Nexus 7: Loose Micro-USB port!

Bill League

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Loose Micro-USB port!

Loose is right! By the time I sent mine in for RMA the torque needed to just get a blink connection was almost at a level to damage the device. However don't depend on ASUS repair to find it any time soon My first RMA they sent back in just over a week! I was super happy... til I opened and tried the unit which hadn't even been looked at! A call to ASUS confirmed there had been a "mix up" and they had done a revolving door on the unit. Didn't cost more than gas to re-ship as they gave me a fedex auth for the return return included taped to the unit my explanation that the unit had a loose micro USB connector , that was done on 1/31/13 ASUS signed for the unit on 02/04/13 and still has the unit 02/20/13, conversation with ASUS online chat support last night a Daniel there told me that thus far the tech has been unable to find a fault with the unit. which is what the status of the unit has been showing on the RMA checker since the 6th when they updated it's status online. Now if ASUS still has a tech working on this unit after all this time... take my advice and sell your ASUS Stock! Complete insanity that the Nexus 7 which costs ASUS $152 to produce and has already cost them one Fedex shipment, is according to ASUS still costing ASUS Tech time each day for over 2 weeks???? Unit was shipped to Texas which has a Minimum wage of $7.25.....
Just to be safe however when I purchased the unit from J&R I also bought their 2 year support which I called before contacting ASUS, last night I called J&R Sales to find out if they could handle this situation and received a call from J&R Support that they would be in contact with ASUS and give me a call back today. I'm not expecting this to take much longer, as I mentioned to J&R that if the unit was that messed up I would be happy with a store credit against one of the $319 IPad Mini's *LOL*

Diego Nova

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my Nexus 7. Over the last few weeks, the charging port has become loose/faulty. To get it to charge now, I have to apply a light bit of downwards pressure (when the face is up) to get it to charge. This is a pain because now when I charge, I have to put weight on the cable to connect it. Also, I think this is related, I'm having trouble connecting to my computer. Even when it shows it's charging, it won't connect as a USB device anymore and might come up with an error.

Does anyone else have these problems and do they have a fix?

BTW, I can feel a bit of play with my port but it doesn't look particularly bent or out of shape...

Sent from my Nexus 7 :)

Hi
I have the same problem, and I know it's not the cable, I have tried a lot of cables and I have came to the conclusion that it's something in the mini USB port inside the tablet.
I won't take the risk to open it and check the screws by myself, but I plan to take it to warranty to see if the fix it.
Moreover, I bought 2 Nexus 7, one for me and one for my girlfriend, and they both were fine for the first month, and they started to develop the issue at the same time, so I guess it has to do with the material of the mini USB port itself... like it's not hard enough and after the first month of use, when you have probably used the device while it's plugged-in causing small movements to the cable which apply small forces to the walls of the port, making it to start distorting slowly over time and become loose... I cannot see any gross bends or distortion in it, and neither me nor my girlfriend have dropped the unit, but I feel it's loose, when right after the unboxing, it was not...

Had any of you find a way to repair this?

Thanks!

haflash

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

I have also experienced the loose port issue. I suspect my kid also knocked it to the floor while it was charging. Tried two stock cables, and other cables, none of them worked. The only way to charge my device is by TIGHTLY back bending the cable underneath the unit, and even then, the charge would occasionally be lost. I would have to monitor it for several minutes without touching it. What a PITA Asus! An IT colleague checked the port and said it looked bent. So, using a screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit, I *very gently* and *incrementally* worked the port tab to be positioned in the center of the port. I was also very careful about not bending port case/sides as I did this, FYI. After each manipulation, I tried the cable. Once I got it centered again, it would still not charge. BUT! I jiggled the cable side to side a little and voila. Charging like a champ. I may need to do a little more tweaking as certain cables I have are still a little loose, but at least I have one now that has a relatively snug fit and is successfully charging. This was easy to do, I suggest it to anyone having this issue.

Matt Butcher

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Mine stopped charging today--

I thought it was loose cord--was manipulating it in place to get the charger to connect and now it won't do it at all.

It is NOT the cord, because I have switched three cords out and my phone charges with the same cords.

I need to fix this before I get to zero--what can I do?

Thanks!
Matt

Matt Butcher

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

Mine was the same way--a kind of tight back bend on the cable to get it to go but now it won't even do that. I am scared to work it too much.

laoxinat

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site

It should be warranted for 1 year after purchase, with the exception of the cable and charger. I have heard of ASUS replacing chargers, though it does not appear that this issue is charger-related.

rmmyyz

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

From what I know -- if you purchased from Google Play directly then you can contact them. If you purchased it from a brick and mortar store (Staples, Best Buy, etc) then you need to contact ASUS directly and start an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) process to send your unit back to them for repair. Their standard warranty is for 1 year.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys, I cracked my screen the other day so now my N7 is pretty much dead. I hope all of you sort out your charging issues!

