Not liking the Nexus 5X because of lag

L0N35T4R

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
re:

OP have you tried a factory reset? If you do this...clear the system cache as soon as the reset is done. Then slowly start to reinstall apps to see if there's a particular app that's causing the problems.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

The lag is well documented across sites, don't know the reason. Can those who have the problem state their memory size please, may be a factor. Want to replace my wife's phone, but need to see something conclusive on a fix.

ADS

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
re:

Mine has lag too. Not all the time, but sometimes it just seems there is too much going on with the phone and it just freezes up momentarily and I have to wait for it to recover. Hope the next update can fix it. Otherwise, absolutely love the 5X.

folarino

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
re:

And yes, I have lag, not all the time, but when it shows up it is just like the poster above, phone behaves as if it is being overworked and everything becomes slow. Hitting the home button registers the touch, but doesn't work for like 3-4 seconds. Everything is like that. It will eventually get a bit better, but not as snappy as doing a reboot.

The lag is well documented and I hope google is aware and working on it because it is frustrating to experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
re:

The lag is well documented across sites, don't know the reason. Can those who have the problem state their memory size please, may be a factor. Want to replace my wife's phone, but need to see something conclusive on a fix.

ADS
I really don't think it's a RAM issue. 2 GB should be plenty (my Moto X 2013 with 2 GB of RAM flies and has zero lag).

That said, if it's helpful to you, I just checked my phone, and it says average memory use is 1.5 GB. Performance: Normal. Total memory: 1.8 GB. Average used: 87%. Free: 230 MB.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
And yes, I have lag, not all the time, but when it shows up it is just like the poster above, phone behaves as if it is being overworked and everything becomes slow. Hitting the home button registers the touch, but doesn't work for like 3-4 seconds. Everything is like that. It will eventually get a bit better, but not as snappy as doing a reboot.

The lag is well documented and I hope google is aware and working on it because it is frustrating to experience.

If people are not having or noticing this "lag" then they are not noticing this lag. I mean I don't see it. I don't have to wait 3 seconds when I hit the home button, I don't have to wait when I open apps. The Camara sometimes takes a second or two bit not bad. I understand you're looking for answers but telling people to (get the "you know what" out) is Internet tough guy talk that no one needs. People have every right to express their experiences. My thing is that people perceive lag differently. Do you really want a phone that you have to post on an Internet forum to try to make it work differently? If the phone doesn't work the way you want and it bothers you, it's not for you and I'd suggest buying a different phone😉. Many of us are happy and the overwhelming majority are enjoying the phones. Heck it's a little annoying to us too when people complain. All those that don't like the phone should sell it imo...

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

aysiu

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
re:

Do you really want a phone that you have to post on an Internet forum to try to make it work differently? If the phone doesn't work the way you want and it bothers you, it's not for you and I'd suggest buying a different phone������. Many of us are happy and the overwhelming majority are enjoying the phones.
I know you're not addressing me here, but I think this is a bit of a false dichotomy. I can't speak for others experiencing the lag, but I'm seeing lag, and I still like the phone. I don't want a different phone. I think, apart from the lag, the Nexus 5x is offering me a terrific experience. I especially like the camera and the fingerprint sensor. So maybe the person you're addressing hates the phone and should get a different phone, but some of us actually like the phone—we just want Google to take a look at why a bunch of (not all but also not just one or two) users are complaining about lag.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

Mod Note - Just a reminder to keep things civil. No need for Insults / going down the troll road.

Thanks.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
re:

There is a definite lag on every 5X i've ever used. It's not crippling, but it's there — especially when you compare it to the 6P.

After a good bit of use, I'm fairly confident what we're seeing is a CPU bottleneck. I see the same issue regardless of how much memory is free or reserved for the interface.

If I'm correct (I have been once or twice :p ) this is something that might be sorted through the cpu governor. Issue is, that will affect battery life — possibly a lot.

I've not tried building a kernel for the 5X, but I'm sure someone out there has. Has anyone tried one, especially one with a more aggressive CPU governor?

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
re:

I no longer keep up with specs of each phone, they just come out too fast for someone not in the industry. Is the 5x the only phone of similar specs running Marshmallow? Any other reports of lags, or you think they've sacrificed battery life?

ADS

stuka85

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5X - Serious lag. Any suggestions to improve it overall?

Im having the lag issue, i have to restart the phone two or three times a week because of it, and for me the memory leak starts when i use the camera, the more i use it the more lag i get, theres even times i shot a photo and then it dissapears.

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5X - Serious lag. Any suggestions to improve it overall?

Im having the lag issue, i have to restart the phone two or three times a week because of it, and for me the memory leak starts when i use the camera, the more i use it the more lag i get, theres even times i shot a photo and then it dissapears.

Yes I have experienced the same thing and it's kind of embarrassing trying to take a photo like that or having someone else use your phone to take a picture with the camera not functioning or delaying so long.

Posted via my Nexus 5X & T-Mobile Unlimited

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what's up with it either. Compared to my previous smart phones from Samsung, HTC, and Motorola my 5X is faster and more responsive that any of my previous smart phones, but considering it's newer with better hardware it should be, and it is for me, so far. But lag? I cannot say I have experienced it.

Looks like there is inconsistent builds being sent out and quality control has not been what it should for this particular device. Hopefully they are able to resolve the issue with software updates or maybe even recalls. What do you think?

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Looks like there is inconsistent builds being sent out and quality control has not been what it should for this particular device. Hopefully they are able to resolve the issue with software updates or maybe even recalls. What do you think?

I guess it's possible. Yesterday I sat down and opened every app on my phone, took oodles of pictures of my dogs and everything else around me, trying to get it to pause, lag, or whatever you want to call it, and it just did its thing. Connected to my bluetooth speaker and played music, turned on GPS, the whole enchilada.

Mine is not perfect as it still takes videos the right side up only if the volume and power buttons are facing down, but other than that I am happy with it. Sucks to hear some are having performance problems, I know how frustrating it can be to have a new toy not work right.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Haven't seen any lag. I have seen the battery drain for no reason. But that may be Google Fi getting confused as I'm in a good Sprint and TMobile area, could be confused between the two. I go to work, and by the time I leave I'm at 50%. I don't use it at all at work because I can't, so 50% on idle.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Haven't seen any lag. I have seen the battery drain for no reason. But that may be Google Fi getting confused as I'm in a good Sprint and TMobile area, could be confused between the two. I go to work, and by the time I leave I'm at 50%. I don't use it at all at work because I can't, so 50% on idle.

How is your cellular signal at work?