Not recognizing Epic 4g as a USB drive

seand26

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is a link for 64 bit and 32 bit windows drivers

One click root for the Epic 4G! v2.1.1

Hope this helps
Drivers are not available through the link above. I am receiving an error when downloading. Got it to recognize the media storage device however by trying a another USB port on the PC. Debugging made had to be turned off.

Luck of the draw for some. I hope this is fixed somewhere down the road.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Screw Samsung drivers. Bought a new 64-bit PC today and got everything running perfectly on it quickly by just downloading and installing PDAnet for android 64-bit. During the setup, pick samsung phone (obvious, right) and everything worked perfectly.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
People plz try a different usb port! I have had several devices over the years that have had similar issues .. Ipods external drives ect.. Not all usb ports have enough power for some Devices.

Just a thought. Give it a try? I know some of the ports on the front of my tower won't work with all devices. Same with the ports on my keyboard.

GUARDiAN921

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Screw Samsung drivers. Bought a new 64-bit PC today and got everything running perfectly on it quickly by just downloading and installing PDAnet for android 64-bit. During the setup, pick samsung phone (obvious, right) and everything worked perfectly.

I've tried numerous drivers from various sources and nothing seems to work. I had high hopes for this PDAnet method to work but after trying it, came short of luck. Any other solutions out there? :(

rldev

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a problem with win 7 64bit. My system recognizes the phone, but data transfer is beyond slow. This used to work, I don't know what happened. I have turned off USB debugging, uninstalled the 64 bit drivers, rebooted and installed the drivers. I am pulling my hair out.

anon(47596)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I banged my head on this last night. It used to work, but couldn't get it to connect yesterday. The solution... I had to use the Samsung supplied USB cable. I had 2 other cables and they behaved 2 different ways. Only the Samsung cable worked, and it worked perfectly.

findjul@verizon.net

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I spent a number of hours troubleshooting this on a couple different computers. I had this phone docked via usb and working fine last week, but had difficulty with docking this time. The phone gave the correct prompts but the computer would not recognize it as a removable disc drive. I tried driver updates, changing cables, etc. In the end, I removed the SD memory card, replaced it, and then plugged the usb cord into the back of the computer (not the front). Don't know why, but that's what worked. Hope that helps someone.

BBooDad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
try getting the USB driver directly from Samsung's software site for Epic 4G. If you already tried other versions of driver, make sure you reboot before installing the "official" driver. That seemed to work for me.

BTW - the Samsung site only offers one driver for Win7. It is the one that formerly said 32bit. Either way, worked for me to un-brick my Epic on my HP Win7-64 laptop.

Good luck!

sirtiksalot

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
When I connect my phone to my PC, it often just starts charging and never prompts so I can choose to use it as mass storage. It seems that a reboot of the phone always fixes it, but it's VERY annoying. This has happened to me on multiple PC's running Win XP and Win 7 32-bit. Why isn't there a built in option in the Android OS to force mass storage mode? Seems like an obvious basic option to me. A friend of mine has an HTC Incredible, and he has an option in his settings menu to activate mass storage mode. My phone is recognizing the connection, and my PC actually allocates a drive letter, but it's not mounted so it's not accessible. I would expect this from Microsoft, but from Google???

After some more research, it seems that my issue is resolved by using ONLY the cable that came with my phone. Using another USB to MicroUSB cable is flaky at best. I thought the "U" in "USB" stood for "Universal"...

Last edited:

sweat

May 28, 2010
Visit site
My first Epic synced just fine, with no problems. I had to warranty it out last week and the new one will not sync with my Window 7 64-bit laptop.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to no avail. Windows is saying one of the USB devices malfunctioned when I try to mount the phone.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had problems when my phone was in standby (Screen turned off). Hooking up the usb will not wake it nor will your computer find it when the phone is sleepling.

sweat

May 28, 2010
Visit site
My first Epic synced just fine, with no problems. I had to warranty it out last week and the new one will not sync with my Window 7 64-bit laptop.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to no avail. Windows is saying one of the USB devices malfunctioned when I try to mount the phone.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

sweat

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The mounting issues are caused by a defective phone or a bad setting within the phone, not the computer.

Last night, as a test, I hooked my wife's Epic into the our iMac and our Windows 7 laptop. The phone sync'd just fine with both computers recognizing it as a USB drive.

Then, without changing anything, I tried to do the same with my Epic. Neither computer would recognize it as a USB drive. The iMac thought it was a networking device and the PC acted like it was installing drivers but then ceased to recognize it at all. To rule out a bad SD card, I took the card out and plugged into an SD reader; that worked just fine.

Given this, the problem is clearly with the phone. I'm taking my Epic back to the Sprint store today, which wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that was a warranty replacement for the Epic that broke last week. Needless to say, I am not a happy Epic owner.

Thrack

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
My Epic has always been super picky about the USB ports it will work with. My PC has two groups of ports and if I plug it into the same one as my KB/mouse/ipod/thumbdrive/etc it refuses to work. When I plug it into one of the ports in the second group all by itself it works fine every time. It also refuses to work with any hub or cord extender or even 3rd party cord that I've tried.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes USB ports can play trickery on your phone. Also some people still have older laptops/computer that have the older USB 1.0 ports and USB 2.0 ports together. Usually one type on front/side and then different in the rear/back. I'm not positive but the USB 1.0 ports probably don't function with this phone.

I usually for best chances always go with the rear/back ports where the rest of your connections are located as those are usually connected right off the mother board/cards and not via cable or other means inside the system. Also remember your best option is use the stock usb cable that came with the phone.

sweat

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I spoke with Samsung today and they confirmed that the mounting issues are due to my phone being defective. This was a replacement from Sprint for my first Epic, which was also defective.

The new phone is likely a refurbished model, which shows just how lousy Sprint's quality control is. Worse yet, they can't guarantee that the third phone won't be a refurb either. The best I was able to do after spending too much time on the phone with them was to get them to send me a new phone, versus having me drive to a store to order one.

This is pathetic.