Non Verizon Pixel 3 on Verizon

AP-123

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
New Pixel 3 XL here.

Since my first call to Level 2 Verizon support on 10/9, I've been experiencing considerable degradation of service on my commute through the Sepulveda Pass in Los Angeles.

After the 10th call to Level 2 support (because sometimes it pays to be persistent), Verizon is now telling me because I didn't buy the phone from them, it doesn't have the necessary software to assist with the transition as they are in process of removing the 3G towers and adding 5G.

I'm not sure I believe this but thought I'd post here to get some shared experiences.

Here's why. Since 10/9, on my Verizon purchased Pixel 2 XL, I continued to have the same issues with a new sim and also attempting to make calls with the phone is safe mode. This tells me that it's not the phone but their network.

Nonetheless, they are telling me that if I went back to the Pixel 2 or exchanged my phone for one from Verizon, it would be a better experience. I pride myself from being a decent judge and I will tell you this last agent sounded like he had some experience.

The good news is that Los Angeles is one of the first to be adding 5G. The bad news is that the transition is providing a considerable degredation and inconsistent element to Verizon's premium service.

Is there ANY difference between one phone from the other in software or hardware? Thank you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
New Pixel 3 XL here.

Since my first call to Level 2 Verizon support on 10/9, I've been experiencing considerable degradation of service on my commute through the Sepulveda Pass in Los Angeles.

After the 10th call to Level 2 support (because sometimes it pays to be persistent), Verizon is now telling me because I didn't buy the phone from them, it doesn't have the necessary software to assist with the transition as they are in process of removing the 3G towers and adding 5G.

I'm not sure I believe this but thought I'd post here to get some shared experiences.

Here's why. Since 10/9, on my Verizon purchased Pixel 2 XL, I continued to have the same issues with a new sim and also attempting to make calls with the phone is safe mode. This tells me that it's not the phone but their network.

Nonetheless, they are telling me that if I went back to the Pixel 2 or exchanged my phone for one from Verizon, it would be a better experience. I pride myself from being a decent judge and I will tell you this last agent sounded like he had some experience.

The good news is that Los Angeles is one of the first to be adding 5G. The bad news is that the transition is providing a considerable degredation and inconsistent element to Verizon's premium service.

Is there ANY difference between one phone from the other in software or hardware? Thank you.

There's something I'm missing here.
There is supposedly no difference between phones except the Verizon version has a locked bootloader as far as I know. All of the Verizon calling features work on either model so I'm wondering what could be different. Also what about LTE?

AP-123

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
Verizon also informed me that the "lock" on the phone was only until it's activated.
Then the lock is removed. This is to prevent theft of non-activated phones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Verizon also informed me that the "lock" on the phone was only until it's activated.

That's carrier lock, not the bootloader lock. Two very different things but for the purpose of your dilemma irrelevant.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

He's talking about Locked bootloader, not the phone is being locked or unlocked to a carrier. 2 separate things. The Verizon version was locked to Verizon only for a day, due to public outcry, they decided to unlock it so you can use it on any carrier now. A locked bootloader is more for rooting your phone and putting a different rom on it. Verizon version has a locked bootloader so you can't root it or put a different rom on it easily. that still should not affect the performance of your phone.

AP-123

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
Could there be anything, software or hardware affecting the performance of a non-Verizon phone on the Verizon network? What software "that would helpt during the transition" could they be referring to if any?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Could there be anything, software or hardware affecting the performance of a non-Verizon phone on the Verizon network? What software "that would helpt during the transition" could they be referring to if any?

only software difference is Verizon auto install 3 apps when you put in a Verizon sim, not sure what apps they are since I don't have Verizon. They all can be uninstalled right away. and they shouldn't make any difference.

No hardware difference. Same frequency on the phone. Like we said they are the exact same phone except for the locked bootloader on Verizon version.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I would just stop in a Verizon store have them look at the APN and other settings instead of dealing with customer support over the phone.

Dean Liensdorf

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
The only question I might ask the OP is if during their commute did the phone switch to 3G due to the ruggedness of the terrain and the network. If it did, then I might believe their explanation.