Not able to access google photos from apps

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Pretty much the title is what's going on. I was using GrapheneOS as flashed back to stock pixel software. I restored from my backup using google one for the backup. Upon restoring none of the apps show google photos in the share area when you go to attach pictures. I always have to click the folder which opens files and then click photos from there and then the photos folder. If I go to add a photo to signal or instagram there is nothing there an no option to select any photos.

I have been chatting with google sending screenshots and screen recordings and they have yet to say anything that may be happening.

What I think is happening is that its a limitation of android/permissions. When you grant lets say the google messages app permissions for photos & videos. It has access to the photos and videos stored on the device not the ones on the cloud via the photos app.

When you do a restore using googles own backup in doesn't actually restore a single photo to the device they stay in the cloud. You would think that their own messaging app would have cloud integration. On my iPhone I am able to share any picture from photos and they are all in iCloud.

Has anyone else ran into this?

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Are these photos you took before or after restoring the device? Apps can only access photos that are on your device. Take a couple photos and see if you can access those but not prior ones. If you restored from a backup, your photos are online only, and can't be accessed from apps if you download them from the Google Photos app. I don't know if you can multi-select a number of images and download them all at once or not, but I'll check. Edit: crap, I don't get a download option when selecting multiple photos. Only on the info section of individual photos.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Are these photos you took before or after restoring the device? Apps can only access photos that are on your device. Take a couple photos and see if you can access those but not prior ones. If you restored from a backup, your photos are online only, and can't be accessed from apps if you download them from the Google Photos app. I don't know if you can multi-select a number of images and download them all at once or not, but I'll check. Edit: crap, I don't get a download option when selecting multiple photos. Only on the info section of individual photos.

I figured it would have to do with the photos being stored on the device not the cloud. Which is yet another aspect that google needs to actually work on.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
All permission are on in those apps ?

Yes its a limitation of android/google. Apps on device can only access photos on device. When restoring my google one backup, the photos are just synced in the photos app. There is no way to do group downloading of photo either, again more limitations of google services and apps.

If you try and download your google library it comes in serveral zip files in no specific order. All the photos have an accompanying json file as well. For 6500 photos, it was 10 zip files lol. I actually took the time to organize all files by year in folders and added them to the phone from my computer. None of the video files would play, so IDK google needs to get things together on this front haha.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes its a limitation of android/google. Apps on device can only access photos on device. When restoring my google one backup, the photos are just synced in the photos app. There is no way to do group downloading of photo either, again more limitations of google services and apps.

If you try and download your google library it comes in serveral zip files in no specific order. All the photos have an accompanying json file as well. For 6500 photos, it was 10 zip files lol. I actually took the time to organize all files by year in folders and added them to the phone from my computer. None of the video files would play, so IDK google needs to get things together on this front haha.
Do you use Google one? Thats what ive been using for awhile not sure if it does things differently from just a Google back up, with that being said Google photos is your default gallery on pixels so a app that you want share pictures would get it from that and between devices when i go to new Pixel my photos are organized by year and dates .

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Do you use Google one? Thats what ive been using for awhile not sure if it does things differently from just a Google back up, with that being said Google photos is your default gallery on pixels so a app that you want share pictures would get it from that and between devices when i go to new Pixel my photos are organized by year and dates .

The issue is that after restoring my backup from google one none of the pictures are restored to the device. Apps like google messages cant directly access the photos stored online via google photos. I have to either share directly from the photos app, manually download or use the file explore function from with in the app to eventually get to the photos.

If I take a photo it shows up automatically in the area for photo sharing, if I download a photo it shows up as well. This is just a limitation of google services at this point. I have had an extensive back and forth with support for the last 2 weeks getting them to understand this hopefully.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The issue is that after restoring my backup from google one none of the pictures are restored to the device. Apps like google messages cant directly access the photos stored online via google photos. I have to either share directly from the photos app, manually download or use the file explore function from with in the app to eventually get to the photos.

If I take a photo it shows up automatically in the area for photo sharing, if I download a photo it shows up as well. This is just a limitation of google services at this point. I have had an extensive back and forth with support for the last 2 weeks getting them to understand this hopefully.
You dont get gallery option in Google messages?
08dec27308b1eb127e18e4f8cf09a8a5.jpg