Not able to save backup to SD card after upgrade

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just used Helium and was able to backup to the sd card.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Back up what? you can back up just about anything but when you go to use or retrieve it, it will not show up on the phone for some things like music. I was using astro and tried from es file also. A lot of apps will state right on them when you go to install that they can only work from internal storage ... and that KK had disabled the storage to external sd. No biggie as the phone has quite a bit of storage but if you are some one who put videos and such on sd for storage so kids can watch etc. so it doesn't bog down phone it could be a problem.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Back up what? you can back up just about anything but when you go to use or retrieve it, it will not show up on the phone for some things like music. I was using astro and tried from es file also. A lot of apps will state right on them when you go to install that they can only work from internal storage ... and that KK had disabled the storage to external sd. No biggie as the phone has quite a bit of storage but if you are some one who put videos and such on sd for storage so kids can watch etc. so it doesn't bog down phone it could be a problem.

Backup app and app data.

I have no problems playing video or music from SD card using quickpic for video. For music I use power amp

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I also am using Power Amp without any issues of seeing my music on my physical SD card. ES File Explorer still writes just fine (as mentioned above) also an app called Total Commander has no issues. Astro, on the other hand, will not write. So....goodbye Astro, hello Total Commander.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried the ES Explorer but I can't find a way to make it do a backup.

Deb from my Note 3

Es file Explorer is a file Explorer. You can use Helium to make backups

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Backup app and app data.

I have no problems playing video or music from SD card using quickpic for video. For music I use power amp

I download music directly to phone and if I move to sd from internal storage...have you specifically tried this? I f so i will try the apps you mention. I have no problem with existing music, pics or video on external sd...just stuff I try to move there from internal storage as to keep phone free of mass storage...Please let me know if you have tried this .

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I download music directly to phone and if I move to sd from internal storage...have you specifically tried this? I f so i will try the apps you mention. I have no problem with existing music, pics or video on external sd...just stuff I try to move there from internal storage as to keep phone free of mass storage...Please let me know if you have tried this .

Yes, this works with es file Explorer.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3655455

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Shaggy Kids/Deb. Try uninstalling the back up app you have, and reinstall it. I have found this to work. You may have to try and download a different backup up instead as the easiest way. Make SURE you save your info first to a computer, or just download another backup app, backup your info again, and start from there. Have you tried Samsung backup? Try easy backup, or other apps.

I tried the ES Explorer but I can't find a way to make it do a backup.

Deb from my Note 3

Go ahead and try Easy Backup from the play store. It's by droid apps and highly rated. Store your backups OFF the phone and card, or leave a copy of it elsewhere. You may be in a situation without access to your phone and SD card (ie, lost, stolen, crushed, corrupted, won't power on.
Hope this helps! I really do, and you should have no problem.

I have had this issue myself. I'd download songs, and hen I couldn't find them in my stock music player, and had to dig to find them at all, other than in the music download app itself. I had to move them all over myself. What's more, is that I had to download a third party music/song ID tag app to modify the pictures, and info.
So, to fix this, try different 3rd party music apps. Remember, all the developers have to rebuild their apps on the KitKat, and it can be a mess at the start.

Also, to use ES file explorer, it's tough to be straightforward, as I can't see what you see. Navigate to internal memory, aka SDCard0, find the music folder, touch and hold. Then, tap on move, then find the Ext Sd Card and tap on it, find music and then tap move here at the bottom.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Well I have been using My Backup Pro for a while now. That app creates it's own folder on the SD card and writes the backup file to it. I was told by the Dev at My Backup Pro that there is nothing they can do to change the program so It writes to the SD, so If I continue to use that app it will write to the internal memory instead.

To be blunt, the dev is lying to you. Since it's a paid app I wouldn't tolerate that if I were you.

To the others who were looking for file managers and music players that work well with kit kat, I suggest X-plore and File Expert to handle files and for music players Rocket Music player or Poweramp.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I got the same response when I contacted the developer as jpr did. Also to have no plans to fix it or find a workaround. He also gave me some good explanations which I basically knew already about the security aspects of things. So for me I'm done trying to make this app work with the SD card and I will just have keep an eye on how full my internal card is and delete old backups as necessary. As time permits I may try to find an app that works with Dropbox.

I did try the uninstall and reinstall and it made no difference. I also tried changing the path and it will not accept any other path.

Deb from my Note 3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Shaggykids, did you take a look at Helium? I don't use Dropbox so I never paid attention if that was one of the features. Helium had always been a bit buggy for me but I was able to transfer most of my app data from my old phone to my Note 3 from the SD Card using it and that was going from a Jellybean phone to a Kit Kat Note 3.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but I prefer something automatic. Don't want to have to plug my phone into my PC to do a backup. I also found that there were a number of apps that it would not back up.

Deb from my Note 3

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
@donc13

Yes another carrier and a different phone....

I just used Helium and was able to backup to the sd card.

If you are rooted My Backup Pro will work also.....

I also am using Power Amp without any issues of seeing my music on my physical SD card. ES File Explorer still writes just fine (as mentioned above) also an app called Total Commander has no issues. Astro, on the other hand, will not write. So....goodbye Astro, hello Total Commander.

It's not a problem reading FROM the SD card, it's when you want to WRITE to it where the problem comes in....

Last edited by a moderator:

lowboydrvr

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
It's not a problem reading FROM the SD card, it's when you want to WRITE to it where the problem comes in....

I was referring to the WRITE ability (not just read). ES File Explorer, Total Commander both write to the SD card without issue. Astro could not (so I have stopped using it). Also the Samsung File app also can write to the SD card.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was referring to the WRITE ability (not just read). ES File Explorer, Total Commander both write to the SD card without issue. Astro could not (so I have stopped using it). Also the Samsung File app also can write to the SD card.

I was pretty loyal to Astro but honestly even on 4.3,there was lag in the app. Es seems to run much smoother. Even if Astro fixes the app, I would probably stay with es

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I have had this issue myself. I'd download songs, and hen I couldn't find them in my stock music player, and had to dig to find them at all, other than in the music download app itself. I had to move them all over myself. What's more, is that I had to download a third party music/song ID tag app to modify the pictures, and info.
So, to fix this, try different 3rd party music apps. Remember, all the developers have to rebuild their apps on the KitKat, and it can be a mess at the start.

Also, to use ES file explorer, it's tough to be straightforward, as I can't see what you see. Navigate to internal memory, aka SDCard0, find the music folder, touch and hold. Then, tap on move, then find the Ext Sd Card and tap on it, find music and then tap move here at the bottom.

Best of luck!
Thank you for responding...I did try es and it transfers
files to external sd the problem is once they are there only my cloud music player finds them. I have contacted mixzing and hope they can solve as I do not like to store all my music on internal storage, and I download it directly to phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for responding...I did try es and it transfers
files to external sd the problem is once they are there only my cloud music player finds them. I have contacted mixzing and hope they can solve as I do not like to store all my music on internal storage, and I download it directly to phone.

Power amp works.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site

Oh ok, I read somewhere that if the app created the folder that it writes to it should still work, but according to the Dev's at My Backup Pro, they say it won't work. They also said you should be able to do the back up and then move it to the SD card using the built in file manager on the phone, but I don't know. I am still on the 4.3 right now. To me it kinda makes the SD card useless, and I dough that it will be fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaplogo