No Seamless Updates for S21 series

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You should [bear] in mind that this feature exists in Android already. It takes no more resources to engineer around it than to keep it enabled. The work has been done.
Dunno. The article linked above (by XDA editor-in-chief Mishaal Rahman) says "OEMs don’t want to sacrifice a few gigabytes of storage space to support seamless updates" and "Another reason OEMs may have chosen not to implement A/B partitions is cost: Keeping up with Google’s constant changes to Android’s partition schemes requires a lot of effort".

I have no independent knowledge of these considerations, so I can't say whether Rahman's assessment is correct, but it sounds plausible to me.

Last edited:

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
But why would you WANT to wait 15 minutes when you shouldn't have to? Why invent the lightbulb when candles are fine why use a washing machine them there's a perfectly good bathtub in your house?

It's a better solution to a current technology.

You are a true Master of the Metaphor. :)
(I mean that as a compliment incase there is any doubt.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. A reboot with a non-seamless update can take 10-15 minutes. It's the same amount of time as it takes for "first boot" when you install a custom ROM.

2. It's not that a seamless update is less susceptible to corruption, it's that unless the update completed with no errors, the phone won't switch to the update. So the phone is still running on the last update and after 24 hours from the last attempt, it tries for an update again.

(I've only had one corrupted update - on a Note 3 - but Samsung doesn't consider corrupted updates as covered by the warranty, so you have to buy a new phone if you can't get the phone into download mode.)

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
it takes an A & B partitions for seamless updates. I guess Sammy doesn't want to show how much extra bloat they put on each device. I wonder how much that would eat into storage capacity having to duplicate the bloat on two partitions.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
This is what the Treble Check - Treble Compatibility Checking App, from the Play Store states about the S21...

wwP4s2jh.png

If I read it correctly, Project Treble is supported but not enabled and only partition A is in use.