No more 2-week early upgrade on Sprint

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
If you called back 5 more times you'd get 5 more answers. I deal with account services daily.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I've already had 5 different answers for this same issue..I'm trying to figure out about my wife's line...

I already upgraded my line last week to buy the SGS3..and I'm loving it. Bad part of that is ==== so is SHE!! So now, I'm thinking that for her birthday (August 11) I'll buy her the SGS3 and surprise her with it...though I can't really surprise her without turning off her phone she already has.
At any rate, NO ONE can tell me IF OR WHEN the "Upgrade Now" offer will decrease from the current $100 for her line to the $50 pricetag that I paid for my upgrade. They tell me the upgrade is coming due November 1 and that it will come down, but NOBODY can tell me when. I guess I'll just keep calling and asking them to check the line. As of today, she's 98 days away from upgrade...so I guess I'll check again at 75 and see where it is.

All of this would be a NON-ISSUE if Sprint had given us some sort of option when THEY BRICKED our 3 Optimus S phones last September/October. Instead, they had an issue that dragged on for 4 weeks without a resolution, and people with bricked phones were forced to either 1)root them and roll back, or 2)deal with a broke phone, or 3)Sprint said I could buy a "pre-owned device", NONE OF WHICH were Android phones.
So in the past year, I've been a little more than frustrated with being forced to keep a phone that was bricked by the Gingerbread update...then I was forced to either do without a phone for XX amount of time, to be determined by Sprint, or root it and install a custom ROM...I chose the latter of the two. Rooted and custom-ROM'd mine and my wife's Optimii so that we could AT LEAST have working phones.

Her phone is now starting to have issues, like random freezing, notifications not clearing, missing texts/calls...no VM notice for days after receiving a VM message...and she's getting frustrated with it...so I can't make her wait much longer on getting a phone.
I would understand someone saying that by wanting a phone prior to the upgrade time is entitlement if they had a perfectly good phone that had no issues at all...but thanks to something I had no control over, I received a software upgrade that bricked my phone though...and have been forced to keep that phone when it didn't work for a month (unless you rooted it and installed your own ROM)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder why they don't have a period of time set, like 2 month early upgrade is 50 bucks or something...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I'm sure it's based on several factors that vary per account.

They probably factor in how many phones on your plan, what plan you have, how long you've had that plan, how long you've been a customer, etc.

It's a perk for customers so the terms aren't cut and dried.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have 5 lines and this is the one and only line I upgraded with early upgrade program and they took my phone. I complained so much that instead of giving me 75 dollars for the phone they gave me 100 to ease my pain of losing my perfectly like new evo 3d. So basically I paid 50 bucks for early upgrade program but got 100 back for my evo 3d.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My gripe is that i want to upgrade my wife's LG Optimus S so that she doesn't have a phone that has issues like she's having right now. I'm not sure if there's a bug in the software (or the fact that she's dropped it XX amount of times), but her phone is running the exact same CM7.2 that my Optimus was running when I turned it off last week, and side by side those two phones would act totally different. Mine would last for days without a reboot...hers would random reboot almost daily - still does. Mine would run apps normally...hers freezes up on simple stuff, like words w/friends and Fbook. Mine cleared notifications like it supposed to. Hers gets stuck with the clear button not working on the notification screen...

So I'm not sure if it's her hardware causing problems (she has the purple opti..i had the black)...or what..but should be the same...

I called Sprint yesterday, and it was 98 days away from upgrade time for her. Still, the cost is $100 right now, plus the cost of the phone. My upgrade was 2 weeks away (August 1) when I did it, and i paid $50. So she's chompin at the bit to get a new phone since her phone barely works right.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
My gripe is that i want to upgrade my wife's LG Optimus S so that she doesn't have a phone that has issues like she's having right now. I'm not sure if there's a bug in the software (or the fact that she's dropped it XX amount of times), but her phone is running the exact same CM7.2 that my Optimus was running when I turned it off last week, and side by side those two phones would act totally different. Mine would last for days without a reboot...hers would random reboot almost daily - still does. Mine would run apps normally...hers freezes up on simple stuff, like words w/friends and Fbook. Mine cleared notifications like it supposed to. Hers gets stuck with the clear button not working on the notification screen...

So I'm not sure if it's her hardware causing problems (she has the purple opti..i had the black)...or what..but should be the same...

I called Sprint yesterday, and it was 98 days away from upgrade time for her. Still, the cost is $100 right now, plus the cost of the phone. My upgrade was 2 weeks away (August 1) when I did it, and i paid $50. So she's chompin at the bit to get a new phone since her phone barely works right.

