Nexus 7: Loose Micro-USB port!

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Loose Micro-USB port!

I recently started having the same problem of not charging. Tried different cables, but no luck. So I sacrificed a USB cable by cutting the micro end off and just taping the stripped wires to the POGO pins (black to top pin, red to bottom pin). Not the nicest fix, but will suffice until I get my Nexus Dock in.

Maybe this homemade idea should be refined a bit, I don't know, like a strap-on, elastic mount, travel-size charging block..?
Embed pins in an epoxy small block?
What would be good for contact pins?

tkfarley

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem with my 2013 Nexus 7 - tried different cables/chargers, etc...... nothing.
Got a Q1 wireless charger - works fine....

potlapalli

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
I have faced loose charging/connection problem, and I had to hold it down with pressure to push the plug downwards to make it charge.
I think either my kids tried to push a charger plug in wrong side or it fell down, but the net result was the pins inside the nexus port is slightly leaning towards back side of nexus and also the back cover itself near the port has came out of the latching to the tablet bottom side.

Note:
(1) Do it at our risk.
(2) Apply small pressures and plan to do it multiple times rather trying to do all at once.
(3) Do not put screw driver or any hard item inside the power port metal frame as you may damage the pins.
Use a screw driver and slightly put in between back cover and top of power port (top of metal frame covering the pins). Gently start pressing down little using your finger. Test now if cable plug fits snugly and test it is charging. Do this several times with small increments at a time. Once completed, I have noticed that not only charger plug stays stable in the port and loose connection gone, back cover also now latches to the tablet bottom side frame without a gap.

nexus_power_port_1.jpg
nexus_power_port_2.jpg
nexus_power_port_3.jpg

claude fra

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Loose Micro-USB port!

I bought a new nexus 7 2013 model today brought it home unbox it and after reading the getting started manual which said to charge the tablet as soon as possible. I plugged it in and it would not charge. read a few forums and tried using a usb cable I charge my cell phone which works reliably but still no luck. As it is a new unit under warranty I have not opened it up as suggested by some posters. So I rang the seller who said to bring back to him and they would look at it and either repair or replace it.

catfive

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks much for this info. Unlike many people, I've had my N7 for two years and just began having trouble. Didn't drop it, didn't pull the cord or any of that stuff. Never had to replace the battery. The connection just seems to be loose. Used your suggestion and a tiny screwdriver to bend the port slightly. It fully charged for the first time in a week.

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had charging problems with mine. I ordered a new USB/Headphone part for it off eBay and replaced it last week. It was pretty easy and there are videos online. Changes great now.

Terea Kirtley

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have a problem with my Nexus 7. Over the last few weeks, the charging port has become loose/faulty. To get it to charge now, I have to apply a light bit of downwards pressure (when the face is up) to get it to charge. This is a pain because now when I charge, I have to put weight on the cable to connect it. Also, I think this is related, I'm having trouble connecting to my computer. Even when it shows it's charging, it won't connect as a USB device anymore and might come up with an error.

Does anyone else have these problems and do they have a fix?

BTW, I can feel a bit of play with my port but it doesn't look particularly bent or out of shape...

Sent from my Nexus 7 :)

Terea Kirtley

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I know my post is two years late for you.But my port went loose first.Then the charge ,when it did charge didn't last.Suddenly when I unplugged it one day.It went blank.could never turn on again,or insert charger again.and I have several chargers.So I figure they come with faulty charging ports.My problem is ...where and how do I fix it without costing more then a new one? can't find anyone in el Paso Texas that does this.Even geek squad said they had no clue :( Missing my tablet.

Jessie Cauley

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I have had the same problem for some time. It is definitely with the port. It seems it has come loose. I can still charge by bending the cable backwards under the tablet and pulling it tight. I also tried the screwdriver trick posted by another poster and it also helped a little bit. I get the feeling the port is faulty on the 7. Too bad because I really love my tablet.

giusti825

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
My port got loose after a drop with the cable plugged in....

I could look at the port and tell the metal had bent in a way that made keeping a wire in a pain. But it would still charge if I held it or left it in certain positions....

Eventually I got fed up, opened up the back, disconnected the battery and manually bent the port back into shape with my fingernails.

I reconnected the battery and its been charging and working perfectly ever since...

Hope this helps!!!

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine has the wobs and is upside down. I have no idea but some cables work while others dont but work on my moto x. go figure.

catfive

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I had charging problems with mine. I ordered a new USB/Headphone part for it off eBay and replaced it last week. It was pretty easy and there are videos online. Changes great now.

The bend-port-with-screwdriver solution above worked great for me for about a month. Finally ordered a USB/headphone part like you did, except from Amazon. Hardest part of installation was the tiny screws. Charges like new. However, I don't have sound when playing videos. Thought I forgot to plug speakers back in after replacing port, but that isn't the problem. Did you have speaker issues after replacing your part? Headphones have sound after jiggling their plug. If the new headphone jack is bad, how would that cause the speakers not to work? Any ideas?

Last edited:

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
The bend-port-with-screwdriver solution above worked great for me for about a month. Finally ordered a USB/headphone part like you did, except from Amazon. Hardest part of installation was the tiny screws. Charges like new. However, I don't have sound when playing videos. Thought I forgot to plug speakers back in after replacing port, but that isn't the problem. Did you have speaker issues after replacing your part? Headphones have sound after jiggling their plug. If the new headphone jack is bad, how would that cause the speakers not to work? Any ideas?

Amazon link for the part + supplier?

Romer Giles

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I've just started having the same problem---tried 5 different USB-to-micro cables (3 of them brand new) with little to no success besides the "bend it like Beckham" method --- will try to recenter the port once (or if) I can get it charged up to at least 90% (right now, I have a pen under the USB end of my Nexus 7, seems to be charging), but hope your fix gives me a more "mobile" solution - I mean really, a tablet that only charges when it's standing still? Kind of defeats the purpose of a tablet in the first place !

Romer Giles

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the photos, just tried it, mine is charging normally again---only took about 2 min., now Ijust have to test it with my external battery, but that shouldn't be an issue now that the port is "fixed"
:D

Erik Berndt

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
This post is pretty old but my tablet just stopped charging (N7, of course) and it appears that the port is actually damaging the cords I use. It broke 3 cords (2 backups and my usual one) and it used to just require pressure, but now it's just plain up refusing to charge. I've only had it for a few months and it has non-backupable (or whatever) games on it. What's kinda sucky about this is that I'm a mobile gaming addict and this broke my login streak on some games... whatever, anyways I need help! I can't use my Nexus and I'd rather not have to replace it.

Santulis

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Yes it could be the charge cable but if you have tried several and none work well, it is probably the port. This seems to be a common problem with the Nexus 7. I replaced my port once and after about a year it started failing again. (really something the manufacturer should address). I suspect that any stress on the chord while it is plugged in has a tendency to loosen the port. Example, if you pick it up while charging and the chord pulls or snags on something, the port is delicate enough that it separates slightly.

Replacement is not a simple task and you can watch videos on line as to the process but there are many layers to go through to replace. I preferred to have a professional put one in but a place that does repairs is unlikely to have an extra port sitting around and will charge you to reorder one. If you can find a tech at a decent price, it may be worth while replacing but the cost can get close to a new Nexus. I am seriously considering scapping mine for another device.

David Handy

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I've had the same problem with two of the same tablets. Both the Nexus 7, Asus 7.
Mine also had to have pressure on one side of the plug to make a connection.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d