Not a "real Nexus?" WTF?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Also look at when Apple came to Verizon--when they had a significant market share/customer base. Apple has NEVER conceded any ground within any negotiations in the past, what, decade? So why would they with Sprint/Verizon?

One thing I think of when it comes to Apple's concessions.... One of the reasons Verizon passed on the original iPhone and ATT picked up exclusivity is because one of Apple's demands was that if people need help/service, they are to take it to an Apple store for that. Verizon was not willing to budge, they want their customers to be able to walk into a Verizon store for help with their devices. When Verizon finally got the iPhone, they got it on those terms. Apple conceded there. Just an example of how they don't necessarily hold unlimited power, lol.

Regarding the 'true nexus' argument, I'm sticking with the simple definition... Google considers the VZW Nexus a Nexus, so I do too. :)

Reactions: jroc

Droosh

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
that maybe true but imagine if google said we will not allow android based phones onto any carrier that does not allow updates directly from google for the os. Some carriers would then lose alot of business as some of those people will not want an i-phone.

Google can't say that as they have no control. I suppose that they could tell the OEMs that they lose Google Apps integration unless they put their foot down and refuse to sell any Android devices to carriers without a stipulation that the carrier can't update the OS and that all updates must come from the 3rd party OS creator (Google). This assumes that Google even wants responsibility for these updates which I doubt. It also would require the OEMs to illegally collude with each other to refuse to sell to Verizon without this stipulation. That's a lot to ask.

I would hope that Google would at least take a stronger stance with their own Nexus devices, but fact is that they have so little leverage (unlike Apple) that Google probably just said you do it our way (updates, bloatware, block Wallet, etc.) or we won't purchase any Nexus devices from you and Samsung and we won't authorize any that you sell directly on our network.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I meant reneged (pulled, sorry not sure if that's the correct spelling).

At one point CDMA was part of AOSP, and then "suddenly" it was pulled when the GN was released.

Also, let's say MetroPCS gets the GN, they could just sign the libraries and give it to Google, no?

Regarding the first statement, I believe it was pulled b/c they simply did not have the rights/access to it, thus it couldn't be fit under the terms of the "AOSP."

Regarding the last, I have no idea lol

One thing I think of when it comes to Apple's concessions.... One of the reasons Verizon passed on the original iPhone and ATT picked up exclusivity is because one of Apple's demands was that if people need help/service, they are to take it to an Apple store for that. Verizon was not willing to budge, they want their customers to be able to walk into a Verizon store for help with their devices. When Verizon finally got the iPhone, they got it on those terms. Apple conceded there. Just an example of how they don't necessarily hold unlimited power, lol.

Regarding the 'true nexus' argument, I'm sticking with the simple definition... Google considers the VZW Nexus a Nexus, so I do too. :)

That's true, I forgot about. Past that though, there's not many instances where Apple didn't completely dominate stuff. But they deserve it, in all honesty.

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
everyone taking the "if apple can do it, so can google" stance has forgotten one MAJOR thing:
APPLE ONLY HAS A FEW DEVICES TO UPDATE.....AND THEY ARE ALL FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER!!!
You can't possibly compare the two. Now, if you'd like to go the MS/google route, that's totally different. But considering this discussion is based on proprietary files provided by manufacturers/carriers cooperation, you can't use apple as a standard, because they are the only manufacturer of i-devices.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
To my knowledge, they can't be uninstalled without rooting. You shouldn't have to hack a Nexus device to get a pure google experience. Sprint's version of the Nexus does not have any additional apps that are locked in the ROM.

They can be disabled in the app manager. Once disabled, they will not appear in your app tray. This is not a big deal.

As far as I know, Google itself includes alot of apps that cannot be unstalled such as:
  1. Google+
  2. Google Play Movies
  3. Google Play Books
  4. Google Search

So you are restricted by Google itself in uninstalling apps. Does that make it a Non-Nexus device as well?

Google established what "Nexus" means, and they call it a Nexus so that is what it is.

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You know... that actually answers the question. Jump to the link and read the text in the upper right of the image. THAT defines what a google nexus should be (and what the verizon nexus prime isn't):

Pure Google.
No contract. No commitment.