There are so many options you have to resolve this issue. Not just a buyout. And how would it be sprints fault that she's dropped her phone x amount of times? If that's why it runs funny its her fault.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I like how someone completely ignores the fact that we were forced to deal with THREE bricked Optimus S phones last year, 2 of which didn't work right for a solid MONTH because SPRINT decided to send out an update to the OS which made the phones unusable...no, what's important here is that she dropped it? Nice one, I've heard of Apple fanbodys, but Sprint fanboys?

I pay well over $200 a month, and I didn't get a break on that just because the phones took the update and didn't function properly. NOR did Sprint offer to pay for my gas to drive AN HOUR to the nearest Sprint store so they could "look at it"...and they didn't offer to mail me a replacement, I HAD to either go into the store, or deal with it. ...Oh wait, I forgot...I could've bought a "pre-owned" phone, which the best of those was some Blackberry that I never would've got with 2 year upgrade, mustless with discount for being pre-owned..
My only option was to look at paying full-price for a phone because nothing could be done to my upgrade date back in October 2011, I was only 12 months, 10 months, and 9 months into my most recent upgrades.

Nope..definitely what's important here is that she has dropped it.

So there's so many options available. Guess we can't go too far into that,

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I like how someone completely ignores the fact that we were forced to deal with THREE bricked Optimus S phones last year, 2 of which didn't work right for a solid MONTH because SPRINT decided to send out an update to the OS which made the phones unusable...no, what's important here is that she dropped it? Nice one, I've heard of Apple fanbodys, but Sprint fanboys?

I pay well over $200 a month, and I didn't get a break on that just because the phones took the update and didn't function properly. NOR did Sprint offer to pay for my gas to drive AN HOUR to the nearest Sprint store so they could "look at it"...and they didn't offer to mail me a replacement, I HAD to either go into the store, or deal with it. ...Oh wait, I forgot...I could've bought a "pre-owned" phone, which the best of those was some Blackberry that I never would've got with 2 year upgrade, mustless with discount for being pre-owned..
My only option was to look at paying full-price for a phone because nothing could be done to my upgrade date back in October 2011, I was only 12 months, 10 months, and 9 months into my most recent upgrades.

Nope..definitely what's important here is that she has dropped it.

So there's so many options available. Guess we can't go too far into that,

For 1, you don't have to do updates. I have one on my EVO right now that I haven't done. Mostly because I can't. I am rooted. So that is on you. For 2, you could easily buy a phone off of craigslist, here or ebay and use that for a couple of months. If you don't want to deal with what you are going thru then switch carriers. It really is that simple. If sprint isn't working for you then switch to a company that will work for you. Thirdly, get a loaner phone. That is a good option since it is only for a couple of months. Or you could pay the buyout fee. There is 4 options for you. I have more but those are the easiest ones.

Sprint fanboy? Please I have a phone on each of the four major carriers. I just hate people who piss and moan instead of doing something to fix their problem. Insead they want someone else to fix their problems.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
For 1, you don't have to do updates. I have one on my EVO right now that I haven't done. Mostly because I can't. I am rooted. So that is on you. For 2, you could easily buy a phone off of craigslist, here or ebay and use that for a couple of months. If you don't want to deal with what you are going thru then switch carriers. It really is that simple. If sprint isn't working for you then switch to a company that will work for you. Thirdly, get a loaner phone. That is a good option since it is only for a couple of months. Or you could pay the buyout fee. There is 4 options for you. I have more but those are the easiest ones.

Sprint fanboy? Please I have a phone on each of the four major carriers. I just hate people who piss and moan instead of doing something to fix their problem. Insead they want someone else to fix their problems.

For 1) I had no clue about updates bricking a phone. (Member since 1-20-2011). I only had one android phone, before this Samsung Galaxy S3 (EVER), and that was the Optimus S. How the hell was I supposed to know they would send out an update that bricked the phone? Since it was my first android device and prior to that I was on dumbphones, I had no experience (which as you have pointed out OH SO WELL is my fault)...but when mine and my wife's job both took a plunge with the economy and we were both laid off for 2 years, phones weren't on the top of our list from 2009 until 2011) Again, that's our fault, if only we had the superior intelligence like some people do, we would've known, and hence been able to buy expensive smartphones so we could've learned that an update could brick that expensive smartphone sooner...but alas, I digress...

2)I could easily buy the phone off of craigslist. So, it was my fault that Sprint sent an update to someone who had 3 of the same phone, and who didn't have a clue about Android being able to brick like that. And we weren't talking about a couple of months (Since I said it was last October when the update came out, and I'm just now eligible to buyout my upgrade for $50, that means that it's been 12 months ago - or very close to it.) So we're talking about a couple or 12 months that I would have to make yet another cheap phone last.

Switch carriers...wow. I have Sprint for a reason, and if I wanted to switch carriers, I would've done that and this would be a non-issue. A loaner..that's epic too, since I'm pretty sure I stated that the CLOSEST Sprint store is a few minutes over an hour away, in another county...not like I can run up the road and be there in 10 mins. Counting on one hand the times I've been up even NEAR that store this year makes 3...the 3rd time was last week when I went to get my SGS3.

