Nexus 5: Suggested reboot interval

zatarregaza

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
When I had my Tmobile Galaxy S3, I would get messages if my device hadn't been rebooted within the last 7 days. It was just a suggestion, but it explained that frequent reboots were recommended to fix issues here and there. As for my phone if I didn't restart it in 7 days, I definitely noticed problems cropping up.

I am currently at 700+ hours of uptime on my Nexus 5. I am surprised at how few problems I am having. The only one I really know of is a problem with GPS sticking. I visited Little Rock over the weekend and for some reason my apps that check location were still thinking I was there. I couldn't even get Maps to find me. I cleared the cache for Maps and its back to normal now.

Anyway, I was just wondering how often everyone reboots their phones to fix issues here and there. I come from the Unix/Linux world and don't care much for having to reboot/restart my phone to fix issues that could probably be fixed by better app development or QA.

Last edited by a moderator:

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Suggested reboot interval

Anyway, I was just wondering how often everyone reboots their phones to fix issues here and there

I have never rebooted my Nexus 5 yet. But I have only had it a few weeks, too :)
There is no need to reboot unless there is some problem

I come from the Unix/Linux world and don't care much for having to reboot/restart

As do I. My uptimes are typically measured in months and sometimes years. We Linuxen people are spoiled.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I agree--I don't reboot unless there's something funky going on (which is very rare if at all with my Nexus 5). It's nice that the N5 boots up so quickly, though, so reboots aren't as tedious as they used to be with my Razr Maxx.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am still in the habit of once a month clearing cache on my devices so no matter what after 30 days, all my devices get rebooted.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

When I had my Tmobile Galaxy S3, I would get messages if my device hadn't been rebooted within the last 7 days. It was just a suggestion, but it explained that frequent reboots were recommended to fix issues here and there.

That reboot message comes from the T-Mobile app. I used the app on my Nexus 4 & then Nexus 5 when I was on T-Mobile, but I turned the message off.

Speaking of uptime, I got over 1,100 hours on my Nexus 4, and over 1,000 on my Nexus 5.

Zaini Art

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

I rebooted mine everyday with auto On/Off in Android system settings. When I sleep my Android sleep too ha.

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I have no regular schedule when it comes to rebooting my device. As mentioned above, it might be best to do so if you start having issues. Sometimes I'll just do it just to reboot if I don't recall doing so for some time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I advocate rebooting at least a few times a week. Also reboot my Ubuntu server at least once a quarter(3 months).

Posted via Serenity

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I do it at least twice a week. In my opinion not doing so invites trouble. Even on perfect hardware running perfect software in a perfect world, mistakes happen and electrons get 'shuffled' around in the wrong order occasionally (sorry for the hardware geeks out there - trying to make things simple ;)). Obviously we don't live in a perfect world and hardware/firmware developers have safeties and counter measures for this, but I always like to give it a fresh start twice a week. Makes me feel better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
"As needed" is the best advice. It doesn't hurt, but usually it's mostly helpful when there's a runaway service or something isn't working right.

Or you're doing something that requires a reboot.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy Nexus seems happiest if it gets a reboot every 2-3 days. Once a week I'll boot into recovery and clear the cache. Once a month I'll clear dalvic and cache. It's the only way to keep this old beast stable.

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Are reboots needed on all N5 phones with Sprint service? Seems like fallback doesn't want to easily change back to LTE from 3G in the case of low service signal or phone calls, which causes battery drain. Reboots fix it for now, but I'm guessing an update will roll out at some point.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Are reboots needed on all N5 phones with Sprint service? Seems like fallback doesn't want to easily change back to LTE from 3G in the case of low service signal or phone calls, which causes battery drain. Reboots fix it for now, but I'm guessing an update will roll out at some point.

I have had a hard time with the handoff from 3G to 4G on both my devices. Placing the device in Airplane Mode for about 15 seconds helps. and it isn't a reboot.

Bront

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had that issue but I rarely use 4G.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have had a hard time with the handoff from 3G to 4G on both my devices. Placing the device in Airplane Mode for about 15 seconds helps. and it isn't a reboot.

It shouldn't need to be in airplane mode so long. Quickly tap airplane mode on and off which resets the radio.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thompson