Note 10/10+ rated to have best camera of any Smartphone out now

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Good to know!

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-note-10-best-smartphone-camera-rated-by-dxomark/

"DxOMark has posted the results of its camera test today. The Galaxy Note 10+ 5G it tested has been awarded an overall mobile score of 113. That’s just one higher than the Huawei P30 Pro’s 112 but it places Samsung’s new flagship at the very top of the list.

It even clinches the top spot for the selfie camera with an overall score of 99 points. Since the 5G model has the same camera setup as the LTE Galaxy Note 10+, this score stands for that model as well. DxOMark ranks devices by capturing and evaluating more than 1500 test images and over 2 hours of video in controlled label environments as well as natural indoor and outdoor scenes with the camera’s default settings."

knowledge775

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
Good to know!

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-note-10-best-smartphone-camera-rated-by-dxomark/

"DxOMark has posted the results of its camera test today. The Galaxy Note 10+ 5G it tested has been awarded an overall mobile score of 113. That’s just one higher than the Huawei P30 Pro’s 112 but it places Samsung’s new flagship at the very top of the list.

It even clinches the top spot for the selfie camera with an overall score of 99 points. Since the 5G model has the same camera setup as the LTE Galaxy Note 10+, this score stands for that model as well. DxOMark ranks devices by capturing and evaluating more than 1500 test images and over 2 hours of video in controlled label environments as well as natural indoor and outdoor scenes with the camera’s default settings."
I saw that. That great!!! It will probably be short lived with Huawei Mate 30 pro coming in September. Also, I take those scores with a grain of salt, the Pixel isn't in the top 5, but the OP7P is .

It also got best current display...

Excited about the Note 10+

knowledge775

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
Also, it looks like Samsung 25 watt charger charges the Note 10+ from 0-100% faster the OP7P 30 watt charger. Beating the OP7P by 25 minutes. That's pretty impressive considering the OP7P has a smaller battery than the Note 10+.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Also, it looks like Samsung 25 watt charger charges the Note 10+ from 0-100% faster the OP7P 30 watt charger. Beating the OP7P by 25 minutes. That's pretty impressive considering the OP7P has a smaller battery than the Note 10+.

Also a battery drain test between 4 phones including Note 10+, Note 9, one plus 7 and an iPhone (not sure which one)
The iPhone fared pretty well to be fair, especially in 4k video but Note 10+ beat op7p into 2nd place, Note 9 was an also ran, must have been the Exynos version.

zigaliro

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site

Also someone did battery drain test between NOTE 10+ Plus vs OnePlus 7 PRO vs iPhone XS MAX and note 10 won.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I love cameras so much (not) I may have taken a total of 4-5 pics since the S3! I use Camera Guard so that nothing can use the cameras on my Note 9. Can't you just "picture" that? 🖼️😜

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's almost certainly software tweaks determining those scores. DxO and most other reviews only look at two things. Auto mode during the day, and auto mode at night. They don't look at how the phones perform in manual mode, or their RAW files . There's a ton that can be adjusted during processing before the image is finally saved, which has been the focus of most manufacturers. People want point and shoot.

If you look at manual mode abilities, the tables can (and have) shift.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
It's almost certainly software tweaks determining those scores. DxO and most other reviews only look at two things. Auto mode during the day, and auto mode at night. They don't look at how the phones perform in manual mode, or their RAW files . There's a ton that can be adjusted during processing before the image is finally saved, which has been the focus of most manufacturers. People want point and shoot.

If you look at manual mode abilities, the tables can (and have) shift.

The problem that DxO has is that when they test everything in auto mode it only tells half the story, because many phones have other modes like portrait, night, pro etc and extra lenses like telephoto, ToF and ultra-wide.

But if they include those modes then it would leave some phones high and dry because they lack those extra features.

So that’s why if you’re looking for a great all round camera phone then it’s worth looking at other reviews as well (e.g TechRadar) to see what parts of the camera are commonly praised and criticised.

That’s why the iPhone XR can achieve the same score as the Pixel 3 and better than the S9 Plus, despite both the P3 and S9 Plus having superior low light photography, more extra modes and the S9 Plus having better zoom.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The problem that DxO has is that when they test everything in auto mode it only tells half the story, because many phones have other modes like portrait, night, pro etc and extra lenses like telephoto, ToF and ultra-wide.

But if they include those modes then it would leave some phones high and dry because they lack those extra features.

That reminds me of their review of the LG V20. It was heavily docked due to LG's aggressive noise reduction creating an almost watercolor effect in auto mode. Yet that phone had the best app for manual controls and saving as RAW files gets around the noise reduction issue. I could take better photos with it than with the top rated smartphone of the time.

I definitely seek out multiple reviews, especially those that go more in depth. When it comes to auto mode, we are basically splitting hairs anymore. At least when looking at flagships, they all have great cameras. The impression put off by reviews like this, praising top scores, make the others look bad instead of being barely beat out.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
That reminds me of their review of the LG V20. It was heavily docked due to LG's aggressive noise reduction creating an almost watercolor effect in auto mode. Yet that phone had the best app for manual controls and saving as RAW files gets around the noise reduction issue. I could take better photos with it than with the top rated smartphone of the time.

I definitely seek out multiple reviews, especially those that go more in depth. When it comes to auto mode, we are basically splitting hairs anymore. At least when looking at flagships, they all have great cameras. The impression put off by reviews like this, praising top scores, make the others look bad instead of being barely beat out.

I agree.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. More like S10 5G if you include the ToF camera. What exactly makes it better?

It is the post processing algorithm Samsung is using. They have taken a clue from the Pixel line up. Phones can all have almost the same camera hardware...but it really is the post processing that makes the picture come out better.
It might be the almost the same hardware as the S10 but the Note 10 has better post processing.