Really, thanks for those eye-opening suggestions.
But I never asked you to personally handle my problem, I simply stated the reasons WHY I wanted to do the early upgrade on my wife's phone...and why I had already done it with my phone. You took it to a level of acting like I was asking you to personally step-out and do something besides type your smart remarks because you have a bit more experience and the ability to have "a phone on each carrier". Such great help and wonderful ideas, and a great attitude to top it off...wow, what more could you want when you present the reasons to want a phone and try to get an idea of how long before you can take advantage of an offer that is currently on-going.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
For 1) I had no clue about updates bricking a phone. (Member since 1-20-2011). I only had one android phone, before this Samsung Galaxy S3 (EVER), and that was the Optimus S. How the hell was I supposed to know they would send out an update that bricked the phone? Since it was my first android device and prior to that I was on dumbphones, I had no experience (which as you have pointed out OH SO WELL is my fault)...but when mine and my wife's job both took a plunge with the economy and we were both laid off for 2 years, phones weren't on the top of our list from 2009 until 2011) Again, that's our fault, if only we had the superior intelligence like some people do, we would've known, and hence been able to buy expensive smartphones so we could've learned that an update could brick that expensive smartphone sooner...but alas, I digress...

2)I could easily buy the phone off of craigslist. So, it was my fault that Sprint sent an update to someone who had 3 of the same phone, and who didn't have a clue about Android being able to brick like that. And we weren't talking about a couple of months (Since I said it was last October when the update came out, and I'm just now eligible to buyout my upgrade for $50, that means that it's been 12 months ago - or very close to it.) So we're talking about a couple or 12 months that I would have to make yet another cheap phone last.

Switch carriers...wow. I have Sprint for a reason, and if I wanted to switch carriers, I would've done that and this would be a non-issue. A loaner..that's epic too, since I'm pretty sure I stated that the CLOSEST Sprint store is a few minutes over an hour away, in another county...not like I can run up the road and be there in 10 mins. Counting on one hand the times I've been up even NEAR that store this year makes 3...the 3rd time was last week when I went to get my SGS3.

Really, thanks for those eye-opening suggestions.
But I never asked you to personally handle my problem, I simply stated the reasons WHY I wanted to do the early upgrade on my wife's phone...and why I had already done it with my phone. You took it to a level of acting like I was asking you to personally step-out and do something besides type your smart remarks because you have a bit more experience and the ability to have "a phone on each carrier". Such great help and wonderful ideas, and a great attitude to top it off...wow, what more could you want when you present the reasons to want a phone and try to get an idea of how long before you can take advantage of an offer that is currently on-going.

1) You could have done some research after the first phone bricked. Or even after the second one. Then you'd have known. If you guys had financial cut backs and phones weren't important then you should have bought a couple of basic flip phones and changed your plan. That would have saved you quite a bit while out of work.

2) Again, research! It is a consumers best friend!

3) You just said you were just at the store last week. Why not get her a loaner phone then that she could use until her upgrade.......

Like stated, it is not a certain amount of time before you can get it to $50. It is based on many many different factors. I have gotten people into a $50 buyout 8 months before an upgrade date. I have also had it to where it is $100 even 30 days before their upgrade. No one can give you a straight answer on that. I wouldn't take care of your situation unless you were to walk into my store. And then I would have presented you with multiple options. It would have been your choice to act upon one of those options. If you didn't and wanted to just piss and moan then I would have asked you to leave. But if you had wanted to act upon one of the options then I would have helped you accomplish one of them. Sometimes there is fault on both sides. Sometimes more on one than the other.

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have some bit of loyalty to Sprint, as they've been good to me on a personal level (mostly account services, not so much the Sprint store itself)..back when the economy dunked and I was contracted with two phones at the time, even though they were dumbphones and I wasn't using them near as much as I do now, the bill was almost one of those things that I let go...but being under contract, I stuck it out and didn't want to ruin my credit any further...I knew if I tried to make it that it would work..and it did. When the federal government decided to debate for 3 months while people were doing without uunemployment -- and they were deciding whether to extend benefits or not -- I had to call Sprint and say "I don't know WHEN I'll be able to pay my bill, but I have this number on job apps and etc...and I'm even willing to let my wife's phone go..but please help me out and I'll pay as soon as the government does something/a job calls me and I go to work."
And they did. They put my bill off for THREE months...I didn't pay the bill until it had reached 560 bucks, which was 3 whole months of bills. I made good on my word though..and I paid them, and never lost service. That happened not once, but twice...stretched out into a 15-month period I had 2 times that I had to stretch my bill like that...then both times I caught the bill back up to zero once I had money to do so. First time was unemployment, second time was a job and the first paycheck from it...
I'm hitting my 5th year with Sprint..and that one year was the only time I ever let my bill go, those two times...so they understood and helped a great deal.

At any rate, there's an old saying about "if I knew then what I know now"...because back then I didn't have access to forums to read like I do now...I didn't have TIME to do all that reading to begin with...whereas now, I'm a "househusband" and spend every day at home with the kids...SO....I have plenty of time to study and read up on things. I would've never figured out how to root my Optimii, and get all 3 of them back to working if this wasn't the case.

And actually, last week was the first time in the history of me having a cell phone --- besides when I had a nextel and was forced to do it because they didn't give Nextels away for free -- that I paid that kind of money for a phone. I told my wife that I'd rather pay for a phone and know it's going to work // not freeze up and hang on just normal every-day things like texting, phone calls, and pictures...than to get one for free...
and she feels the same way now that she's seen how much better my SGS3 is than her Optimus S...
I only have a sense of urgency because her birthday is August 11 and I'd like to only pay $50 to get her phone...but just to put an end to all of this, if it doesn't drop between now and 8/10/2012, then I'll just pay the $100 and upgrade as her birthday present. Her original date of upgrade is 11/1 anyway, and we'll be focusing on Christmas for our 4 children at that time anyway...so I'd rather go ahead and bear the expense now rather than later.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I have some bit of loyalty to Sprint, as they've been good to me on a personal level (mostly account services, not so much the Sprint store itself)..back when the economy dunked and I was contracted with two phones at the time, even though they were dumbphones and I wasn't using them near as much as I do now, the bill was almost one of those things that I let go...but being under contract, I stuck it out and didn't want to ruin my credit any further...I knew if I tried to make it that it would work..and it did. When the federal government decided to debate for 3 months while people were doing without uunemployment -- and they were deciding whether to extend benefits or not -- I had to call Sprint and say "I don't know WHEN I'll be able to pay my bill, but I have this number on job apps and etc...and I'm even willing to let my wife's phone go..but please help me out and I'll pay as soon as the government does something/a job calls me and I go to work."
And they did. They put my bill off for THREE months...I didn't pay the bill until it had reached 560 bucks, which was 3 whole months of bills. I made good on my word though..and I paid them, and never lost service. That happened not once, but twice...stretched out into a 15-month period I had 2 times that I had to stretch my bill like that...then both times I caught the bill back up to zero once I had money to do so. First time was unemployment, second time was a job and the first paycheck from it...
I'm hitting my 5th year with Sprint..and that one year was the only time I ever let my bill go, those two times...so they understood and helped a great deal.

At any rate, there's an old saying about "if I knew then what I know now"...because back then I didn't have access to forums to read like I do now...I didn't have TIME to do all that reading to begin with...whereas now, I'm a "househusband" and spend every day at home with the kids...SO....I have plenty of time to study and read up on things. I would've never figured out how to root my Optimii, and get all 3 of them back to working if this wasn't the case.

And actually, last week was the first time in the history of me having a cell phone --- besides when I had a nextel and was forced to do it because they didn't give Nextels away for free -- that I paid that kind of money for a phone. I told my wife that I'd rather pay for a phone and know it's going to work // not freeze up and hang on just normal every-day things like texting, phone calls, and pictures...than to get one for free...
and she feels the same way now that she's seen how much better my SGS3 is than her Optimus S...
I only have a sense of urgency because her birthday is August 11 and I'd like to only pay $50 to get her phone...but just to put an end to all of this, if it doesn't drop between now and 8/10/2012, then I'll just pay the $100 and upgrade as her birthday present. Her original date of upgrade is 11/1 anyway, and we'll be focusing on Christmas for our 4 children at that time anyway...so I'd rather go ahead and bear the expense now rather than later.

If it is going to drop it will drop on august 1st. It is almost always the 1st of the month.

Reactions: tlrsax54

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, I called Sprint today and explained to them I wanted a upgrade to purchase the SIII. Mind you, I just had a upgrade Feb 1st. The CS rep talked the her "Mgr", and what do you know, immediate upgrade. After Sprint said no last week I did switch to VZ last Sunday for a whole 6 days, ported my number and everything. Well I'm back for hopefully another 10+yrs...

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I called the Sprint store yesterday since these things change on the first of month, and the account services rep told me that it's a slim chance my upgrade will drop from $100 to. $50, but this upgrade now promotion expires on August 26, so I have from now until then to decide if I want to do it with the promotion.

Swype'd with my Sammy Galaxy S3

jonathanm1978

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anyone knows when this promotion/offer will expire.

First I was told it will expire on August 26.

Couple days later, I was told it will expire on September 2.

A rep that I got by calling 611 told me a few days after that, that this promotion is will expire at the end of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BiggerBoat1919