but im not finding a way to send as a regular message.
downloading googl messages to see if the issues persists with a different default app

PiXiL LoVe

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
So Update time:
Google's Messages App is working to send SMS messages to my phone from his phone. My hypothesis is that the Chat Feature through the Samsung Galaxy J2's Stock Messaging App is causing an interference with sending regular outbound SMS text. Most probably because I am running, not only a different Android version, but also a completely different phone being an LG Stylo 5. However, it's not a Solution, more like a band-aid to the underlying issue. Hopefully it may be fixed with a minor update (doubtful) from Samsung but after an hour on tech support (fortunately the IT chick was awesome, surprisingly had coding knowledge unlike most I've spoken with, and we walked through every possible setting) neither of us could find a way to disable the Chat feature in the Samsung Messages app. So if anyone has any inkling on how to do this without rooting (perhaps a setting I/we completely missed or didn't know was the one needed) that would be greatly appreciated to know for reference!

I do appreciate the help I've gotten so far and if anyone has any ideas about changing the chat feature on the J2 so it sends regular SMS not a "chat" message. please do share!

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Try this:

Turn off Wifi calling on both phones
Turn off VoLTE on both phones (IF there is a setting to do so)

RCS usually requires one or both to be on.
This may not work but worth giving it a try.

Now try texting SMS with the stock text messaging apps.

PiXiL LoVe

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
Try this:

Turn off Wifi calling on both phones
Turn off VoLTE on both phones (IF there is a setting to do so)

RCS usually requires one or both to be on.
This may not work but worth giving it a try.

Now try texting SMS with the stock text messaging apps.

No options for VoLTE on either phone & neither of us use Wi-Fi calling feature, having unlimited everything (unless we're out in the sticks which is never the case).

Both phones' chat features were turned on in the respective default messaging apps (LG and Samsung)
I reset every network setting, had Metro reset Network Comm Signals to both phones, reset all base & advanced SMS/MMS/RCS setting I could find and I can only speculate as to what the underlying issue was. I stated my hypothesis in my last post. Thank you for responding tho. I was able to finally get a working band-aid fix to the issue by downloading Google Messages App to send a regular SMS not "chat" message & i now receive his SMS texts. I even checked to ensure my number had not previously been registered with iMessage through Apple just to double check any possible scenario from which this issue could have risen....only thing I can think of...my new updated LG Stylo 5 messaging app & his older Samsung Galaxy J2 stock app didn't like each others chat features & told us both to Eff off XD.

I never did find how to turn off his Chat features in his stock app though...there's no clear & concise way to turn it off. OODDDD!! but i can get his SMS now so I'm happy bout that.