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

John Stewart1

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Just received my N7 32G with same issue back from repair... it took a month and they freaking didn't FIX the issue... ??? I just finished an on line chat with ASUS C.S. and they won't answer the question as to "WHAT THEY FIXED"?? It's a loose USB port connection as I suspected, and I sent it to them dead with no charge.. -so how did "they" charge it up?? I have no clue, as the online chat guy I was talking to would not answer the question. They sent the thing back saying it's been "repaired" with a part number and everything. But as soon as I plug it in.. -no charging, and I can plainly see the port is still exactly as I sent it. -Loose. -Why the **** they didn't fix it the first time I don't know.. But now I have to go through packaging and paying for mail all over again and wait another month...!! The only reason I bought this in the first place because it was getting good reviews 3 months ago, and IPAD mini's were impossible to find.. Big Mistake... should have bought a full IPAD or waited for a mini.

If anyone out there is considering the nexus 7, ---Buy the retailers warranty for SURE! If I had just done that with FutureShop I would not be going through this crap.

Kerami Roberts

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site

Mine seems to be having the same problem... But I am really not sure.

This is an issue as the very nice lady has just explained that I will have to pay for a new device... Then receive the new device, send mine back and wait to see if they can confirm its broken. If it is broken they will give back the second lot of money... But if it isn't broken they keep the money AND my original device meaning I have one device I will have paid twice for....

How can I be expected to have the technical ability to diagnose the issue? I am 80% sure its the device's charging port.... But not sure enough to gamble ?160 on...

Very sad, had been brilliant product and customer service up until this point

roninlb

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Same thing happened to me. Called Google, sent it back to them and got a new one. Didn't have the tablet for about 3 days. Not a problem.

bldrgn2043

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

The port in mine is loose as well, but thats only because I have been using it alot over the last few months. I know they are kind of hard to come by still, but if you can get your hands on a dock DO IT! The dock works with the oem charger and cable. I haven't tried it with anything other than the oem cable, but I'm sure any micro usb cable will work. Its also nice to have for when the headphone jack loosens up and you lose the usability of your left or right speaker when you try and watch a movie.

Bailey Pearce

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Is the guy online or local to you because i have the same problem with the micro usb port. and when it tried to fix it a smashed the screen

rstaylor

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I had this same problem and it was definitely the cable. I switched to another that I use with my phone and is snapped in nice and firm. Now I am looking at buying a new USB charging cable.

Patrick Poland Jr

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site

Every device with the micro USB port has this issue eventually... It's a faulty design, no matter how much money you spend-- your still getting a port and cable that will fail. Some last longer than others, but they all share the same fate in the end, lose, then it doesn't charge. The cable can be replaced so many times before the port actually goes. The people behind this did this absolutely on purpose so you would have to replace your charger cord 3 times a week ($$$) and replace your android device once a month ($$$). Even if you were to keep it in the sealed box, the port goes bad (dead serious) I'm not sure how hard it would be to make a phone or tablet with a mini USB vs the micro... The mini USB was fine, not too big... Endured everyday use without having to replace the wire or re-solder port every day... I hope samsung motorola and htc move away from this current garbage, and design something on the lines of the iphone, as I would rather be able to but a charger once a year instead of once a day, the sick thing is... I'm an android fan... This is the 6th device since micro USB on android and all 6 devices had port issues... Today I just broke another on the droid razor x... What a surprise? Nope not shocked at all so I'm boycotting android since they claim to be all open source; I'm demanding we change the source of power and syncing for good. I'll buy apple until they move away from USB micro. It's so sad... I spent thousands of dollars on these products once advocating all of them... Until I used my friend's 3 year old iPhone 4.. Still works like the day she got it, no charger issues (other than replacing the wire once because the end frayed off) but no having to fiddle with it to make it charge was sooooooo nice.. It snaps in there and does not come out by looking at it, designed by people, instead of apes... I have farted out better ideas than USB micro which is technically just a giant step backward for mankind. It has lasted so long too!?!?:mad:

peptrade

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

Just started to have the same problem with my Nexus 7. It has never been dropped or even taken out of the house. It is definitely the port as charger works fine with my note II. Then to add insult to injury Google play have the cheek to say that the port is not covered by the warranty which I am currently disputing. Has anyone else had similar issues with Google Play customer support.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe