Nexus 7 tips

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't be afraid to disable some of the things that you are not interested in such as currents and that news and current events thing. I also keep Google Now off most of time. Google now is not using the search window at the top of the screen with the microphone, it won't affect that at all and searching. Google now is what you get she you swipe up from the bottom of the screen that shows you nearby events/restaurants and traffic. I don't need anything it shows me anyways because anything I want to know about coming up, I already know about like concerts.

Just don't be afraid to use it and make it yours. Add whatever apps you want and customize it whatever ways you want. The N7 has enough power and RAM to keep up with most things. I've not seen mine slow down yet and I've owned it two months now. I'm not concerned with it slowing down whatsoever.

And most of all, you have an Android device not locked down to restraints that Apple has with their devices. You can do what you want with it and run any apps you want. I have one running from my job that I use everyday that allows me to not be tied to the computer. They couldn't get Apple to approve it for iPhone/iPad use.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've not experienced my N7 getting bogged down after nine months of use, like a PC after a few years of use, where it seems to inexplicable slow to a crawl. Perhaps if I give it time it will, but for now it hasn't happened.

However, it does get slow at times for reasons I do understand, but hopefully will be improved upon in the next gen N7.

Start up time from power off is extremely slow. Even after it gets to the home screen, it takes a few minutes to settle down and be fully responsive. This is because I have a ton of apps fighting for precious resources to start their processes and get connected to the internet. Once everything has settled in it runs smoothly, until...

My N7 bogs down when there is a heavy load on WiFi. If something is downloading in the background, or a big web page is loading, or video is streaming (depending on the source), the N7 will often struggle to respond to touch and performing other activities. I find this to be especially true while doing app updates and installs. Even after it's finished the downloads and installations, the N7 is very slow for another minute or two, as it is perhaps updating databases, etc.

I also find that it doesn't handle streaming video and using a Bluetooth headset at the same time, as the video stream sputters quite a bit. Disconnecting Bluetooth resolves the problem, as it frees up WiFi resources.

So, to resolve the above issues, do a couple things. First, don't install any additional apps on your N7, allowing start up times to remain acceptable. Second, don't use WiFi. This will keep the WiFi activity from hogging all the resources and processing power of the N7 so that it doesn't slow to a crawl. Also, change its oil and air filter on a regular basis.

Either that, or use your N7 like a normal person and understand its limitations. And hope for improvements in this area with the next gen N7 this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vic250wolf