Yes, but if you click "more info" you would see this:

Technical specifications and spare parts
Devices are unlocked and contract free. Please note that your Galaxy Nexus will not work with all major carrier networks. Be sure to carefully review the product requirements and technical specifications listed below:

* Galaxy Nexus devices purchased on Google Play are unlocked GSM/HSPA+ devices.
* The unlocked Galaxy Nexus requires GSM compatible service provider for voice calling. In the United States this includes AT&T and T-Mobile. Phones purchased from devices on Google Play are not compatible with Verizon or Sprint.
* High speed data access requires a compatible 3G/4G HSPA+ cellular data service provider such as AT&T and T-Mobile.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
What no one has answered here (including Mr. Hillenbrand who disappeared after claiming he would continue to answer questions), why doesn't Apple have the same delays in updating their CDMA iPhone? Does Apple own CDMA licenses because they are a hardware manufacturer?

Additionally, why doesn't Google just buy the licenses from Qualcomm? I don't think they are hard-up for cash.

Finally, will the acquisition of Motorola Mobility give Google direct access to the CDMA licenses anyway, since Motorola clearly has built many CDMA devices.

Reactions: beerhound

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
AT&T has super fast LTE where I live (40-50 mbps consistently). I swore I'd never get another non-LTE device again after my Note, but then Google put the GSM Nexus on sale. I'm still hitting about 5 mbps download on HSPA+ here and that's actually good enough for most things. And my Nexus lasts a whole day easily, which can't be said of the LTE version on Verizon, in most cases.
I consistently hit above 30 MBPS on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus which isn't too shabby considering all the LTE devices Verizon has sold.

I suspect AT&T's LTE network will slow down once more LTE devices are activated on their network.

garyd

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but if you click "more info" you would see this:

Technical specifications and spare parts
Devices are unlocked and contract free. Please note that your Galaxy Nexus will not work with all major carrier networks. Be sure to carefully review the product requirements and technical specifications listed below:

* Galaxy Nexus devices purchased on Google Play are unlocked GSM/HSPA+ devices.
* The unlocked Galaxy Nexus requires GSM compatible service provider for voice calling. In the United States this includes AT&T and T-Mobile. Phones purchased from devices on Google Play are not compatible with Verizon or Sprint.
* High speed data access requires a compatible 3G/4G HSPA+ cellular data service provider such as AT&T and T-Mobile.
I fail to see how that changes what I quoted. It doesn't modify what is or isn't a nexus. Again, Google's own site defines the nexus as "Pure Google."

Show me a phone running on Verizon that's "pure google." It doesn't exist.

Even if verizon hadn't preloaded a tiny bit of bloat on the phone, it still isn't "pure google" by google's own statement regarding the carrier (or qualcomm?) signed APK's, etc.

It doesn't make it a bad phone - but I won't and can't claim to have a true Google Nexus device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As a reference, can anyone post a quote from Google where they specifically state that part of the Nexus experience includes guaranteed timely software updates?

Reactions: jroc

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I fail to see how that changes what I quoted. It doesn't modify what is or isn't a nexus. Again, Google's own site defines the nexus as "Pure Google."

Show me a phone running on Verizon that's "pure google." It doesn't exist.

Even if verizon hadn't preloaded a tiny bit of bloat on the phone, it still isn't "pure google" by google's own statement regarding the carrier (or qualcomm?) signed APK's, etc.

It doesn't make it a bad phone - but I won't and can't claim to have a true Google Nexus device.

At this point I don't really care if they call it the red headed step child of Google. As long as I can buy a phone from Verizon/Sprint that allows me to easily unlock the bootloader I'm good. Trying to get the timing right on the Evo 4g flash exploit was annoying.......
.tap tap tap tap tap tap did I make it? Doh! Sigh... start over..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

GatorGrad

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
What no one has answered here (including Mr. Hillenbrand who disappeared after claiming he would continue to answer questions), why doesn't Apple have the same delays in updating their CDMA iPhone? Does Apple own CDMA licenses because they are a hardware manufacturer?

Additionally, why doesn't Google just buy the licenses from Qualcomm? I don't think they are hard-up for cash.

Finally, will the acquisition of Motorola Mobility give Google direct access to the CDMA licenses anyway, since Motorola clearly has built many CDMA devices.

Apple has to update ONE phone brand/design...the logistics of checking to make sure bugs aren't an issue is much easier. Android has a bazillion devices and the process is MUCH more complex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord