Nexus 5 Crashed and constantly trying to reboot

yoshimandk

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello! Have to pop in Android Central once every few years with a stumper. I also have got this working.

• Older Nexus 5. Screen /other parts have been replaced a few times. (I have a great repair shop here in midtown NYC--lucky)
  • Never had the issue before. It was "charging slowly" on some bogus charger when it died and crashed.
  • Phone dies much more quickly (though I hear that may be due to searching for signal or something about reception here in NY).

Note: a few people suggested not having SIM card in. I noticed that the phone could not find SIM card when it booted yesterday. It has done that before, but rarely. I think there may be some connection. Regardless, the advice given on YouTube to smack the power area hard against an object (like your hand) or the alterative to tap the power button really fast 'til it starts up worked--sort of.

When both methods failed me, I combined them and knocked the power button firmly quickly against the stone kitchen countertop. I kept doing this as it got further into the boot process, quickly, without smashing the phone either.

Now to see how it goes after a charge, with the SIM in. :cool: Sounds like its time for a backup, incase this is hardware related.

DID: Use laptop cord: the sound from the laptop that a device was connecting let me know when things were working.
DID: Let it charge. Despite the constant rebooting, I think it may have charged in that period to 30%
DID NOT: Get to try the magnet move.

Unlocked, not-rooted device

Gerrr

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
HEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found this post and was amazed many of you guys have same issues i did@!!!!

TAKE APART THE PHONE (if no warranty on it) AND KICK OFF REMOVE THE POWER BUTTON OUT!
see this on utube: How to Easily Fix a Defective Power Switch/Button (Boot Loop/No Boot) on the Samsung Galaxy S4

I was hitting messing power button before, and it was helping for a day or so,
then it stopped working - so i removed the power button. problem is how to turn it on... (will buy a replacement button later) Now I will put in a screwdriver into the slot to power it on.,....

THAT WAS THE POWER BUTTON ISSUES -- NOT THE APPs / viruses.

Stefano Azzone

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
I experienced the same problem last night but I thought my power button may have damaged. I pressed it hard 2 3 times now it works fine. But today I unrooted and relocked my nexus 5 so that if any problem comes I can send it back to company.
Thanks a lot, this was very useful, I was able to fix my sister's phone just by pressing the power key hard some times.

Rodolfo Moreira

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Connecting the device via USB to my PC was the only way i could get it to go "RECOVERY MODE" after 2 attempts. The other options never got me anywhere... always rebooting and failing....and wasnt able to go to recovery mode.

Thanks for the info!

lastwomanstanding

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I FOUND THE PROBLEM! I took my phone to a repair shop and they replaced the power module. It fixed the problem but cost me $75. My Nexus 5 was constantly rebooting and would never actually turn on fully. Luckily, I bought the phone used and had it for 2 years before any problems.

subbup007

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Same happening with my Nexus 5. It keeps rebooting from from "Google" display and sometimes go until it shows four colored dots but then would restart again. I was successful in reaching the factory reset page but as soon as I press vol down twice and green "Start" turns to red "Restart Bootloader" it restarts again with the same sequence showing up the "Google" screen.

I am okay erasing the data and do factory reset but it wont let me do anything. Please advise if there is any other way to factory reset.

Thanks,
Subodh

raduolivas

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Ok i got my phone back after reading all of this tips! the weid resolution i grap was the one removing tha back cover and puting it back. dont know how come this works.
anyways.. Guys, if some one interested on Transform the nexus 5 into a Very Power machine let me know. Im having good time on Kali Nethunter.

marsf_78

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! As suggested by TraderGary, hold the power button to force it into a reboot and see if that works. If not, then get into recovery and factory reset:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3501115?hl=en

You'll lose all your data, but should get you booted. If not, then you'll have to consider installing the factory image, which is a little more work but not difficult if you take the time to read the process.

A little dated post but o got trouble with my Nexus.

Tried that but i dont get the red android after the volume down up and power.

Keeps reebooting on its own, any other way to try and save my device?

pheros

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
This just started happening to me tonight. Nexus 5X would cycle through the 'Google' screen, never making it to the 4 dots. I've had the phone for almost 2 years, so I suppose it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

I tried the factory reset option, but it would just power-cycle out and not do a reset.

It looks like the 'mash the power button' solution suggested above seems to have worked, for the moment at least. One odd item: both times the phone entered into the infinite boot cycle for me I was using the Gmail app. Once to send a message, which caused the phone to freeze and forced me to do a hard reboot; and the next time (after it came back up) when I opened the gmail app which caused a hard crash and the phone auto-reset. Maybe just coincidence, or might be a software issue that the power-button smash somehow cleared. I dunno, but it seems like it might be worth mentioning.

pheros

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
scratch that. Went to bed after last post, and the phone was stable all night. When I woke up, used it to check email and all was well, but when I opened a news app, it crashed to a black screen, and is now freezing on boot.

Definitely seems like a software or memory allocation issue given all of my crashes were the moment I tried to open an app or do something, and was not interacting at all with the power button. Also, just before it crashed it looks like a number of apps auto-updated (e.g. Google started pushing weather notifications at me though I had never turned them on before). I checked while it was working last night and Android is 7.1.2 and updated a month ago, so it's not an OS update, which makes me suspect a memory issue.

pheros

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
It's looking more and more like a memory usage issue. Phone is currently running at 1.5 GB out of 1.8 GB, with Android OS and System taking 900 MB immediately after reboot. Just tried to get in touch with Nexus tech support, and the process of receiving the phone call crashed the phone. Must be mandatory obsolescence I suppose.

pheros

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
For anyone else getting the same problem who finds this post, it appears from Google Nexus' twitter feed that a number of 5X users all had the same problem in the last 12 hours. So, it sounds a lot like a SW patch gone bad. Again, doesn't appear to the be OS as mine was still claiming to be from a month ago, but something else.

For those keeping score at home, my phone has ceased boot-looping and is now entirely bricked. I've plugged it in, so I don't think it's a power issue.

Ricks_76

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
For anyone else getting the same problem who finds this post, it appears from Google Nexus' twitter feed that a number of 5X users all had the same problem in the last 12 hours. So, it sounds a lot like a SW patch gone bad. Again, doesn't appear to the be OS as mine was still claiming to be from a month ago, but something else.

For those keeping score at home, my phone has ceased boot-looping and is now entirely bricked. I've plugged it in, so I don't think it's a power issue.

Hi pheros.

I've this same error since I updated to Android 8 Oreo yesterday .
My Nexus 5X freezes and rebooted and it don't pass the Google screen.

Any ideas to would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Jason Imamura

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi workpheros.

I've this same error since I updated to Android 8 Oreo yesterday .
My Nexus 5X freezes and rebooted and it don't pass the Google screen.

Any ideas to would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Mine started do this, this morning 9/27/17. Even a factory reset did not work. Thankfully I still have my galaxy s6 until this issue is fixed.

EsharaHD

Feb 15, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! As suggested by TraderGary, hold the power button to force it into a reboot and see if that works. If not, then get into recovery and factory reset:

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3501115?hl=en

You'll lose all your data, but should get you booted. If not, then you'll have to consider installing the factory image, which is a little more work but not difficult if you take the time to read the process.

i know this is years after this was posted, but thank you so much. i had no idea what was happening with my phone. you are a lifesaver! thank you so much man!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamthechuckster