No more Jailbreak for Apple users

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I think that's obvious, but this was probably directed towards the people who do like to tinker with their phones. Those are the people who will care

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

I meant to say its not for everyone. Edited :).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Rooting, Jailbreak etc arent necessary steps for everyone. I have an iPhone and it is not Jailbroken.
If you want most of the same options you get on Android, you need to Jailbreak. Things like 3rd party app integration, or being able to share media or attachements with any installed app...you cannot get these things on a non-Jailbroken iPhone.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Rooting, Jailbreak etc arent necessary steps for everyone. I have an iPhone and it is not Jailbroken. I have the apps i need for my daily activities, leisure, productive etc. I also have a Nexus 7, which I haven?t done anything to, except install the Google Now Launcher. Most people don?t need to mess with their devices. Most fine their devices just fine the way they bought them.

Jailbreaking my First Gen iPad ruined it IMO.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
How did it ruin it? I have ben told Jailbreaking carries a lot less risk on iOS than rooting does on Android.

The Jailbreaking process, and all that comes with it (at least for the last update my iPad was allowed to take, which I believe was iOS4 or 5) is an extremely weird thing. The process is fine, usually being a one click deal. But actually utilizing it, particularly that Cydia, the Winterboard/Springboard, etc. is completely counter-intuitive and only made enjoying my device more troublesome. The Cydia market was, at that time, completely chaotic and with no logic or reason. So finding useful tools aside from the standard "Top 5 things to get!" lists is extremely difficult. On top of that, Jailbreaking is most similar to our rooting, so it's really only opening up a level of access. You can't change system images or make wholesale firmware changes (at least when I did it), so for me, I never really bought into it as a means to effectively master and control one's device.

I should have never done it. I used the iPad for Netflix, reading, and browsing. There's simply no need for it, but alas, here I am today.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I should have never done it. I used the iPad for Netflix, reading, and browsing. There's simply no need for it, but alas, here I am today.
Well, I think that applies to Android today as well. Other than the tethering thing, I have no reason at all to root.

The main reasoned I ROMed in the past was to get rid of the vendor skins on my phones and get vanilla android back. Now that I have a nexus I have no reason to do that either.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I think that applies to Android today as well. Other than the tethering thing, I have no reason at all to root.

The main reasoned I ROMed in the past was to get rid of the vendor skins on my phones and get vanilla android back. Now that I have a nexus I have no reason to do that either.

I like controlling the kernel, particularly for stuff like fast charging, color controls, and other related tweaks. Other than that, I have no reason to flash a ROM or anything (anymore).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I like controlling the kernel, particularly for stuff like fast charging, color controls, and other related tweaks. Other than that, I have no reason to flash a ROM or anything (anymore).
I do have to admit, it is nice to be able to tether all I want without big brother watching me. T-Mobile caps me at 500MB a month. With my root tethering app, I can mask it and make it look like normal phone activity.

I don't abuse it. But it is nice not to have a hard cut off.

Zaini Art

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Haha. What's more interesting is when Google does this to Android. They are locking it down with each update, its only a matter of time before they won't allow root at all.

Posted via Android Central App

Actually google encourage developers and phones manufacturers to go easy with mods. So rooting will not break the warranty. I've read that in xda forum.

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually google encourage developers and phones manufacturers to go easy with mods. So rooting will not break the warranty. I've read that in xda forum.

In the U.S. if you buy a smartphone from any carrier and you root your phone, you lose your warranty. If you mess up your phone and take it to them they can refuse you because its your own fault. If you have insurance then, you can try to hide the fact that you broke it or claim it as lost or stolen.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have never rooted to tether but I have made use of root in many other ways with even more listed in this short video and all still are useful and require root. Also the misconception of root decreasing security is down right misinformation. Irresponsibly leaves you with less security after root that is all and that is on the user that didn't install superuser. Which is also explained in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTkHe7-lXw

Root is for Bleeding edge development experiences for me.

Zaini Art

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
In the U.S. if you buy a smartphone from any carrier and you root your phone, you lose your warranty. If you mess up your phone and take it to them they can refuse you because its your own fault. If you have insurance then, you can try to hide the fact that you broke it or claim it as lost or stolen.

That's the same condition in my country. My point is that the mother of Android which is Google are opening door from the beginning to mods, unlike Apple. So complete locking Android for root not going to happen I guess, except from manufacturer side. Well, who knows.

I want Nexus

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

On its own Nexus device Google states that unlocking the bootloader may void the warranty.

Edit: Oh, and unlocking the bootloader on the Nexus 5 trips a tampered flag.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That's the same condition in my country. My point is that the mother of Android which is Google are opening door from the beginning to mods, unlike Apple. So complete locking Android for root not going to happen I guess, except from manufacturer side. Well, who knows.

I want Nexus

You do understand rooting is in fact a vulnerability in your device? You exploit this and take control of the device. What manufacturers do is try to secure these vulnerabilities in each update. That's why you see so many people say "Does this update break root?". They want to make sure your device stays safe, but no one likes that (on the internet of course).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 4S Jailbroken On iOS 7.1, Confirms iH8sn0w
iPhone 4S iOS 7.1 Jailbreak Confirmed By iOS Hacker iH8sn0w
The bad think is only that for now his not thinking of releasing this tool to the public :(
It's a hollow victory...because Apple has made it clear they will not tolerate jailbreaking. So it will only get harder going forward. Apple is determined to stop their users from using their phones in ways Apple does not like.

eftihios

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
It's a hollow victory...because Apple has made it clear they will not tolerate jailbreaking. So it will only get harder going forward. Apple is determined to stop their users from using their phones in ways Apple does not like.
So Apple users gonna have a super-duper phone only to talk and send sms!? And why then to update to 5/6/etc!? JAilbreak includes apps that are more than essential to a user.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So Apple users gonna have a super-duper phone only to talk and send sms!? And why then to update to 5/6/etc!? JAilbreak includes apps that are more than essential to a user.

A special subset of users. Not everyone with iOS devices jailbreak.